Assasins Creed on PS3 - LOOKS STUNNING! :)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

yethboth

Assasins Creed on PS3 - LOOKS STUNNING! :)

Post by yethboth » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:49 pm

Saw the trailer for it on the telly the other day and it looks really impressive! :D

Has anyone played it yet? If so, is it good?

I am currently saving up to buy the new re-priced PS3 at 299 quid and I am planning to buy Assasins Creed as my first PS3 game in time for Xmas. :D

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:15 pm

Oh dear............. do you want to tell him or should I? :(

The game is getting slatted mate, which is a shame cos I was looking forward to it as well, apparently it's a huge disappointment.
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

old_speccer

Post by old_speccer » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:02 pm

Been playing it on my PS3 since Saturday and it's great. The GFX are some of the best I've seen in a long time, and the gameplay is pretty good too. It does feel a little bit clunky in places, especially with the combat but you get used to it fairly quickly. The story gets a lot better the further on you get, which is a good thing!
8/10 so far from me and definatly worth getting ...

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:28 pm

I'm loving it. Definately an 8/10 for me.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:53 pm

James Bond wrote:Oh dear............. do you want to tell him or should I? :(

The game is getting slatted mate, which is a shame cos I was looking forward to it as well, apparently it's a huge disappointment.
The reviews seem to be divided on this game. I've seen as many big review sites and mags give it high 8 or 9/10 reviews. Though as you pointed out a few have also given it lower reviews (though the lowest I've seen are 7's and that really isn't bad - is it?)

Either way, once the new year rolls around I'll be playing it and judge for myself. I wonder what Edge will give it...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

will2097

Post by will2097 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:38 pm

SirClive wrote:I'm loving it. Definately an 8/10 for me.
Same here. There's a lot to be said for sprinting across the roof tops of ancient Damascus, leaping, climbing and bounding and then ending it by driving a dagger into the throat of some guy harassing a monk..

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:28 pm

It's only getting slated for not living up to the extreme amount of hype it's gotten. People say, "omfg, worst game evah" and such, because it wasn't exactly like they thought it was going to be. But in reality, the game is very very good, and well worth your money, imo.

If you come into a game expecting too much, you'll always be disappointed. People buy 6/7 out of 10 games all the time, and they have fun with it.

If the game hadn't been hyped to death, it would've gotten more consistant reviews, I think. It'd end up in the 90s on metacritics or gamerankings. But now it's losing points for not being the second coming that people somehow thought it would be. Which is dumb, imo. A game shouldn't lose the credentials just because it didn't live up to the hype. Heck, you're not reviewing the PR department, you're reviewing the game.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:43 pm

It's like the secret sequel to Immercenary on the 3DO. Well - I reckon it is.

Okay, given, Immercenary sent you to the future and not the ancient past like Assassins Creed, but the male Doctor and female assistant is the same, the time travel element is the same, the time machine looks like a dentists chair (sort of) and that's the same. You are marching around different areas of a revolutionary 3D world beating bosses as your powers gradually improve. Which is the same. And there is a loose biblical sort of feel to both. So that's the same. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immercenary

I would imagine (and hope) I am the only one to have seen this parallel. :?

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:11 pm

I imagine you're the only one to have seen that parallel because you're one of the few that's even heard of the game. :D

wilf

Post by wilf » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:25 am

Isn't this just Prince of Persia a bit further down the road?

Looks nice but then most modern games look nice. It's probably pretty hard not to make a nice looking game these days with an army of artists and GPU power gone mad!

Will look to play it once I get tired of my Lynx ;)
Which won't happen.

kiniki

Post by kiniki » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:21 am

The game is definately suffering due to its hype.

Developers really need to tread a fine line between making people aware of a product and ramming it down peoples throats.

I haven't played it, but I'm sure its a good game. It wouldn't have suffered so heavily in reviews it it hadn't been hyped so much. That said Ubisoft are gonna get loads of sales because of the hype so it wont hurt them financially.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:35 am

TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:51 am

wilf wrote:Isn't this just Prince of Persia a bit further down the road?
They both have swordfighting and climbing, but that's where the similarities end. They are very different games, and it's pretty much a different experience altogether, compared to any game.

In other words, no, they're totally different games.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:57 am

Anyone know what the difference between the 360 and PS3 versions is? Just cosmetic?

wilf

Post by wilf » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:00 am

StarEye wrote:
wilf wrote:Isn't this just Prince of Persia a bit further down the road?
They both have swordfighting and climbing, but that's where the similarities end. They are very different games, and it's pretty much a different experience altogether, compared to any game.

In other words, no, they're totally different games.
Fair enough. I guess I should play the game. The preview videos I saw looked pretty PoP, though. I should imagine the game has the same mechanics (albeit well modified for newer consoles) at its core.
Both games are Ubisoft Montreal I notice. Those guys appear to know how to make nice games.