Favourite Space Combat Games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:38 pm

Colony Wars, Elite 2, Rogue Squadron 2. And Captain Blood, simply because you could blow up planets.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:54 pm

playgeneration wrote:Did you ever play Star Raiders 2? I've got no idea what that one is like
Never played it. I did play the ST version of Star Raiders, though. It looked great, comparatively, but I can't comment on its gameplay since I played it rather shortly. Hmm, a bit of ST emulation is in order, I guess.

Workyticket

Post by Workyticket » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:46 pm

X-Wing/TIE all the way. The Colony Wars series was good too though, if a tad limited and frustrating.

emkay

Post by emkay » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:12 am

playgeneration wrote: Did you ever play Star Raiders 2? I've got no idea what that one is like
Star Raiders 2 is almost the same as "The last Starfighter" , just with the story of the Zylons...
And "The last Starfighter is the game to the movie "Starfight/The last Starfighter" from 1984.

To come to the topic: The Last Starfighter is the only Space Combat Game I really enjoyed...

kiniki

Post by kiniki » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:22 am

bolda wrote:The good...

Freelancer, Freespace 2, Elite, Elite 2...

The indifferent...

Starlancer, X2:The Threat, X3:Reunion, Tachyon:The Fringe, Dark Star One...
I pretty much agree with you...

Dark Star One copied Freelancer shamelessly, down to the point where some of the same sound fx were used. It felt like an empty version of Freelancer.

X2 really could have been a great Elite clone, but it took too long to yeald any results, and the supply chain for the factories didn't work all that well.

Tachyon: The Fringe was ok... some decent missions, but again it just wasn't anywhere near as polished as Freespace or Freelancer

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:19 am

As already mentioned I-War 2 :edge of chaos was a good one, particulary when you applied various mods, one in particular turned your base into Babylon 5.

It also had the best music I've yet come accross on any game, and (once pase the steep learning curve) one of the most satisfying games I've ever played.

I'd aggree with the comment that Star Raiders is under appreciated, everyone seems to waffle on about Elite, but Star Raiders is the daddy of all space games (and is still very playable today).

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:27 am

I really enjoyed Freelancer, I did a little piece about it in WGTV 6 singing its praises. It has a fantastic control system which makes combat fun rather than a chore and it looks stunning.

I did enjoy Elite II Frontiers a lot more than the first one which I just found a bit annoying.

What I would really like is Elite 4 which will hopefully be an online mixture of Freelancer, Starwars and Elite II.. Which would make it the first MMOSTCG (massively multiplayer online space trading combat game)

Mighty_Zol

Post by Mighty_Zol » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:17 am

While Elite is definitely the big one, a couple of early ones I remember fondly were Codename MAT and Starglider on the Spectrum.

Later there was Wing Commander on the Amiga. But most recently I've tried Freelancer which was ok, but I've really enjoyed the X series - X2: The Threat and X3: Reunion, which IMO go a long way to match my enjoyment of Elite

Nitters

Post by Nitters » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:19 am

Opa-Opa wrote:What I would really like is Elite 4 which will hopefully be an online mixture of Freelancer, Starwars and Elite II.. Which would make it the first MMOSTCG (massively multiplayer online space trading combat game)
Except for Eve Online, of course.
#define QUESTION ((bb) | !(bb)) - Shakespeare.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:56 am

Havent played it for years, but Warhead on the amiga was a fave of mine. I dont think it was bettered until X-Wing.
Prior to that, games like Tau Ceti, Starglider, Mercenary etc were amongst my favorite kinds of game.

I miss shooting semi abstract vectors and polygons- the further these kind of games "developed" the less I liked them. :(

Micronaut One (spectrum), Interphase (Amiga), and Carrier Command (Spectrum/Amiga) although not space combat as such, I know, caught my imagination and involved me in the way later 3D Sci-fi games never could.

I'd love to see updates of these kind of games on the DS, say, but with that Tron styling to them. An Elite sequel would be more suited to that (particularly if wi-fi/online play was included) than the bloated intergalactic GTA meets Wing Commander it may end up being if the format gets over egged...

Elite with lots of sub-sub-sub Babylon 5 cutscenes? No way, man!

*Jaded old crank resumes slumber in rocking chair*

(Edited for being overly negative amongst other things :wink: )
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:16 pm

Obviously the classics of elite, and Frontier. But I also really enjoyed EPIC on the Amiga. Thought it had some great visuals and music!!

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:22 am

Space combat sims have always been a guilty pleasure of mine, I love all the Chris Roberts Wing Commanders, Privateer 2 and Starlancer. Coudn't really get to grips with Freelancer though, might have to return to it one day.

Also enjoyed DID's Epic, and really appreciated the Battlestar Galactica vibe. Would love to do a Developer lookback on DID one day. Also enjoyed Tachyon: The Fringe.. some great cheesy Bruce Campbell voice work there :)

Anyone played Project Sylpheed on the 360? Real return to the Chris Roberts style space opera, and the best graphics Ive ever seen in a space combat game. I'd highly recommend it to those that enjoyed the WC games.