The new Gp2X f-200

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
pleccy
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:08 am
Location: New Zealand

The new Gp2X f-200

Post by pleccy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:08 am

I noticed that the F200 was released not long ago (http://gp2x.co.uk). It's now white with touchscreen - but no joystick?!

Anyway - has anybody seen any reviews on the f200? Or even have one themselves? What are they like?

User avatar
DJevAL
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:06 am
Location: Nottingham
Contact:

Post by DJevAL » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:21 am

Yea I really want to see some honest reviews of this ...

I was about to buy the previous version when I went to the website and saw the new one had been released ... but now I'm not sure now its without the joystick. How is the pad on the majority of retro games?

Don't really like the white either, prefer the black

fraser1
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:10 pm

Post by fraser1 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:00 pm

The console is /was due to be in the hands of distributors this past week,but as usual with gamepark,there has been delays in them getting them.

check the sites forums.


http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?s= ... owforum=41

When i had the original model ,the joystick was the only thing that let it down ,as it had a terrible dead zone.

For games requiring fast movements,say klax,puyo puyo ,where you needed to be able to move left or right ,fast,well the stick had to be nearly be jammed to the side before it would recognise the movement.

And with the little bit of stick response lag,those games weren't worth playing anymore.

Double quick taps with the stick,were no better.

User avatar
pleccy
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:08 am
Location: New Zealand

Post by pleccy » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:01 pm

So the d-pad might actaully be better than a joystick?

mrCustard
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:12 pm

Post by mrCustard » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:21 pm

Having enjoyed the GP32, I preordered the GP2x as soon as it was announced, but the terrible joystick kept me from using it more than a few times. Also, those first models had their share of manufacturing defects like bad solder joints on the headphone sockets. For the 200 I'll wait a few months, until there's an all clear (or something reasonably close).

The problems with the old stick isn't only the dead zone, but that it used non-standard 12 way controller which was never intended for gaming. Hitting diagonals is a pain, and mapping a standard 8-way controller onto it, always leaves a few directions that are harder to hit than others.

Nitters
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:02 pm

Post by Nitters » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:32 am

Mine is supposedly being shipped this week - will report back on what it's like.
#define QUESTION ((bb) | !(bb)) - Shakespeare.

User avatar
Duddyroar
Posts: 551
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:11 am
Location: The Land of Wind and Ghosts

Post by Duddyroar » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:04 am

Mine is one the way from Play Asia as we speak.
Image

User avatar
pleccy
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:08 am
Location: New Zealand

Post by pleccy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:04 pm

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

User avatar
Duddyroar
Posts: 551
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:11 am
Location: The Land of Wind and Ghosts

Post by Duddyroar » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:13 pm

Sure. Click here for a review! :)
Image

User avatar
Emperor Fossil
Posts: 1705
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Already rockin the Christmas cap, WOOOOH!

Post by Emperor Fossil » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:23 pm

Nice review!

Nitters? mrCustard? Have you guys received yours yet?

User avatar
Duddyroar
Posts: 551
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:11 am
Location: The Land of Wind and Ghosts

Post by Duddyroar » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:28 am

SNES emualtion is now almost full speed with sound, if you switch the sound off it's full speed. :D
Image

User avatar
Opa-Opa
Posts: 4304
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:35 pm
Location: Kent UK
Contact:

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:35 am

Duddyroar wrote:SNES emualtion is now almost full speed with sound, if you switch the sound off it's full speed. :D
So it still don't work then..
What actully does work..? I have hada GP32 for ages and really got a lot of use out of it untill the PSP firmware updates let me use that as my emu machine.

I would like to get a GP2X but a little while ago nothing seemed to work, no fully working SNES, no fully working amiga, no fully working Neo-Geo MVS the list goes on and yet in the write up about the machine it says it can do all those Emus..?

I know that the emus are out there for these machines but unless they are running 100% speed and sound without graphical errors it's unfinished and don't work IMO..

Stainy
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 3:41 am

Post by Stainy » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:06 am

Opa-Opa wrote:
Duddyroar wrote:SNES emualtion is now almost full speed with sound, if you switch the sound off it's full speed. :D
So it still don't work then..
What actully does work..? I have hada GP32 for ages and really got a lot of use out of it untill the PSP firmware updates let me use that as my emu machine.

I would like to get a GP2X but a little while ago nothing seemed to work, no fully working SNES, no fully working amiga, no fully working Neo-Geo MVS the list goes on and yet in the write up about the machine it says it can do all those Emus..?

I know that the emus are out there for these machines but unless they are running 100% speed and sound without graphical errors it's unfinished and don't work IMO..
For the F-200 there`s an update for pocketsnes I think.. just released that fixes some stuff so that it works on the new ver. I`ve had fully working SNES emu on my F-100 for ages! also NEO-GEO.. thats perfect actually.. the latest version of the Amiga emulator is brilliant ( if lacking a few fine details ( like saving etc ))

That list doesn`t go on and on I`m afraid :wink:

User avatar
Opa-Opa
Posts: 4304
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:35 pm
Location: Kent UK
Contact:

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:53 am

I want the machine to do well because I love the idea so much.
I just need my emus to run my games perfectly, or theres no point. The MVS emu I used ran Metal slug 1 like a dog and even with the sound off it still stuttered along, same with the SNES. If these are now fixed it might be time for me to pick one up but the Amiga emu is upsetting, which is the main reson I want one as I am yet to find a good, easy to use, portable Amiga but if it is still not 100% it might wind me up a bit when I realise my fav's wont run how they should.

Yes I moan alot and yes I'm fussy, but if I'm paying out money I want perfect emulation. :D

Bub&Bob
Posts: 6833
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:24 am

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:46 am

Opa-Opa wrote:I want the machine to do well because I love the idea so much.
I just need my emus to run my games perfectly, or theres no point. The MVS emu I used ran Metal slug 1 like a dog and even with the sound off it still stuttered along, same with the SNES. If these are now fixed it might be time for me to pick one up but the Amiga emu is upsetting, which is the main reson I want one as I am yet to find a good, easy to use, portable Amiga but if it is still not 100% it might wind me up a bit when I realise my fav's wont run how they should.

Yes I moan alot and yes I'm fussy, but if I'm paying out money I want perfect emulation. :D
Opa-Opa: Do you run an Amiga emu on the PSP? If so, which one?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests