E.T. Game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Nightbreed

E.T. Game

Post by Nightbreed » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:51 pm

Yup. After reading retro shamer this month, I downloaded this for a nosey. Wish I Had'nt. Gives crap names a bad name. Biggest pile of poo ever made. I truly can't think of a worse game. :shock: :shock:
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

merman

Post by merman » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:27 pm

I can. Twinkie Goes Hiking. :lol:
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:57 pm

merman wrote:I can. Twinkie Goes Hiking. :lol:
Or Force One, Don't Buy This or everything on Cassette 50 too...!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:36 pm

TMR wrote:
merman wrote:I can. Twinkie Goes Hiking. :lol:
Or Force One, Don't Buy This or everything on Cassette 50 too...!

or theres RISE OF THE SLOBOTS
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:28 pm

Swordquest:Earthworld is a 2600 game that makes E.T. look playable and polished. I dare you to play it for a half hour. :)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:43 am

There are loads of worse games. This one just has a big story behind it.

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:32 am

I actually enjoyed it.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:47 am

I will play it one day.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

kiniki

Post by kiniki » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:22 am

I gave it a go a few weeks back. It's not quite so bad once you develop a tactic to avoid falling randomly in the pits... Provided you are quite precise with your movements you're ok..

That said, its far more of a chore than a game...

Big Rigs however is probably worse than ET. Its a racing game with an opponent thats doesn't move... you can drive through solid buildings, drive vertically up mountains until you go outside of the game area and into nothingness... Plus the game gets confused when you hit the finish line.. sometimes it doesn't register...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB1zWEhgrLs

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:14 am

kiniki wrote:I gave it a go a few weeks back. It's not quite so bad once you develop a tactic to avoid falling randomly in the pits... Provided you are quite precise with your movements you're ok..

That said, its far more of a chore than a game...

Big Rigs however is probably worse than ET. Its a racing game with an opponent thats doesn't move... you can drive through solid buildings, drive vertically up mountains until you go outside of the game area and into nothingness... Plus the game gets confused when you hit the finish line.. sometimes it doesn't register...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB1zWEhgrLs
Lol, I remember watching the video of that, looked so so so bad.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

kiniki

Post by kiniki » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:57 am

It was very funny at the time.. Especially if you watched it in the context of their other video reviews...

Seriously I don't understand how a game that bad can actually make it to shops... I'd really like to find out the story behind Big Rigs... it would be really interesting to find out how such a bad game could ever make it out.

The most basic rules of gaming have completely been ignored... Astounding!

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:24 am

kiniki wrote:It was very funny at the time.. Especially if you watched it in the context of their other video reviews...

Seriously I don't understand how a game that bad can actually make it to shops... I'd really like to find out the story behind Big Rigs... it would be really interesting to find out how such a bad game could ever make it out.

The most basic rules of gaming have completely been ignored... Astounding!
Could just be as simple as it was a small team, wanted to complete it quickly, did the basics and released it. Was it a big release or something, looks like one of those 99p things you'd find in the shops.

kiniki

Post by kiniki » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:57 am

Looks that way... Although I can't find an original RRP

I found this about the company that made it
Stellar Stone, LLC is a U.S.-based game developer that hires Russian programmers. The company became infamous for releasing a game entitled Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing in November, 2003, which scored abysmal reviews on various gaming sites, both on Russian ones and Western ones. Because of this, the company quickly became known for what many people considered to be one of the worst games ever made, as described by some Western critics. Prior to releasing Big Rigs, Stellar Stone released many RTS games based on the American Civil War, which scored relatively poor reviews on Russian gaming sites. Most of these games are largely unavailable to Western gamers.[citation needed]

The company's origins are relatively unknown, but the website states that it was founded in 2000.

As of December 2006, the official web site was taken down, and has since been acquired by a domain squatter. The last archived page on the Internet Archive dates back to 2006-04-28.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:27 am

I dont know whats worse about big rigs, the fact you can simply drive head on and win a race with little to no movement (apparantly this is in fact possible) or the fact that it somehow got a sequel.

So for those who have played both, whats worse - Pacman or ET for the Atari 2600?
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

kiniki

Post by kiniki » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:35 am

ET is worse...

Pacman was a bad port.. that didn't resemble the arcade version.. and the level layouts were odd... but it still was pacman..

ET is far more frustrating and has a few really annoying bugs... The falling in the pit mechanic was so annoying..