Weird version of Sonic 3 i've got!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Beef

Weird version of Sonic 3 i've got!

Post by Beef » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:12 pm

I have just acquired a weird Sonic 3. It has this cover

But it has a Japanese-style cart and there is a sticker on the inside cover which reads "PAL SEGA". It has 2 instruction manuals, one in Japanese and one in English, and the text on the back cover is in English. It has the Japanese Mega Drive sign on the top, yet on the bottom it reads "For sale in Asia except Japan and Korea", just to narrow it down a bit. I never knew there was PAL for Japanese carts!!! Anyway, where is it from and is it rare?!

MRMIdAS

Post by MRMIdAS » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:53 pm

Could be chinese......

No idea though.
Loading "sig"

Please Wait......

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:18 pm

Arrgh! that be a Pirate cart. :wink: Its not worth much but its an intresting thing to own, if it works properly and contains the full game thats a bonus

Dudley

Re: Weird version of Sonic 3 i've got!

Post by Dudley » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:30 pm

Beef wrote:I have just acquired a weird Sonic 3. It has this cover

But it has a Japanese-style cart and there is a sticker on the inside cover which reads "PAL SEGA". It has 2 instruction manuals, one in Japanese and one in English, and the text on the back cover is in English. It has the Japanese Mega Drive sign on the top, yet on the bottom it reads "For sale in Asia except Japan and Korea", just to narrow it down a bit. I never knew there was PAL for Japanese carts!!! Anyway, where is it from and is it rare?!
Well it's clearly NOT a Japanese cart is it? The clue being "Not for sale in Japan". There's just a little more to Asia than Japan.

It'll be Chinese most likely (I'm assuming you wouldn't be able to tell the difference being written Chinese and Japanese), which certainly is PAL. Alternatives include Hong Kong, Macau, Fiji and Thailand, all of which are also PAL.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Beef

Post by Beef » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:04 pm

Ah, I thought since Japanese MD games are NTSC that all Asian ones would probably be. Nope, i've got no idea what language it's written in, although i'm guessing it isn't Japanese or Korean now haha! It has a receipt from the previous owner inside of £54.99 from "Solid Gold Games Centre" in 1994! That doesn't help deciphering where it's from like, just some additional info!

will2097

Post by will2097 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:46 pm

Beef wrote:Ah, I thought since Japanese MD games are NTSC that all Asian ones would probably be. Nope, i've got no idea what language it's written in, although i'm guessing it isn't Japanese or Korean now haha! It has a receipt from the previous owner inside of £54.99 from "Solid Gold Games Centre" in 1994! That doesn't help deciphering where it's from like, just some additional info!
Take a picture of the back of the box and I'll tell you. Chinese looks very similiar to Japanese but Korean is very different to both.

Japanese written language uses Chinese characters, in fact it's based on it, but that's not the whole story. The Japanese also have their own written characters too; hiragana and katakana.

Weirdly, even though the spoken languages are entirely different, Japanese people can make some sense of written Chinese, in the same way English people can make some sense of other European languages.

The big give away is that Korean has lots of the "o" character, where as Chinese and Japanese don't. It's easy to spot.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:54 pm

If you want an actual guess, I'm going to say it comes from Hong Kong.

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:17 am

I'm gonna guess it comes from space.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:42 am

I'd go for a China market, if you look at dvd region coding, region 2 includes Australia and parts of Asia so maybe games are released over there too? Must be someone who can answer that quite easily.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:20 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:I'd go for a China market, if you look at dvd region coding, region 2 includes Australia and parts of Asia so maybe games are released over there too? Must be someone who can answer that quite easily.
No, the DVD regioning has nothing to do with games at all. Japan actually uses Region 2 NTSC for DVDs which is just weird.

However, Hong Kong did of course have very strong ties to the UK at that time and that dictates Asian region releases. Even now most Asian 360 releases are region free and in English.

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:29 am

i have a asian version of sonic 2 its quite normal. its in japanese with a english and japanese manual. its is usualy relesed them from malasya and Hong kong Austrtalia Aisan region

but..... asia didnt hace genisis it was just cald mega drive. MD in red and green in a black square some wear on the cart

this is a japanese version, the asian version has the word asian version in a star shaped rosette basicly its the same game

MRMIdAS

Post by MRMIdAS » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:11 pm

THAT looks like a bootleg.
Loading "sig"

Please Wait......

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:12 pm

Dudley's guess of Hong Kong is most likely to be correct. It's certainly not Japanese, as I have the Japanese version. I also have a cartridge bearing the same design as the cover you have, without the box, manual, etc.
MRMIdAS wrote:THAT looks like a bootleg.
That's not a bootleg. That's a genuine Japanese version.

Anyway, Beef, I wouldn't get too excited, I wouldn't class it as "rare", I would however class it as "lucky find". So fairly rare, but not really of value.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:32 pm

MRMIdAS wrote:THAT looks like a bootleg.
that is a real japanese game box, its not my actual game picture, just robed the pic. to show what a original copy of a asian one would look like

Nitters

Post by Nitters » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:42 pm

Chinese and Japanese don't look that similar.
#define QUESTION ((bb) | !(bb)) - Shakespeare.