Favourite Space Combat Games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Favourite Space Combat Games?

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:56 am

What are everyone's favourite space combat games?

Mine are Elite, Freelancer, Tie Fighter, X-Wing, Oolite (I know it is a copy of Elite, but it is sort Elite 1.5).

I managed to complete Tie Fighter and Freelancer. What did other people make of Freelancer? I thought it was a great game. It wasn't the success that it could have been. I think some people were put off by the control system.

Tie Fighter and X-Wing required an analogue stick(which nowadays I don't own one!). I loved Tie Fighter I thought it was a great game. Starting off with a ship without shields was challenging, then working up to the TIE Advanced, and the TIE Defender!

witchfinder

Re: Favourite Space Combat Games?

Post by witchfinder » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:11 am

X-Wing and TIE Fighter (and later X-Wing vs TIE Fighter) were fantastic, I spent many an hour on those during my University years!

However my current favourite Space Combat game is Space Wars on the Vectrex - so much fun in 2 player mode... Hard to believe that it is a version of effectively the first-ever video game which is now nearly 45 years old!

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:16 am

Star Wars Rogue Squadron on the GC.
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:49 pm

Independence War and its sequel, Edge of Chaos.

The original is the better game imho, though the sequel has a far superior engine behind it.
If you can find it, the Defiance expansion pack enhances the graphics a bit and lets you play the Independence War campaign from the rebel POV.

Cracking stuff with a great fan community behind it that the dev team fully supported. I can't give enough kudos to the guys from Particle Systems (now sadly defunct) as a more enthusiastic and helpful bunch would be hard to find. Steve Robertson (aka SiR to C64 owners) in particular ploughed no end of hours into the support forums.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiniki

Post by kiniki » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:35 am

Wing Commander 2
Freelancer
X Wing
Freespace 1 & 2

Seriously, Freespace 2 is still in my opinion the best space dogfighting game made...

Freelancer is better in many ways, but Freespace 2's combat is more satisfying...

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:45 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Independence War and its sequel, Edge of Chaos.

The original is the better game imho, though the sequel has a far superior engine behind it.
If you can find it, the Defiance expansion pack enhances the graphics a bit and lets you play the Independence War campaign from the rebel POV.

Cracking stuff with a great fan community behind it that the dev team fully supported. I can't give enough kudos to the guys from Particle Systems (now sadly defunct) as a more enthusiastic and helpful bunch would be hard to find. Steve Robertson (aka SiR to C64 owners) in particular ploughed no end of hours into the support forums.
Agreed.

I'd also like to add Wing Commander III and IV

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:34 am

Glad to see that you liked Freelancer, Kiniki. I thought I was the only one. I haven't tried any of the expansion packs yet!

kiniki

Post by kiniki » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:54 am

Katzkatz wrote:Glad to see that you liked Freelancer, Kiniki. I thought I was the only one. I haven't tried any of the expansion packs yet!
There aren't any official Expansions for it are there?

Just mods?

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:37 pm

No there aren't any official expansions. There are unofficial ones. You do however have to use mod manager (which can be a bit tricky) to get them going.

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:24 am

I have to agree about Freescape II. It just 'felt' right!

Also loved Privateer II, a bit like Wing Commander but with a proper story and a bit more freedom.

If it counts, not quite the same but I still enjoy Star Control I and II, multi-player space combat of a different sort of course.

:)
'What's a Ftoomch?'

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:07 am

Freespace 2 is still without a doubt the best. Since the code was released to the public, we've seen an amazing overhaul of the game and the engine, without mentioning the great total conversions.

To make the whole process easy there's a Freespace Open Installer.

playgeneration

Post by playgeneration » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:14 am

Star Raiders for the Atari 800, a very old game, but a real unappreciated classic. Its mainly combat based, but theres a good level of strategy involved too, not so much as to make the game boring, yet enough to make the game varied eough to be enjoyable, a perfect balance, well for me anyway.

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:19 am

playgeneration wrote:Star Raiders for the Atari 800, a very old game, but a real unappreciated classic. Its mainly combat based, but theres a good level of strategy involved too, not so much as to make the game boring, yet enough to make the game varied eough to be enjoyable, a perfect balance, well for me anyway.
I love that game. I wouldn't say it is unappreciated, though. It started the whole space combat genre. Games like Wing Commander, X Wing, Freespace, etc. are considered Star Raiders clones.

playgeneration

Post by playgeneration » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:48 am

I never hear anyone else mention it, nor magazines or websites. I doubt I would ever of heard of the game were it not for the fact the atari was given to me with the game, amongst others, as a child.

Did you ever play Star Raiders 2? I've got no idea what that one is like

bolda

Post by bolda » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:02 pm

The good...

Freelancer, Freespace 2, Elite, Elite 2...

The indifferent...

Starlancer, X2:The Threat, X3:Reunion, Tachyon:The Fringe, Dark Star One...
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage