NiGHTS into Dreams on PS2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:50 pm

Ignorance is someone who hasn't played it and doesn't own the console saying they don't like it.
The Saturn is the worst console I own and Nights I was disappointed with. I am probably guilty of a bit of trolling. So sorry about that. Its just that I don't get this 'it belongs on the Saturn, how dare they put it on Sony, blah, blah'.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:28 pm

It's no problem man, I find it funny when people censored down the Saturn. But usually these people only ever owned a PAL version which was only half of the Saturn story. To appreciate the console you need to go import, there's so many cool games and hidden gems out there for it. Coupled with the perfect joypad, there's some serious gameplay to be had with the Saturn. But you HAVE to go import and 60hz to experience it.

As for NiGHTS, it was a shallow experience looking from the outside, but if you persevered with it you would find an incredibly addictive and complex game, which makes you want to come back to beat your link records and high scores. Once you really got into it, it was great. I still play it to this day and it always feels fresh. Maybe you didn't give it enough chance?

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:38 pm

I know I didn't give it a chance. There are too many games in the world. If after 2 or 3 plays I am not hooked then it goes on the 'will probably never play again' pile.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:47 pm

SirClive wrote:Whatever :roll: The game was rubbish anyway and on a rubbish console.
Haha!! I forgot about this thread :lol:

Imagine having a spectrum related user name and avatar, then announcing that line!

Comedy line of the year! :lol: :lol: :wink:

EVERY game on the Spectrum was wank!
Thoughts and prayers.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:59 pm

SirClive wrote:Ignorance is someone who hasn't played it and doesn't own the console saying they don't like it.
The Saturn is the worst console I own and Nights I was disappointed with. I am probably guilty of a bit of trolling. So sorry about that. Its just that I don't get this 'it belongs on the Saturn, how dare they put it on Sony, blah, blah'.
It's only trolling if you don't believe it to be true.

What you did is "Flamebait".
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:02 pm

Ooh, thats a new one on me.

Acheivement unlocked: Flamebait 8)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:04 pm

rossi46 wrote:
SirClive wrote:Whatever :roll: The game was rubbish anyway and on a rubbish console.
Haha!! I forgot about this thread :lol:

Imagine having a spectrum related user name and avatar, then announcing that line!

Comedy line of the year! :lol: :lol: :wink:

EVERY game on the Spectrum was wank!
Now that one is trolling ;)

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:07 pm

That is our new adopted word here for whoever has a go at a game, console, user, etc... they don't like. Awaiting my first Flamebait.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:21 pm

Troll, flamebait or whatever - I think it's great that years after their release, the titles can still cause members to get defensive or aggressive or passionate enough to post opinions about them online.

Personally, I thought Nights into Dreams was a work of genius. You either 'got' it or not back in the day. As previously posted, a casual observer may get the impression that Nights was a case of style over content, but nothing could be further from the truth as was found out by those who took the time to dig deeper.

It's a seminal classic.

The anti-Sony stuff from a few posts ago was only semi-meant. I retro throwback to the heady days of Saturn Vs. PSX :roll:

It's all good (though I won't retract my Spectrum comment) :twisted:
Last edited by rossi46 on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts and prayers.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:23 pm

Nor me the Saturn one :) . Though my Saturn comment was fact and your Spectrum one was not even a true opinion.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:29 pm

SirClive wrote:Nor me the Saturn one :) . Though my Saturn comment was fact and your Spectrum one was not even a true opinion.
LOL every time one of these arguments spark up, I always yearn for Tudor pickled onion crisps. They were my favourite playground snack.
Thoughts and prayers.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:05 pm

New Wii version given only 6.5 by IGN :shock:

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/842/842331p1.html
So after waiting over a decade for a new Nights experience, what's the final verdict? Personally, we'd rather have seen this one stay a nostalgic piece of gaming history, as Journey of Dreams isn't exactly the spectacular homecoming we were hoping for as huge fans of the original Saturn classic. The control is too stiff, odd design choices will have players repeating full levels rather than incorporating a simple checkpoint system which would have saved both progress and sanity alike, and there's a huge amount of emphasis put on non-Nights gameplay, having players control the human children in very unrewarding sections, and incorporating sloppy alternate gameplay rather than just focusing on what made the original so captivating in the first place. Nights still has its moments, as the style is there, the entire story is told with full VO (and some decent, if not a bit over-the-top voice acting throughout), and the boss battles specifically are pretty captivating. In the end it's simply a bit too rough all around, too short (less than three hours with each child will see the end), and strays from what made Nights so entertaining in the first place; the simple joy of flight.

Now that the series is alive again, we're anxious to see a sequel that catches Nights back up to speed. It's obvious that SEGA wanted to go big with the return of franchise, as the scope of the game has been opened tremendously. With some polish, a more focused design, and some refined flight control we could see Nights making a true return. It'll need a pretty sizeable overhaul from what Wii gamers are getting with Journey of Dreams though, which ends up appealing only to the most die-hard (and extremely forgiving) of its original fan base.
The most it's been given so far is an 8.0 by GameZone Online.

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:56 am

Yeah this new one sounds terrible. Seems every time developers resurrect older games these days they care more for adding pointless story elements than gameplay.

Still looking forward to the PS2 remake though.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:34 am

Fact is, it doesn't need a remake, it's perfect as it is. The gameplay couldn't possibly improve and it would look ugly with 60fps and high res visuals.

It can only go downhill.. :?

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:37 am

C=Style wrote:Fact is, it doesn't need a remake, it's perfect as it is. The gameplay couldn't possibly improve and it would look ugly with 60fps and high res visuals.

It can only go downhill.. :?
What? The original, like most Saturn 3d games looks pretty damn fugly now. The biggest gripe being the draw distance which means you can never see where the hell you are going. Not to mention the underwater and tobogganing sections. :x

Better draw distance and clearer graphics will enhance the original. If the gameplay stays in tact then that's enough to warant a purchase.