Ebay removed my listing

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:15 am

Mantas wrote:What about this then? I find it crazy that Amazon is selling this when it clearly is to be used for piracy. I'm not getting into (nor do I want to discuss it) the piracy debate but I'm amazed by it. Sort of like when Virgin and HMV were selling the CD's with 100's of Amiga, C64 and Speccy games.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/R4-Revolution-N ... 500&sr=8-1
Selling the R4 is about as much "piracy" as sell a blank hard drive is.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:42 am

More to the point I've bought a fair bit of imported games one-bay.

They aren't pirated but they are also not strictly legal ether, if they are played in a region they are not intended for.

I recently got D2 from e-bay (cheep), obviously it was an import as it was never released in the UK, and it was from a UK seller.

Personally I can't see anything wrong with buying imports, but there have been some recent cases of his law being enforced.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:09 am

GarryG wrote:More to the point I've bought a fair bit of imported games one-bay.

They aren't pirated but they are also not strictly legal ether, if they are played in a region they are not intended for.

I recently got D2 from e-bay (cheep), obviously it was an import as it was never released in the UK, and it was from a UK seller.

Personally I can't see anything wrong with buying imports, but there have been some recent cases of his law being enforced.
Isn't the selling of Pre Owned games not completely legal either as its the game shop that gets 100% of the profit and the devs/publishers wouldn't see a penny of it.
It reminds me of the rumor about Sony stopping preowned PS3 games from playing on any console other than the one they were originally used on (Thankfully this turned out to be false though)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:44 am

Shadowman took the words right out of my mouth. I am SURE that the resale of DVD's, Games, cassettes, CD's etc. technically breaches copyright. So eBay is the biggest culprit of them all. Followed closely by car boot sales. And Gamestation. Does anyone know more about this? This has always been in the back of my mind since using eBay. Can't say it's stopped me though.
The first disk I ever bought for my PC waaaaaay back in about '98, from PC format, and was "Speccy Classix" - no less then 8000 games. Once I got it, I was pleased to discover it also had a very large number of C64 titles + emulator also on the disk, completely gratis. How bad is that?
Naturally, I have since destroyed the disk and all backups, horrified that I was potentially stealing 25 year old software.

Except I didn't.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:19 pm

Commander Jameson wrote:The first disk I ever bought for my PC waaaaaay back in about '98, from PC format, and was "Speccy Classix" - no less then 8000 games. Once I got it, I was pleased to discover it also had a very large number of C64 titles + emulator also on the disk, completely gratis. How bad is that?
I got that disk. I still use it to this day (I was trawling for C64 games only yesterday). Got mine from Game.

But - just because one person/shop/website/online auctioneer gets away with it doesn't give everybody the right to.
Last edited by SirClive on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:19 pm

Commander Jameson wrote:The first disk I ever bought for my PC waaaaaay back in about '98, from PC format, and was "Speccy Classix" - no less then 8000 games. Once I got it, I was pleased to discover it also had a very large number of C64 titles + emulator also on the disk, completely gratis. How bad is that?
Naturally, I have since destroyed the disk and all backups, horrified that I was potentially stealing 25 year old software.
Ooh, Speccy and C64 software almost a decade older than the machines to run it on - that'll be worth a few quid ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:26 pm

ShadowMan wrote: Isn't the selling of Pre Owned games not completely legal either as its the game shop that gets 100% of the profit and the devs/publishers wouldn't see a penny of it.
It reminds me of the rumor about Sony stopping preowned PS3 games from playing on any console other than the one they were originally used on (Thankfully this turned out to be false though)
No it's 100% legal, unless you feel you should send Babtie a cheque whenever you sell your house.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:12 pm

ShadowMan wrote: It reminds me of the rumor about Sony stopping preowned PS3 games from playing on any console other than the one they were originally used on (Thankfully this turned out to be false though)
Hmm, that decision would have put Sony in the 'Commercial Suicide' thread that is running on this forum at the moment! :D

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:20 pm

witchfinder wrote:
ShadowMan wrote: It reminds me of the rumor about Sony stopping preowned PS3 games from playing on any console other than the one they were originally used on (Thankfully this turned out to be false though)
Hmm, that decision would have put Sony in the 'Commercial Suicide' thread that is running on this forum at the moment! :D
With the Wii , PS3 and 360 , Sony , Microsoft and Nintendo are simply paving the way for when ALL software will be downloaded , meaning that there won't be a pre-owned market.

Game stores may still survive by selling activation codes for games , but I tell ya that the days of full software titles being sold on portable media are fast drawing to a close.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:37 pm

PM, I fear you may be right. Nearly 10 years ago, a mate of mine suggested that in the future we wouldn't buy games from a store any more, but would pay on-line and download them to local storage.

'Surely not!' I screeched at him. 'Games will get more complex, more detailed, require more data! Do you have any idea of the storage space required? The bandwidth!'

Yet nowadays, with the likes of Steam and whatnot, it doesn't seem far-fetched at all.

Incidentally, this guy then went on to say that one day we might find that the games are all stored on a central server, with the game data simply being streamed to us via incredibly high-bandwidth connections as we play, and we would be billed automatically on an hourly basis.

I screamed and ran out of the room like a girl.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:07 am

I can't see it happening anytime soon. It is definately going that way for music, but that is less than 100mb. Downloading a blue-ray worth of data is unthinkable at the moment. Particularly for people on slow broadband or dial up. It would need a significant reduction in the price for people to switch from having something physical to virtual.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:20 am

Plus you'd have to give me a huge discount to make up for my utter lack of rights to the content.

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:41 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:

Ooh, Speccy and C64 software almost a decade older than the machines to run it on - that'll be worth a few quid ;)

Eh?

Oh yeah. Oops. Flux capacitor just blew. :roll:

Still, even then it were 10-15 years old stuff - when I saw the ad i realised this was worth a look, and I didn't even own a PC to play it on - but it was the first disk I crammed into my shiny new Tiny PC a year later, and I wasn't disappointed. Never seen the like of it since, except at computer fairs.
I don't condone it of course. Tut tut.

big-byte

Post by big-byte » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:36 am

I bought Half Life 2 from a bootfair and found I couldnt play it due to the cd key belonging to the previous owners email account.

Contacted Valve message boards and was told that I would have to pay nearly the retail price again to get the key transferred to my own account.

In the end I just got a crack for it (Ive never been inclined to play it online)

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:36 am

The problem I have with eBay's actions is how utterly inconsistent they are. Likely due to the likes of the RIAA and other copyright bodies, eBay swoops like a hungry eagle on an injured bunny when it sees anything remotely connected to 'piracy' in the fields of music and video and sometimes in gaming. (Note the high number of clearly pirated GBA games on sale on the site, but woe betide you if you try to sell a GBA flash cart, as I once discovered.) But for some things, eBay simply doesn't care—not the massive number of people selling scans of things like comics. Now, I'm pretty sure the guys who put out 2000 AD are more at risk than, say, Nintendo from piracy, and yet eBay's response to flagging DVDRs full of copyright-infringing scans is basically "we don't care—get the copyright holder to contact us direct, and we might do something about it".
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com