Maps

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

koopa42

Maps

Post by koopa42 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:14 pm

So who drew maps for various games? I even had graph paper for the task :oops: I only ask 'cos after asking ms koop for some good acorn games to suggest in the 'acorn games' thread she dug out her acorn and about 3000 pages of cybertron mission maps :roll: its just a pity that the items appear at random in that game lololol

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Maps

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:27 pm

koopa42 wrote:So who drew maps for various games? I even had graph paper for the task :oops: I only ask 'cos after asking ms koop for some good acorn games to suggest in the 'acorn games' thread she dug out her acorn and about 3000 pages of cybertron mission maps :roll: its just a pity that the items appear at random in that game lololol
Good post Koops.

I used to painstakingly draw the maps for Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2 on graph paper. Can't believe how big some of the levels were...

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:29 pm

Also i remember trying to draw a map for the hobbit on the speccy - I was sure following a north south east west etc plot it'd surely work :roll: possibly the worst most impossible plan EVER - to be fair I was only about 8 or 9 lol

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:29 pm

I made maps all the time because I played text adventures (or Interactive Fiction in the modern day parlance :roll: ).

Since just about every game featured a maze of the "twisty little passages" variety, maps were pretty much essential.

roberthazelby

Post by roberthazelby » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:50 pm

I started making a map for Underwurlde many, many years ago. I never managed to complete the map or the game, but it was huge!

All this talk has got me thinking. Does anyone remember the Macclesfield Mapper from Your Sinclair? His/her work always looked absolute gorgeous.

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:44 pm

Master of Magic on the Speccy and Bards tale 2 on the Amiga were the only ones I ever tried to map, didn't have the patience often!

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:36 pm

I mapped loads of stuff. Solar Jetman, all four Magic Knight games, Tir na Nog, Dun Darach and Marsport, Phantasy Star 1 and 2, Driller and Dark Side (encouraged of course by the lovely template you got), Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back (Chaos was absolutely barmy to put together), Bloodwych... I could go on and on but those were the memorable ones - the ones that got the full deluxe coloured pencil and additional illustrations treatment.

Hell, if they still made the kind of games you could or needed to map I'd probably still do it.

In fact, for a while I have been seriously considering a full Vagrant Story map...

russgalleywood

Re:

Post by russgalleywood » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:02 pm

Sabreman wrote:I mapped loads of stuff. Solar Jetman, all four Magic Knight games, Tir na Nog, Dun Darach and Marsport, Phantasy Star 1 and 2, Driller and Dark Side (encouraged of course by the lovely template you got), Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back (Chaos was absolutely barmy to put together), Bloodwych... I could go on and on but those were the memorable ones - the ones that got the full deluxe coloured pencil and additional illustrations treatment.

Hell, if they still made the kind of games you could or needed to map I'd probably still do it.

In fact, for a while I have been seriously considering a full Vagrant Story map...
I guess the word for someone such as yourself would be 'Cartographile' eh Sabreman?
:)

p.s. Did you ever submit any to mags, sounds like you should have!?

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:11 pm

Never had the patience to draw maps. The closest I came was Eye of the Beholder, which I played so much that I had the maps of the levels committed straight to memory.

Played it recently and can still navigate through the whole game pretty well.

So why can I remember that and nothing that I learnt for GCSE German?
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:08 pm

C&VG used to contain excellent maps for various games. I did map out sabrewulf but then found a map in a magazine about 2 weeks later so never bothered again!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Get_in_Gear

Post by Get_in_Gear » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:21 pm

I used to half-inch graph paper from school to map stuff all the time.

But I remember I had a map of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade published in Crash - but I was not credited. :x
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:15 pm

yep used to create loads of maps;

Dungeon Master
Chaos strikes back (impossible to map)
Valhalla
Bards Tale I, II & III
Various Dungeons in Ultima V & VII
various adventure games

I remember someone sent a map into zzap of International Basketball (yes just the court) thought it was hilarious at the time - but then I was only 14

also used to create maps for various fighting fantasy books.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:01 am

Yeah, I used to map everything. I've still got them all I think. Some on graph paper, some on blank A4 with custom lines drawn on. Some I remember:

Techno Cop
Uridium
Dungeon Master
Bards Tale
A few SSI games (Champions of Krynn etc.)
Into the Eagles Nest
Miami Vice

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:57 am

I can remember getting stuck in games, Plattoon springs to mind, and just leaving them until a mag came out with a map in.

This really is something that has been lost to gaming that I had totally forgotten about. I wonder where it ended? I know many games carry there own maps today but even so...
Just where is Mickey T?

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:05 am

I mapped Dungeon Master on the ST including the locations of all the items, secret doors/buttons, enemy spawn points etc over a number of weeks.
I also remember sitting down with my best mate and writing a matrix of all possible spell combinations then trying them all out one after another to write down a comprehensive list of every working spell. Took us an entire Saturday. I had a lot more patience as a young gamer.

I later tried mapping Captive including all the door combinations until I 'found myself' for the first time, when I realised the game carried on I gave up.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.