Assasins Creed on PS3 - LOOKS STUNNING! :)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Universal
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:25 pm
Location: Cornwall

Post by The Universal » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:05 am

will2097 wrote:It's like the secret sequel to Immercenary on the 3DO. Well - I reckon it is.

Okay, given, Immercenary sent you to the future and not the ancient past like Assassins Creed, but the male Doctor and female assistant is the same, the time travel element is the same, the time machine looks like a dentists chair (sort of) and that's the same. You are marching around different areas of a revolutionary 3D world beating bosses as your powers gradually improve. Which is the same. And there is a loose biblical sort of feel to both. So that's the same. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immercenary

I would imagine (and hope) I am the only one to have seen this parallel. :?
And with that sweeping statement you have just sold me on a new release I had absolutey no interest in. Immercenary also got slated despite being awesome if I remember correctly.
Just where is Mickey T?

User avatar
MikeHaggar
Posts: 4787
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Post by MikeHaggar » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:19 am

SirClive wrote:Anyone know what the difference between the 360 and PS3 versions is? Just cosmetic?
PS3 version got worse framerate and got issues on some people consoles, especially with 2.00+ firmware apparently.

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11132
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:35 am

MikeHaggar wrote:
SirClive wrote:Anyone know what the difference between the 360 and PS3 versions is? Just cosmetic?
PS3 version got worse framerate and got issues on some people consoles, especially with 2.00+ firmware apparently.
On top of that the lighting is apparantly better on the 360 version (gametrailers.com has a comparion video between the 2 versions)

I read on various boards that not being connected to the internet and disabling scrolling info bar (thats on the top right of the dashboard) helps somewhat with the framerate.

Could work, Framerate on a couple of games can be pretty bad when I am connected to the internet (Ninja Gaiden Sigma) and disconnecting from it makes everything dandy again.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Post by SirClive » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:58 am

That kind of thing I don't notice, so nothing in the way of different content then.
Image

User avatar
will2097
Posts: 3909
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Post by will2097 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:16 am

The Universal wrote:
will2097 wrote:It's like the secret sequel to Immercenary on the 3DO. Well - I reckon it is.

Okay, given, Immercenary sent you to the future and not the ancient past like Assassins Creed, but the male Doctor and female assistant is the same, the time travel element is the same, the time machine looks like a dentists chair (sort of) and that's the same. You are marching around different areas of a revolutionary 3D world beating bosses as your powers gradually improve. Which is the same. And there is a loose biblical sort of feel to both. So that's the same. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immercenary

I would imagine (and hope) I am the only one to have seen this parallel. :?
And with that sweeping statement you have just sold me on a new release I had absolutey no interest in. Immercenary also got slated despite being awesome if I remember correctly.
Indeed. Immercenary was pretty good only if you got past the first 10 minutes where the only thing you could was die. (Over and over and over again!)

Assassins creed is pretty easy too.

User avatar
sleeper77
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:14 pm

Post by sleeper77 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:38 pm

To what I have read of those who have played it, the general view is that the graphics are the best they have ever seen but the gameplay a massive letdown. All I can say to that is the hype factory has won again.

User avatar
EvilArmourKing
Posts: 2869
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Mishima Zaibatsu HQ
Contact:

Post by EvilArmourKing » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:03 pm

[quote="StarEye"]It's only getting slated for not living up to the extreme amount of hype it's gotten. People say, "omfg, worst game evah" and such, because it wasn't exactly like they thought it was going to be. But in reality, the game is very very good, and well worth your money, imo.


Who said that then, Vicky Pollard? :lol:
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

User avatar
StarEye
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:24 am

Post by StarEye » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:31 pm

It may have been a slight exaggerated, but I have read lines that goes something like "wow, what a crappy game" and "I took it back right away".

User avatar
will2097
Posts: 3909
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Post by will2097 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:29 pm

sleeper77 wrote:To what I have read of those who have played it, the general view is that the graphics are the best they have ever seen but the gameplay a massive letdown. All I can say to that is the hype factory has won again.
Assassins creed is not Driv3r. (Driv3r being a hugely over-hyped but disappointing game)

Not by a long chalk. The crappy bits are things like repetitive voice acting and there isn't a huge variety in the missions - it's kind of repetitive. (Pick pocket mission, bully mission, eaves drop mission, etc)

Having said that there is enough scope to tailor a uniqueness to each individual missions. Do I do a vanguard? do a sneak? do I shoot him with daggers from a distance? How do I get to my target? Should i eliminate the guards first? Random interactions from members of the public add a bit of spice and deciding to flight or flight is a genuine choice.

There is satisfaction in fighting. There is satisfaction in escaping. Street level? Roof top? Fortress? Countryside? How do i escape? How do I fight?There are a lot of choices within the confines of the game mechanics.

(it's a bit like a medieval GTA3 in some respects - more horses, less cars.)

The game, in all aspects, is very rewarding.

Also, there is a lot to be said for clambering over a 1200AD Cathedral too.

It's by no means a bad game.

Expecting a TEH NXT GEN INTERACTIVE WRLD extravaganza was hoping for a bit much. What did people expect? It's just a computer after all.

Will

User avatar
StarEye
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:24 am

Post by StarEye » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:24 pm

Assassin's Creed is one of my favourite games so far this year. It's well worth checking out, and I absolutely love the atmosphere. And climbing in the highest tower of Dalmascus was a fantastic experience, the draw distance is exceptional. All the way up there, and I could still see the people walking around in the streets, looking like little ants. Then when you've soaked the atmosphere by just admiring the view for a minute, jump straight down into a wagon of hay.

Falling like that really is a kick.

User avatar
Elgin_McQueen
Posts: 6773
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:08 am
Location: Elgin, Scotland

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:39 am

Assassin's Creed easter egg for ya'all.


http://www.gamebrink.com/blog/2007/11/2 ... sins-creed
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Image

davrho
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:37 am

Post by davrho » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:56 am

Its a great game enjoying it. Taking my time completing the missions, finding the flags and butchering every fecking soldier i can lol. I enjoy just walking down the street stealth killing every soldier and trying not to be spotted. This, the gameplay, is what tenchu should have developed into.

User avatar
The Last Ginja
Posts: 2005
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:29 pm
Location: Currently Adventuring in Norwich

Post by The Last Ginja » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:58 am

will2097 wrote:
sleeper77 wrote:To what I have read of those who have played it, the general view is that the graphics are the best they have ever seen but the gameplay a massive letdown. All I can say to that is the hype factory has won again.
Assassins creed is not Driv3r. (Driv3r being a hugely over-hyped but disappointing game)

Not by a long chalk. The crappy bits are things like repetitive voice acting and there isn't a huge variety in the missions - it's kind of repetitive. (Pick pocket mission, bully mission, eaves drop mission, etc)

Having said that there is enough scope to tailor a uniqueness to each individual missions. Do I do a vanguard? do a sneak? do I shoot him with daggers from a distance? How do I get to my target? Should i eliminate the guards first? Random interactions from members of the public add a bit of spice and deciding to flight or flight is a genuine choice.

There is satisfaction in fighting. There is satisfaction in escaping. Street level? Roof top? Fortress? Countryside? How do i escape? How do I fight?There are a lot of choices within the confines of the game mechanics.

(it's a bit like a medieval GTA3 in some respects - more horses, less cars.)

The game, in all aspects, is very rewarding.

Also, there is a lot to be said for clambering over a 1200AD Cathedral too.

It's by no means a bad game.

Expecting a TEH NXT GEN INTERACTIVE WRLD extravaganza was hoping for a bit much. What did people expect? It's just a computer after all.

Will
My thoughts exactly. I've been looking forward to this since it was annoucned and I'm not disappointed. I never get too excited about games and do try and avoid the hype if possible. I'm playing the PS3 version.

User avatar
will2097
Posts: 3909
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Post by will2097 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:26 am

I finished this today. It was pretty good all told. I played the Ps3 version too!

Barkie
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 10:34 am

Post by Barkie » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:26 am

Got it with my ps3 at the weekend and so far from what i have played it's a great game.

It is a bit like prince of persia / Tenchu.

With this and Warhawk i haven't had much sleep.

If the Game store i got mine from is anything to go by Sony are going to be happy there was a massive queue with most people buying 40gb PS3's.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests