The best game stores in BRITAIN

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:22 pm

oli_lar wrote:Wish we had stores like this in Sheffield - the Gamestation on the Moor was pretty dire and overpriced to begin with, but now theres just nothing at all of interest in there..

Theres that place by the market too but thats pretty dire.

The place near Maplins has a bit of retro stuff in but the selections very small.
I live in Sheffiled too - you are referring to Playtime I think. Bought there entire Saturn stock (15 games) for about £25. Rotherham Gamestation is better. Act Raiser is in there for £15 and I'm considering it. The car boot season is closed in Sheffield. Springtime is always great for that kinda stuff (people clearing out attics)
Can't believe this forum does not know of any other stores around!

myspace.com/retro_gaming

Post by myspace.com/retro_gaming » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:20 am

yethboth wrote:Gamestation has got to be the best video games store since they sell new and pre-owned current games as well as retro games and consoles both new and old at bargain prices. :D

The store in Birmingham is massive. :D
The Birmingham Gamestation, (The largest video game store in Europe) is actually now very poor in my opinion. The downstairs floor that used to contain the retro games was sold to Microsoft and now only houses x-box 360's. They then placed the retro stock in one of two shop displays. The window display was then scrapped in favour of a wii and a 2 seater sofa. Now there are no retro games in the entire store apart from the games that they are selling off as packages with the relevant console. What a pity!
RELIVE THE RETRO - REPLAY THE CLASSICS!

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:51 pm

Have been dissapointed by th threa I've created. Is it because forum members want to keep them a secret? Apart from e-bay, where are people buying their games from. Gamestation in Sheffield now has almost nothing!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm

sscott wrote:Have been dissapointed by th threa I've created. Is it because forum members want to keep them a secret? Apart from e-bay, where are people buying their games from. Gamestation in Sheffield now has almost nothing!
That's because you've been in an bought everything :D None of the other shops in Sheffield appear to have anything retro in them, Gamestation had some GameCube games in and Playtime has some Gamecube, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation, Gameboy and the odd Master System game in, I've not noticed anything pre Cube/PS2 in CEX and the Playtime at Meadowhall I think only has current stuff in. I haven't been to the Gamestation in Rotherham for a while either so I'm not sure what the situation is in there and I'm not aware of any Money Grabbers around Sheffield either so it's kind of looking like we're going to have to go further afield.
Splink!

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:32 pm

I can't believe that the Gamestation in Birmingham is the biggest in Europe. Has anybody been to the massive new CEX 'extra' store in Coventry! It's enormous. They also have a smaller one about five minutes walk away which sells megadrive / dreamcast / snes games and CDs too :)

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:50 pm

felgekarp wrote:
sscott wrote:Have been dissapointed by th threa I've created. Is it because forum members want to keep them a secret? Apart from e-bay, where are people buying their games from. Gamestation in Sheffield now has almost nothing!
That's because you've been in an bought everything :D None of the other shops in Sheffield appear to have anything retro in them, Gamestation had some GameCube games in and Playtime has some Gamecube, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation, Gameboy and the odd Master System game in, I've not noticed anything pre Cube/PS2 in CEX and the Playtime at Meadowhall I think only has current stuff in. I haven't been to the Gamestation in Rotherham for a while either so I'm not sure what the situation is in there and I'm not aware of any Money Grabbers around Sheffield either so it's kind of looking like we're going to have to go further afield.
Rotherham is OK. I guess maybe me and you are buying all the stock! E-bay is alright but nothing beats rattling through bargain bins.

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:11 am

Both of the Glasgow Gamestations have got rid of all their retro stuff. :(

James A

Post by James A » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:36 am

Gamestation in Nottingham has got quite alot of retro stuff in the upsairs section.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:21 am

GovanGer wrote:Both of the Glasgow Gamestations have got rid of all their retro stuff. :(
Isn't Crime Converters the place to go for all your entertainment needs in Glasgow? ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:28 am

Only if your retro hobby involves collecting 500 scabby copies of FIFA 95 on the MD, or you have an interest in battling your way through 20 junkies, and pretending you are in a Zombie Movie

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:34 am

I enjoy both those things.

There's an indie version of cash convertors right opposite my new house that says "We buy (almost) anything electrical or musical."

It's got a Spectrum amoungst the stuff in the window, it may well be the most dangerous shop to my bank balance on the planet.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

myspace.com/retro_gaming

Post by myspace.com/retro_gaming » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:33 am

sebadude wrote: They also have a smaller one about five minutes walk away which sells megadrive / dreamcast / snes games and CDs too :)
Where? Directions from the new store please?

Thanks,
RELIVE THE RETRO - REPLAY THE CLASSICS!