Guitar Hero

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Guitar Hero

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:32 am

Anyone got this yet? It's bloody great :lol:

Here's my yongest demonstrating her awesome skills...

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:30 pm

Cute photo. :D I'm awaiting the PAL release on 7th April.

backdrifter

Post by backdrifter » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:18 pm

It's bloody brilliant! Bought it a month or so ago (cos me £65 altogether) but well worth it.

Only managed to struggle my way through 'medium' thus far. Dread to think how I'll cope once that fifth fret is introduced! Oh, and a shame they had to include a Franz Ferdinand song :wink:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:44 pm

This is what gaming's all about!
Suprised Nintendo didn't think of it first though...
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:45 pm

Would have brought it back with me when in the US in November if there'd been enough room left in my luggage ;)

Defo cool... got to play it a bit in a shop whilst game trawling then.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:01 am

backdrifter wrote:Dread to think how I'll cope once that fifth fret is introduced!
Think yourself it's not got as many frets as a real guitar (and steel strings)!

iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Koffdrop

Post by Koffdrop » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:08 am

My two attempts to import this from the US (Once via import madness just before they hiked the price up and stopped responding to my emails, once from Red Octane themselves) have utterly failed. It's now a problem for Mastercard, not me.

As such, my Xmas 2005 gift should be with me in PAL form in April. Yay.

As Darran may or may not know, I'm fairly chatty with a bunch of Highbury folk (Mart and Keza mainly) and I've already heard countless stories about this. I fully intend to 'rock out' once I get my mits on it.

Is it true that playing 2-player mode makes you look just like Status Quo? Is that a good thing?

(Apparently, a Country and Metal edition are under production)

RETRO FACT: Kelly Sumner, ex Commodore Boss, is now boss of Red Octane!
paranoid marvin wrote:This is what gaming's all about!
Suprised Nintendo didn't think of it first though...
When you look at the facts, Nintendo very very rarely innovated. You show me a Nitendo 'innovation' I'll show you where they got it from.

I really REALLY hate the current mentality of this culture in respect of Nintendo / innovation. It's totally unjustified when you look objectively at the industry.

Example: Anyone who ever played LCP (or even Dogz or Creatures) would see Nintendogs for what it really is.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:22 am

Thing is, Nintendo is at least trying something different with control methods for its consoles, by default (without you having to buy extras), and this "forces" developers to think about changing elements of the gameplay and controls. Sometimes, this results in a gimmicky game, but in other cases (the DS Kirby game), you do end up with something that may not be entirely original, but that's definitely more innovative than the bulk of games for sale today.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Koffdrop

Re:

Post by Koffdrop » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:47 am

CraigGrannell wrote:Thing is, Nintendo is at least trying something different with control methods for its consoles, by default (without you having to buy extras),
They are? So we should all fix things that aren't broken and pay extra for a shell controller to play conventional games that still appeal to people?

On the contrary, Nintendo have a vision and they will 'force' gamers who adopt the console to play Nintendo games in one way at the expense of gaming overall.
and this "forces" developers to think about changing elements of the gameplay and controls.
As an ex-developer, I can tell you, we don't like being forced to think a certain why whilst we pay our licence fees to produce a money-spinner for Nintendo who will then trample over our sales by releasing a Pokemon game in the first week.

Have a look at Nintendo charts for GBA, GBC or GCN in any week in the last 4 or 5 years and you'll see that the people that make money from Nintendo are Nintendo (and 1st parties).

Developers will say good things about Nintendo publicly (mainly due to the fanboy backlash if they dare to criticise them publicly) but from what I know saying something and investing 50% of your cashflow and company into it are very different things. Witness the third party support for N64 and GCN as a result.

Additionally, Nintendo are understandably dictating to Revolution developers that whatever they do it must show off the unique features of their system. This puts them into a pretty tight corner.
but that's definitely more innovative than the bulk of games for sale today.
That depends on where you look.

Novel control setups don't automatically equate to wonderful games. Nintendo would have you believe that gaming is stale and unimaginative without their 'solution'. My very firm belief is that gaming ISN'T broken and it doesn't need fixing.

Innovation doesn't start with an N and gimmicky controllers won't solve the imaginary ailment that Nintendo is suggesting this culture suffers from.

Their entire gamble, right now, is to make gamers believe there is a problem with conventional games and that only Nintendo have the means to address that problem.

Emperor's new clothes?

I really need to shut up on this now. Feel free to PM or message me if you wish to discuss this further. My website has plenty of articles demonstrating my picking apart of Nintendo's methods.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:10 pm

Sony had the right idea by getting all the developers on their side
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:58 pm

Koffdrop wrote:When you look at the facts, Nintendo very very rarely innovated. You show me a Nitendo 'innovation' I'll show you where they got it from.

I really REALLY hate the current mentality of this culture in respect of Nintendo / innovation. It's totally unjustified when you look objectively at the industry.

Example: Anyone who ever played LCP (or even Dogz or Creatures) would see Nintendogs for what it really is.
You, sir, are a LEGEND.

:D

I salute you.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

eggman

Re:

Post by eggman » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:45 pm

Koffdrop wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:Thing is, Nintendo is at least trying something different with control methods for its consoles, by default (without you having to buy extras),
They are? So we should all fix things that aren't broken and pay extra for a shell controller to play conventional games that still appeal to people?

On the contrary, Nintendo have a vision and they will 'force' gamers who adopt the console to play Nintendo games in one way at the expense of gaming overall.
and this "forces" developers to think about changing elements of the gameplay and controls.
As an ex-developer, I can tell you, we don't like being forced to think a certain why whilst we pay our licence fees to produce a money-spinner for Nintendo who will then trample over our sales by releasing a Pokemon game in the first week.

Have a look at Nintendo charts for GBA, GBC or GCN in any week in the last 4 or 5 years and you'll see that the people that make money from Nintendo are Nintendo (and 1st parties).

Developers will say good things about Nintendo publicly (mainly due to the fanboy backlash if they dare to criticise them publicly) but from what I know saying something and investing 50% of your cashflow and company into it are very different things. Witness the third party support for N64 and GCN as a result.

Additionally, Nintendo are understandably dictating to Revolution developers that whatever they do it must show off the unique features of their system. This puts them into a pretty tight corner.
but that's definitely more innovative than the bulk of games for sale today.
That depends on where you look.

Novel control setups don't automatically equate to wonderful games. Nintendo would have you believe that gaming is stale and unimaginative without their 'solution'. My very firm belief is that gaming ISN'T broken and it doesn't need fixing.

Innovation doesn't start with an N and gimmicky controllers won't solve the imaginary ailment that Nintendo is suggesting this culture suffers from.

Their entire gamble, right now, is to make gamers believe there is a problem with conventional games and that only Nintendo have the means to address that problem.

Emperor's new clothes?

I really need to shut up on this now. Feel free to PM or message me if you wish to discuss this further. My website has plenty of articles demonstrating my picking apart of Nintendo's methods.
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter " :lol:

P.S Couldn't see a link to your site (didn't look that hard to be honest) Whats the address?

Koffdrop

Re:

Post by Koffdrop » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:55 pm

revgiblet wrote:You, sir, are a LEGEND.

:D

I salute you.
Please, don't encourage me.
eggman wrote:"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter " :lol:

P.S Couldn't see a link to your site (didn't look that hard to be honest) Whats the address?
You can click on the shiny Image button below my posts.

Alternatively, just point your browser at http://www.koffdrop.com

Email subscription and RSS feeds available for your convenience.

:idea: :idea:

Hey, you guys should know what I'm referring to in the slogan for my site. :wink:

eggman

Post by eggman » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:13 pm

Ahh, Never noticed them links before!

About the slogan, as a quick guess it sounds like a cheat for Sonic on the Mega Drive. But I am probably wrong!
:P

Also, staying on topic. I'm waiting patiently for the UK release of Guitar Hero. Really looking forward to it :D Does it come with one guitar or two? Probably one... hope they sell guitars on their own as well.

backdrifter

Re:

Post by backdrifter » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:56 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
backdrifter wrote:Dread to think how I'll cope once that fifth fret is introduced!
Think yourself it's not got as many frets as a real guitar (and steel strings)!

Well, today the fifth fret came into play. And I took to it like the proverbial fish to water :D

Hence my next extravagent purchase may just be that guitar I've been promising myself for the last two years....