NiGHTS into Dreams on PS2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:44 am

Ugly to you maybe, but to people who still play NiGHTS it doesn't look ugly at all.In fact it's quite beautiful.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:50 am

Never played it. In fact, never even heard of it until it was on the cover of the magazine - Which spoiled the cover for me. Being selfish, I wanted a cool xmas cover with something retro retro!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:31 pm

Man, I love the cover of the new Retro Gamer, the artwork is exceptional! puts all the other gaming mags on the shelf to shame.

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:37 pm

Screenies below, looks nicer than the original but the draw distance doesn't look paticularly improved.

Official site is now up:

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:47 pm

As I suspected it's lacking a lot of the intense bright colour of the original, I just don't think the PS2's palette is up to the job myself.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:03 pm

Modern machines don't have a "palette" though.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:14 pm

Well, wotever I'm not into all that tech censored. You know what I mean when you play Mario Sunshine on the GC, those really bright, brilliant colour's that the GC displays, kinda similar to the Saturn in that regard. The PS2 never had a colourful game like that.

Some of those games on the other Sega Ages pack's lacks the original Sega colour too.

You might think I'm just picking holes for the sake of it, but those screenshots look super ugly to me.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:20 pm

And also, which moron thought it was a good idea for Nights to speak? She sounds like a twelve year old schoolgirl from Surrey.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:23 am

C=Style wrote:As I suspected it's lacking a lot of the intense bright colour of the original, I just don't think the PS2's palette is up to the job myself.
There's something wrong with your monitor.
Frank Chickens wrote:And also, which moron thought it was a good idea for Nights to speak? She sounds like a twelve year old schoolgirl from Surrey.
Agreed. Although, this is a remake of the original so none of that bollocks should appear in this version.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:32 am

Man, despite my better judgement, those screenies look amazing. :lol:

Is the game identical to the Saturn version, but with up do date visuals?

Or are there new levels?
Thoughts and prayers.

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:36 am

rossi46 wrote: Is the game identical to the Saturn version, but with up do date visuals?
Yep, that's exactly it. There are extras in the form of gallery options and Christmas NiGHTS is included as an unlockable but there are no new levels.

Pre-ordering my limited edition version. 8)

Oh, and Rossi, import PS2's are pretty damn cheap these days. :wink:
Last edited by Kaede on Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:37 am

**Sighs heavily while reaching for credit card**

:roll: :lol: :wink:
Thoughts and prayers.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:44 pm

rossi46 wrote:I'm in denial :?

Is nothing sacred, Sega? :cry: :evil:

What next - a mobile phone version of PD Saga?
You premonition has proved nearly correct in that Virtua Fighter 2 is now on mobile phone!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:55 pm

Yeah but that's not the same as it will be crap by default, as it's on a mobile. All mobile gaming sucks, certainly not a game so technical as VF2 would work on a crappy mobile.

Devin

Post by Devin » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:49 pm

Goodie Gum Drops! A proper thread about Nights, but I'm surprised no one is gushing about this excellent port already! :?

I've been an acting crash test dummy and fired up a method to get this baby working on a UK PS2 without screwing up your console with modchips. Just read this thread, yes click right on these words here! Scan down the page for my useful tips and tricks. It's a really lavish port and even has an original 'Saturn Mode' that you can compare and play against the superior redux of Nights more suited to the PS2's capabilities. Many of the words are in English so it's easy to get into this game and use a little guesswork for the limited Japanese that is displayed. Otherwise, welcome again to your old sore left thumb from over use of the analogue joystick whilst you glide through the air!

I really hope some of you peeps try this game, can't recommend it enough. It's the definitive version, apparently you can unlock 'Christmas Nights' as well, bonus!
www.blackmoonproject.co.uk - Philips CD-i Gaming... Honest!