Ebay removed my listing

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:22 am

But isn't that the right stance? Ebay aren't the copyright police. We accept it from places like world of spectrum. I know that it is a different matter when money is changing hands, but unless they go to manual vetting of all listings I don't really see how they could do more.

Thats not to say I am a fan of ebay. They are big time ripoff merchants with their monopoly pricing.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:54 am

SirClive wrote:But isn't that the right stance?
Not when it's inconsistent. Removing auctions for devices that might be used to house pirated content, but have legitimate uses, and then leaving obvious copyright infringements on the site after being informed of them, because the copyright owners don't have the backing of some nuts like the RIAA, just smacks of rank hypocrisy.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:49 am

Sorry, misrepresented myself again :roll: I think banning lots for flash carts is just stupid.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:57 am

SirClive wrote:Sorry, misrepresented myself again :roll: I think banning lots for flash carts is just stupid.
Says the man who just bought one... ;)

Mrs Ant's most played DS game is a homebrew title - that word game that I had recommended in the other thread that Craig can play infinitely.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:03 pm

For legitimate purposes!!

(ish)

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:20 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Mrs Ant's most played DS game is a homebrew title - that word game that I had recommended in the other thread that Craig can play infinitely.
WordUp? It's fun, but according to my saved score, I got 1,134,550 and 1024 words before thinking "nuts to this" and screwing up the game on purpose. The difficulty curve of that game is like this: ________________
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:00 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Mrs Ant's most played DS game is a homebrew title - that word game that I had recommended in the other thread that Craig can play infinitely.
WordUp? It's fun, but according to my saved score, I got 1,134,550 and 1024 words before thinking "nuts to this" and screwing up the game on purpose. The difficulty curve of that game is like this: ________________
Let's be fair though - you are at a slight advantage to most of us mere mortals being a wordsmith to trade. Mrs Ant isn't great with words, I invariably win at Boggle.

Makes me wonder - has anyone done a networked version of Boggle for the PC? Or a DS vs PC one?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:43 pm

I want a free online version of Trivial Pursuit!

I love that game.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:00 pm

Indeed, I STILL play Blast Arena Advance most nights and that's homebrew.

It's not on the flash cart though since buying a cart was such a bargain.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:41 pm

Emperor Fossil wrote:PM, I fear you may be right. Nearly 10 years ago, a mate of mine suggested that in the future we wouldn't buy games from a store any more, but would pay on-line and download them to local storage.

'Surely not!' I screeched at him. 'Games will get more complex, more detailed, require more data! Do you have any idea of the storage space required? The bandwidth!'

Yet nowadays, with the likes of Steam and whatnot, it doesn't seem far-fetched at all.

Incidentally, this guy then went on to say that one day we might find that the games are all stored on a central server, with the game data simply being streamed to us via incredibly high-bandwidth connections as we play, and we would be billed automatically on an hourly basis.

I screamed and ran out of the room like a girl.
Did he mention any flying cars, because there should be flying cars by now! :)

I too fear the download only game future.

Here it was 25 years ago, minus the high speeds. The remains of this became Quantum Link, then AOL