NiGHTS into Dreams on PS2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mick_aka

Post by mick_aka » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:20 pm

Kaede wrote: Image

Not exactly a massive improvement, most the quality issues shown are because the Saturn screenshot is interlaced, certainly not worth me investing in it when I have several copies for Saturn.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:18 pm

Devin wrote: I really hope some of you peeps try this game, can't recommend it enough. It's the definitive version, apparently you can unlock 'Christmas Nights' as well, bonus!
No it's not! The definite version is the original Saturn classic which utilised the Saturn's full 3D capabilities. I don't fancy playing Nights with the Dual Shock 2, it wouldn't feel the same to me at all. Beside this, it's something special playing this game on actual Sega hardware with the proper NiGHTS 3D pad which was designed for this game alone as opposed to an 'update' on a Sony machine, imo of course.

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:44 pm

As somebody who has played (and completed) the Wii version, can I just say in response to a comment a few posts back that the reviewer was talking utter garbage, the Wii game is brilliantly good fun.

I'll be honest, I never really got into the Saturn game as much as I should (it was largely due to the fact my TV was rubbish and stuck on high saturated colour, so it usually hurt my eyes playing it for longer than 10 minutes), so I was eager to play this version.

The storyline is quite painful and somewhere between gorgonzola and edam on the cheese scale, and if you're British the voices will make you want to throw the Wiimote at the TV for horrible stereotypes, but if you look past that and onto the levels they're actually rather playable, with a number of different missions including link building missions and ones which use the characters without Nights (those are a bit boring).

Many people who said "It's not as good as the original" probably never played the original. I say it isn't quite, but it isn't a terrible game.

Word of warning, if you are to play it, play it with the classic controller, it's nigh on impossible with the Wiimote (which is a shame, as it is such a nice idea and works well on the training level, second you have to link build seriously though it's frustrating).

Devin

Post by Devin » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:28 pm

C=Style wrote:No it's not! The definite version is the original Saturn classic which utilised the Saturn's full 3D capabilities.
I'm a Nights nut and have all the original gear including the Saturn 3D Pad, even have the Japanese version in special Christmas Nights packaging and also the UK Christmas demo. From my point of view I love the enhancements and it's great to have everything on the one DVD. Slap it in my PS2 and away I go!
www.blackmoonproject.co.uk - Philips CD-i Gaming... Honest!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:38 pm

Fair enough I'm just not a fan of the Playstation brand much and I hate to see exclusive well loved Sega games being pimped out on other machines. I guess I'm just a bit bitter about it all if truth be told.

Devin

Post by Devin » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:42 pm

I've never been much of a loyalist, the machine is just a vehicle for the games in my opinion. Let the software do the talking! :D

After my pleasant experience with Nights, I'm now pondering what other Japanese PS2 games would be worth picking up? Any advice peeps?
www.blackmoonproject.co.uk - Philips CD-i Gaming... Honest!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:56 pm

I agree that software should do the talking but NiGHTS is a Saturn game, not PS2. :)

As for imports: (if you're into shmups these are unmissable for PS2)

DoDonPachi: Dai Ou Jou
ESP Galuda
Ibara

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:27 pm

I wonder if they will realese a Special edition Sega 3D pad like they did with the Saturn's original controller for the PS2 (If you dont beleive me, search for it, they exsist alright)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:55 pm

Yeah I've seen them Saturn PS2 controllers and they look good. PS2 really needed a decent pad like that. They are in quite high demand though.