What's the most beautiful game you ever played?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:02 pm

C=Style wrote:Yeah Bioshock is something else aint it. The water effects, right at the beginning when your swimming to the lighthouse.. that's jaw dropping material.

All the little pieces of art work on the walls and other little things scattered around Rapture make it probably the most believable game world I've played in, so much detail. A lot of love went into that game for sure.
I agree 100% with that. I've completed the game so might give it another go some time.
Rez HD is another which I find a visual treat. Playing it almost daily since I downloaded it.

Marmito

Post by Marmito » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:06 pm

Two Worlds

TheCowardlyLion

Post by TheCowardlyLion » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:10 pm

Hmm. Beautiful as in graphically beautiful ? Or beautiful as in the pure, unudulterated, sheer purity of the gaming experience, regardless of the graphics?

For the former, I will say Metroid Prime.

For the latter, I will say Elite.

But I am a fickle character, so that will probably change by tomorrow :D

CharlieWolf

Post by CharlieWolf » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:37 pm

I have to agree with those who've already mentioned Yoshi's Island. Another game that made a huge impact on me in this respect was Final Fantasy VIII. Everything was stunning about it, from the sheer quality of the graphics in general to the beauty of the design of just about everything. Shame some other aspects of the game were fairly flawed. Also, just about any Japanese game with disgustingly cute and colourful visuals tends to make me blush from its beauty.

DANW547

Post by DANW547 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:43 pm

My three favourite games of the last generation of consoles are all beautiful in my opinion, those being Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime and Ninja Gaiden.

Metroid Prime is just incredible in putting you in it's universe, one of the best ever in any regard.
----

Devious

Some Of The PSX Beauties

Post by Devious » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:37 pm

On the PlayStation

Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit
Silent Hill
Bust-A-Groove
Tomb Raider III
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
Guilty Gear

¤ I like NFS3's beautiful scenery, its sequel's scenery even falls short of it.
¤ I like Silent Hill for its realistic depiction of human characters and environments, (the best on PSX).
¤ I like Bust-A-Groove for its high-quality 3D dancers (which had the highest quality of any human-like 3D characters on the PSX at the time of its release).
¤ TR3 for its realistically detailed environments.
¤ TR4 for its intriguing Alexandria levels.
¤ Guilty Gear for its richly detailed 2D animation - Odin Sphere, though published by Atlus, wasn't made by them and has comparatively far worse image quality.

mick_aka

Post by mick_aka » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:57 pm

Myst when it first came out, had me open mouthed and dribbling.

Other than that the only games I would really call 'beautiful' are Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shenmue.

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:57 pm

.... Pac-Man.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:08 pm

I think Kameo deserves a mention here too, what a beautiful game.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:19 pm

Don't know if I've already posted , but flying gracefully through the air in Thanatos was pretty cool
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:37 pm

Two for very different reasons.

#1 Hangliding in Pilotwings 64. The presentation sealed it - the mixture of the music and the graphics made it one of the most peaceful experiences in gaming.
#2 Quake III Arena. I had a super powerful PC when it first came out, and when I played it I was "wow, what great graphics!" for about a week or so of gaming on it!

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:26 pm

Assassins Creed and Resident Evil 4 for the consoles...

Oblivion for the PC - but that's because i'm blessed with an insanely good PC and once you get a few graphics mods for it....WOW :)

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:15 am

rumble roses on ps2................what? :twisted:

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:24 pm

Vir_Lucis wrote: Oblivion for the PC - but that's because i'm blessed with an insanely good PC and once you get a few graphics mods for it....WOW :)
I bet it is "wow" as well! That must look pretty incredible as Oblivion looks beautiful on the 360 as it is. I'd love to see it.

Devious

Cardinal Syn

Post by Devious » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:18 pm

Cardinal Syn had awesome graphics. The characters and environments were so demanding on the PSX that it could take what seemed like five minutes to load a match. Transparency effects were used in some of the costumes. I hear that the PAL version didn't have the alternate costumes for the female characters. The game was largely given poor reviews in the U.S. mainly for political/racist reasons, but if the comprehensive move lists had been published in the U.S. as in Imagine's Play Magazine, the game would have been unstoppable. Undoubtedly, the omission of that comprehensive move list in any U.S. magazine or web site was intentionally done to help the game fail.

The Intro and Outro FMVs were awesome and some were gruesome. They are collectibles.

This is a link to what might be a synopsis of that move list, formerly available online from Play Magazine.