Is a Wii Worth Getting Just For Virtual Download Games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

James A

Is a Wii Worth Getting Just For Virtual Download Games?

Post by James A » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:57 am

Im toying with the idea of getting a Wii and at the moment theres nothing really games wise for it that grabbing my fancy, although i do have a lot of Gamecube games to get through.

However looking at the virtual download list there are a ruck of good games that i would be interested in getting. So the question is is it worth picking one up second hand for this service and for the £40 you would normally pay for a game how many downloads could you get?

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:04 am

Depends on the game you download:

The points cost per platform as as follows:
N64 - 1000
NES - 500
SNES - 800
MegaDrive - 800
TurboGrax - 600
NeoGeo - 900

I think its £7 for 1000 points.

Personally, I wouldn't get a wii just for the download service - im sure there are other ways to "obtain" these games if you look!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:11 am

I pretty much only use mine these days for the VC so I would say its worth the money. Get a few games like Paper Mario and Shining Force as these will keep you entertained for months. I would recommend you buy the classic controller add on as it makes playing the games much better than the Wii remote.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

bigfreakypossum

Post by bigfreakypossum » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:54 am

You could always do what I do -- plug your PC into your TV and get a Logitech rumblepad or a xbox360 controller, whichever you like better.

My system is sort of like the ultimate super grande virtual console.
One toot on this whistle will send you to a far away land!

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:12 am

Or you could go out and buy the original games & console which will cost you less!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:47 am

Definately not. You can emulate them all and save £170.

Though the Wii is worth it if you ignore the rather poor VC.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:26 am

I wondered this, but I was only after the arcade stuff - obviously there is a lot Nintendo old IP that maybe worth getting.

I guess it depends: if you can get what you want, for the price you want, then it's up to you. A mint SNES, N64, NES, PC-Engine, SMD will set you back a pretty penny then some games at extra cost?

That'll burn into £170 pretty quick.

If you plan on getting a bunch of games from across the entire range - I think you would be better with the Wii. If you just want a couple of games, I would say don't bother.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:30 am

Tbh, with the Nintendo IP it can be pretty hard getting a hold of the stuff for emulation, none of the regular sites will host them.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:34 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Tbh, with the Nintendo IP it can be pretty hard getting a hold of the stuff for emulation, none of the regular sites will host them.
Torrent a collection of ROMs then? Easy to get hold of.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:40 am

Lorfarius wrote:
Elgin_McQueen wrote:Tbh, with the Nintendo IP it can be pretty hard getting a hold of the stuff for emulation, none of the regular sites will host them.
Torrent a collection of ROMs then? Easy to get hold of.

Good point, never tried torrenting for roms, always just individually get the ones I want to play.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

roberthazelby

Re: Is a Wii Worth Getting Just For Virtual Download Games?

Post by roberthazelby » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:16 pm

James A wrote:However looking at the virtual download list there are a ruck of good games that i would be interested in getting. So the question is is it worth picking one up second hand for this service and for the £40 you would normally pay for a game how many downloads could you get?
I wouldn't bother picking one up just to play VC games on.

The VC was one of the things that really excited me about the machine. A few overpriced 50hz crippled downloads later, and it's been almost a year since I downloaded anything from there.

I tried to do things the legit way, but when the games are crap compared to the 60hz borderless versions on my modded Xbox, Nintendo can sod off if they think I'm parting with my cash.
Xbox Live: roberthazelby | The Retro Ranch | The Retro Ranch Blog

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:33 pm

Imho opinion the dearth of Nintendo games for their machine is because they WANT people to have to download their old games so they've got something (apart from Play) to play on their new machine.
Their profit margins must be pretty high for their downloaded games compared with software purchased via a retailer
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

pocketmego

Post by pocketmego » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:46 am

Honestly, after having a Wii and then trading it in for a 360, I've had a chance to try both the VC and Live Arcade and I would say Live Arcade is more worth getting a 360 than the VC is getting a Wii for. Besides, Nintendo IPs, there is an alternative or the same exact version of almost every VC game I downloaded on Live Arcade. Often with enhanced graphics, added game play, and of course sweet achievements.

The VC is by no means bad and I did enjoy it, but to buy a Wii to have it, I agree with most everyone else. There are better alternatives.

Especially when some of the N64's best games were made by Rare and they were absent from the VC due to new ownership.

-Ray

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:09 pm

Well, I'm someone who likes playing the original games on the original machine. On the other hand I HATE the N64 controller with a passion!!! I've always wanted to find a GC controller to N64 cable, but surprisingly no one ever made one to my knowledge (& I have looked!!).

So the only VC games I download for my Wii are N64 games that I can finally play with a GC controller.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:15 am

Dizrythmia wrote:Well, I'm someone who likes playing the original games on the original machine. On the other hand I HATE the N64 controller with a passion!!! I've always wanted to find a GC controller to N64 cable, but surprisingly no one ever made one to my knowledge (& I have looked!!).

So the only VC games I download for my Wii are N64 games that I can finally play with a GC controller.
You can run N64 roms on a (soft)modded GC using the emulator that was used for Ocarina of Time. Handy for those games that aren't on VC.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.