Desert Island Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:18 pm

Hmmm...

Sensible World Of Soccer - Amiga
Quazatron - Speccy
Doom II - PC
Outrun - Arcade
Monty On The Run - Speccy

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:59 pm

- D2 on the DC. For the soul reason that if it's 1 of only 5 games I have, then I'll be forced (near enough) to finish it.

- Command and Conquer 3. I've been playing this game since it came out. I like it a lot.

- Ridge Racer. Just so I can properly analyze it - which drift is faster? is it faster than not drifting? Is the green car really faster? etc., etc. PLus it's fun to play - and I'm so familiar with the track

- FFVII. I'd be forced to do all that Choco Breeding s*hit that's been nagging away at me 10 years.

- Sam Fox strip poker. For the long deserted Island nights. Or failing that, Oneesan to Issho! Janken Paradise on the 3do.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:47 am

Games for my desert island....

1. Tetris - probably the single game I've spent most time on over the years, never tire of this.

2. Solitaire - second most played game. It can make deadlines disappear, so my castaway years should fly by.

3. GTA Vice City - so I can pretend I'm not marooned. And as a bonus I can listen to "Two Minutes To Midnight" by Iron Maiden whenever I like.

4. Civilization 2 - Should keep me going, um, forever.

5. Guitar Hero - I'm saying the first GH here, 'cos its got better tunes than number 2 (except for "Jessica" & "Freebird"). I reckon it would take me a good few years to five-star everything on expert. The track listing for GH3 looks very impressive though, and it has the original artists not flakey covers, so in a couple of weeks I may have changed this to the new game.

I'm quite looking forward to it actually, when do we go?

Daz Maverick

Post by Daz Maverick » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:56 am

In no particular order (and off the top of my head!)

1. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - GBA (I've no way ever neared completing this).

2. WWF No Mercy - N64

3. Rage Racer - PS1 (I would've said RRR, but this has an awesome 1 player with lots of unlockables).

4. Super Mario 64 - N64 (10 years on and I've still to get all 120 stars).

5. Final Fantasy IV - PS1 (being on a dessert island would mean I may finally complete this!)

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:08 pm

1) Dungeon Master on ST

2) Half Life 2 + expansion packs on PC

3) Link to the past or Ocarina of Time

4) The Pawn or Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy on 8bit/16 bit

5) Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie on N64

That should eat up some time...

Corlis

Post by Corlis » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:43 am

Gosh, this is actually a really hard decision to make. I went with the 5 below in no particular order, but it could easily be something different if I thought about it another time.

1) Sensible Soccer - Amiga

One thing that won't change is the presence of this game in the top five though. It's got such wonderful pick up and play appeal, and while I haven't played it much lately it definitely was my favourite and most played game for several years. I still somewhat prefer the original to SWOS, although that game is brilliant too.

2) Celtic Legends - Amiga

This game doesn't seem to be too well remembered, but I picked it up on a whim years ago and still love it. I've never actually finished the thing (I encountered a game ending bug last time I got close :(), but while it's quite a simple strategy title it's just great fun.

3) Archon - Amiga

I haven't played this game for ages (apart from the inferior PC version) but I loved this so much as a youngster that it just has to be included. The mixture of strategy and action was just perfect and I'd still be playing it today if any of my original versions worked (I kept buying it after copies died!) or I could make it work properly in WINUAE (anyone got any tips?).

4) Champions of Krynn - Amiga

This game is really representing by proxy the entire Gold Box series of games which I still play and enjoy now and then. Champions of Krynn was the first I played and I must have finished it far more times than any other game. Me and a friend were actually so addicted to it at one point that we'd stay up talking on the phone through the night as we both completed the thing!

5) UFO : Terror from the Deep - PC

It was a complete toss up for what game should get the 5th spot, but I thought I should go for at least one non-Amiga game (though I did play several Gold Box games on the PC instead). ;) This was a great strategy game that just had wonderful atmosphere.

Honourable Mentions

Any of these could have easily been included too. Heroes of Might and Magic 3 almost certainly would have made it, but it's a similar kind of game to Celtic Legends so I ruled it out. Also one of the Championship Manager games would have likely gotten spot 5, but I couldn't choose between Italia and 3.

Mad Bomber, Space Crusade, Bubble Bobble, Gauntlet, Championship Manager Italia, Championship Manager 3, Skidmarks, Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge, Dizzy, Star Control 2, Space Crusade, Mega-lo-Mania, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Lost Vikings, Wings, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Dragon Quest 8, R-Type Final, Warriors of Fate, Soul Calibur 3, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Marble Madness, Arcanum

Mr L

Post by Mr L » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:26 am

Hmmm, well

Tetris - Gameboy, never tire of this.

Zelda a Link to the past - SNES, Best 2D Zelda. I could never really get on with the 3D Zelda's.

Sim City - SNES, I loved this version, don't know why!

Supercars 2 - Amiga, One of my all time favourites. Awesome music too.

Asteriods - Classic, another all time favourite of mine.

Ummmmed and ahhhhed over SWOS, Super Mario World/Bros 3, Animal Crossing, Sonic 2 but they've been played to death already!

batman877

Post by batman877 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:21 am

In no order of preference:

LASER SQUAD (Amstrad)
SENSIBLE SOCCER (Amiga)
MARIO KART DS (NDS)
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2 (Megadrive)
TIMESPLITTERS 2 (Gamecube)

I could have included so many others, but if I'm stuck on a desert island, I'm going to choose games I can play again and again. That'll probably explain why I've left Zelda out!

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:20 pm

WWF No Mercy (N64). Best wrestling game ever made. Tons of moves and match modes.

Bubble Bobble (arcade) Put simply, One of THE best platformers in the history of games.

Doom (PC) Hours of fun going on killing sprees and great level design.

Mario Kart (SNES) This game needs NO Explanation as to why I would take it with me.

Head over Heels (Spectrum) Absolutley HUGE adventure. Would keep me going for a couple of weeks. :wink:
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:13 am

My 5 choices would be:

Mega Man (nes) The one original Megaman game I haven't completely mastered yet and also one of the best in the series

Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind (PC) A game that will almost certainly take several hundred hours to finish each individual quest/sidequest etc. would be ideal, and its a fantastic game as well

Metal Slug (Neo Geo) My favorite in the series and also a solid well designed run and gun game. It would take me an age to completely master it.

Street Fighter 3 Third Strike (Arcade) Though choice between this and Alpha 3, but I would need an SF game and this is the one with almost unlimited depth and I could really do with putting more game time into it.

Robotron 2084 (Arcade) Classic game, and with all the spare time I might actually be able to become somewhere halfway resembling good at it.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*