The best game stores in BRITAIN

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sscott

The best game stores in BRITAIN

Post by sscott » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:23 pm

Have visited many game stores around the country. For retro Gamestation has always been the most common however in a recent visit back home (Shildon. County Durham) I walked through the incredibly small town centre and found a game store I'd never noticed before.

I went in and was stunned. Dozens of retro consoles (such as Colecovision, Intellivision, 32Xs, Spectrums, C64s, Prinztronics, Fairchild F, Jaguar's).

As it was a small games room he then said I have a bit more in the stock room, there were literally thousands of retro games including very rare 2600 games and such. Bought an Amstrad GX4000 FOR £12 and a Jaguar for £15 and an Intellivision for £15 plus loads of games. He said I was the first person in 6 months to even ask about retro stuff. Even better I've ordered a stand up 4 player simpsons arcade machine for £120 (played it in the store) and he's going to deliver it for free in Sheffield!
Not sure if giving the address and phone no. is breaking house rules (Sir Clive will know)
Any other amazing stores around?

DADDYCOOL

Post by DADDYCOOL » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:36 pm

Ah yes console connections, i nearly bought the Super Hang on arcade from there for a hundred notes. Im about 5 mins away from there by car.

small world.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:40 pm

DADDYCOOL wrote:Ah yes console connections, i nearly bought the Super Hang on arcade from there for a hundred notes. Im about 5 mins away from there by car.

small world.
Cool! The guy seems to know his stuff without ripping you off. Ah Ferryhill, been there once or twice drinking I think - can't remember much about the place.

DADDYCOOL

Post by DADDYCOOL » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:45 pm

Yeah Chris is a nice bloke.

Ferryhill? Nice for pubs and takeaways (of which there are loads), getting quite a large Chav count at the moment im afraid.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:20 pm

Ahh FerryHill where I was intoduced to Pizza with Garlic Sauce.

DC, Why did you not tell Smurph and myself about this shop of wonders? Trying to keep it all to yourself were you? I suppose it's okay, I'd never have got the Hang On machine through as carry on luggage......

DADDYCOOL

Post by DADDYCOOL » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:28 pm

Thing is Chris has funny opening hours on a weekend. by the time i rise on Saturday afternoon he is all closed up. :(

Its Xbox live fault for keeping me gaming till early hours!

CraigGrannell

Re: The best game stores in BRITAIN

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:29 pm

sscott wrote:Not sure if giving the address and phone no. is breaking house rules
Assuming this store is nothing to do with you, I'm sure we can turn a blind eye to such details being posted.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:38 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
sscott wrote:Not sure if giving the address and phone no. is breaking house rules
Assuming this store is nothing to do with you, I'm sure we can turn a blind eye to such details being posted.
It's not, I will gain no commission! Thankyou!

Details are:
Console Connections
28 Church St
Shildon
DL4 1DX

Telephone:01388 776699

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:35 pm

Wish we had stores like this in Sheffield - the Gamestation on the Moor was pretty dire and overpriced to begin with, but now theres just nothing at all of interest in there..

Theres that place by the market too but thats pretty dire.

The place near Maplins has a bit of retro stuff in but the selections very small.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:34 pm

sscott wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:
It's not, I will gain no commission! Thankyou!

Details are:
Console Connections
28 Church St
Shildon
DL4 1DX

Telephone:01388 776699

has he got a website?
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

James A

Post by James A » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:46 am

Sounds like a dream that store. All the Retro stores have pretty much died off around my way :cry:

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:08 pm

Anybody know of other stores? Particularly around Leeds, Nottingham, Derby + Sheffield?

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:45 pm

Gamestation has got to be the best video games store since they sell new and pre-owned current games as well as retro games and consoles both new and old at bargain prices. :D

The store in Birmingham is massive. :D

Muzer

Post by Muzer » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:55 pm

The gamestation in Stockport is good for consoles (I have relatives up north). Got a Lynx II for £20 there. Score!

The one in southampton is (for a gamestation) good for retro games. I also picked up a DC lightgun from there, can't remember how much.

Also, never forget car boot sales. A GX4000 for £2.50, with mint condition box, manual, controllers, and instructions still in their resealable plastic wrapping. Was that probably the best deal ever?

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:31 pm

I didn't get a box, but I paid £1 for my GX4000 and 4 games.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com