Mame

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:08 pm

Finally worked it out. Woo hoo! Thanks for your help.

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:02 pm

My personal opinion is that once a companys game has been around for 20 years, then that games then gets placed in the public domain and all copyright bullshit goes west.

Look at games like Space Invaders, Pac Man, Tetris, Bubble Bobble.......

How many consoles and computers have these games been on!!!

Anyhow. I love my MAME and no-one is taking it away from me!! 8) :D :D
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:35 pm

Nightbreed wrote:My personal opinion is that once a companys game has been around for 20 years, then that games then gets placed in the public domain and all copyright bullshit goes west.

Look at games like Space Invaders, Pac Man, Tetris, Bubble Bobble.......

How many consoles and computers have these games been on!!!

Anyhow. I love my MAME and no-one is taking it away from me!! 8) :D :D
But those games are STILL the intellectual property of the ORIGINAL company* and are licensed/sold under an agreement each time

*yes, I realise Tetris is the odd one out here, you could write a book about the complicated history of the Tetris license...

Nightbreed

Re:

Post by Nightbreed » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:51 pm

[quote="merman"] I realise Tetris is the odd one out here, you could write a book about the complicated history of the Tetris license...

Did you ever see the documentary about the Mirrorsoft and Nintendos legal battles over tetris.

Fantastic stuff. :D
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:17 pm

Nightbreed wrote:
merman wrote: I realise Tetris is the odd one out here, you could write a book about the complicated history of the Tetris license...

Did you ever see the documentary about the Mirrorsoft and Nintendos legal battles over tetris.

Fantastic stuff. :D
Well I have it here somewhere but haven't watched it yet... my PS was meant to be a little sarcastic, in that there already is a book about Tetris...

bolda

Post by bolda » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:16 am

What about all the developers that make "retro remakes"... even if they don't charge for their games, they probably don't have the original developers permission to "reproduce" their game. We all know what happened to Great Gianna Sisters back in the day, but if someone made a clone of Super Mario Bros today, Nintendo probably wouldn't bat an eye lid. Is that indicative of the atttitude of companies who own the copyright to classic games? Is it valid to make such a generalisation?
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

Magic Knight

Post by Magic Knight » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:41 am

Does anyone actually care if they are breaking the law? I own the majority of games released for the majority of retro formats. I have no right to have those roms on my PC and what I am doing is against the law, well big deal. Any game I want on the PC or PSP I go and buy, but I have no qualms about downloading retro titles to play on emu's.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:55 am

Yeah i'm with you on that. Playing 20 year old roms/games may be illegal but on the whole 'illegal' side of things its not that bad at all.

The rights and wrongs of roms get a bit dull, i can see the argument on both sides but i can sleep at night knowing i have some 20 year old roms. Any latest PC games i buy as i would feel guilty about copying those but 20 year old ones, i dont bat an eyelid.

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:10 am

bolda wrote:What about all the developers that make "retro remakes"... even if they don't charge for their games, they probably don't have the original developers permission to "reproduce" their game. We all know what happened to Great Gianna Sisters back in the day, but if someone made a clone of Super Mario Bros today, Nintendo probably wouldn't bat an eye lid. Is that indicative of the atttitude of companies who own the copyright to classic games? Is it valid to make such a generalisation?
Nintendo probably would bat an eyelid - and then bat someone's head.

There's a difference between what is and isn't legal, and what is and isn't ethical.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian