Ebay removed my listing

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mantas

Ebay removed my listing

Post by Mantas » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:02 am

Seems ridiculous to even waste time on this but there you go. All I listed was some old C64 disks with games on them. Granted they were copies but damn! What about people that sell a bunch of "blank" tapes?

This is what I got from them.

Thank you for your recent auction-style listing on eBay. Unfortunately, these items breached one or more of our policies and had to be removed from the site:

Your eBay fees for this item have been credited to your account and all bidders on this item have been notified of its removal.

Why was your listing removed?

You may not list unauthorised copies of media on our site because selling them is both illegal and against eBay policy. Unauthorised copies include (but are not limited to) backup, pirated, duplicated, or bootlegged copies of software, video games, music, films, television programs, photographs and books, both published and unpublished.

Copyright owners possess the exclusive right to reproduce their copyrighted work, to distribute copies of their copyrighted work, and to perform or display their copyrighted work publicly.

Guideline: If the product you are selling is a copy of another work that you aren't authorised to copy, don't list the item.

Listing unauthorised copies of copyrighted material infringes upon the copyright of the rights owner.

This may include hard disks pre-loaded with unauthorised copies of media (including software, movies, or music). "Hard disk loading" occurs when software is loaded onto a computer, often as an incentive to increase the value, without an accompanying license agreement, manual, or documentation.

Photocopies of media (including books, textbook solution manuals and teacher?s manuals) are not permitted on eBay.

You can sell products on recordable media (such as VHS tapes, audio tapes, CD-Rs, and DVD-Rs). However, your listing needs to state that you are the copyright owner or a licensed reseller, and you can prove it if requested to do so.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:16 pm

...and say hello to a 35 page topic on the pros and cons of piracy. It'll feature such classics as "This system hasn't been made for XX years" and "Who am I stealing from?" It'll come resplendent with witty counter arguments and facts about copyright infringement and the Nintendo virtual console. Fun, frolics, arguing and more. I just can't wait - can you?

Coming soon to an online gaming forum near you!

All tickets are none-refundable. Please check weight and height restrictions before entering. Topic content may contain offensive material. Over 18s only.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:19 pm

Or simply make your auctions subtle enough to fly straight under the policy.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:20 pm

Dont ebay pay some people to scour for items which might be 'pirated' ? Or they also have some automated type response ?

Crazy really as these games are sooooo old but obviously ebay just dont want to sell any 'pirated' items whatsoever and theyre not gonna get into a ' no ones losing out' type argument about these.

Does seem totally petty and quite laughable all these years later !!!

RetroENZO

Post by RetroENZO » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:39 pm

I once bought a "buy it now" on Ebay for a disc full of 15,000 Spectrum games and a Spectrum emulator, along with another sale of C64 games.

Both were pulled by Ebay but because I did it as "buy it now", I still got the goods (woohoo!) To this day, the best ever thing I bought from Ebay.

I still don't understand why it was pulled, but I know that it did include emulated games from Codemasters, Activision, Capcom and Ultimate. But the advert didn't contain any information about this... do you think they just pull any emulation discs?
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:05 pm

They were copies. Surely you knew you were pushing your luck.

Its one of those 'you win some, you lose some' situations.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:30 pm

It's one of those "I have no sympathy you bloody idiot" situations more like.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:42 pm

RetroENZO wrote:I once bought a "buy it now" on Ebay for a disc full of 15,000 Spectrum games and a Spectrum emulator, along with another sale of C64 games.

Both were pulled by Ebay but because I did it as "buy it now", I still got the goods (woohoo!) To this day, the best ever thing I bought from Ebay.
That's happened to me loads of times! :D
Dudley wrote:It's one of those "I have no sympathy you bloody idiot" situations more like.
Don't you think that's a bit harsh?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:14 pm

It was pretty dumb. Just list them as blank, point out that you 'used to' have games on them.

If you in any way suggest you are selling pirated, copyrighted games, no matter how old, you can't expect ebay to do anything but pull the auction.

That's why so many are buy it now, so the dodgy merchants actually manage to complete before they're spotted.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:43 pm

Don't you think that's a bit harsh?
Not really, you post something explicitly against their guidelines, something they're legally obliged to pull and then get surprised when it gets pulled.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:47 pm

I'll tell you what harsh is - harsh is when Ebay pull your Gamecube Freeloader disk item, citing anti-piracy and rule-breaching.

baskits
Thoughts and prayers.

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:08 pm

What about this then? I find it crazy that Amazon is selling this when it clearly is to be used for piracy. I'm not getting into (nor do I want to discuss it) the piracy debate but I'm amazed by it. Sort of like when Virgin and HMV were selling the CD's with 100's of Amiga, C64 and Speccy games.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/R4-Revolution-N ... 500&sr=8-1

Nitters

Post by Nitters » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:19 pm

Maybe you should email them and inform them of the salient facts?
#define QUESTION ((bb) | !(bb)) - Shakespeare.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:02 pm

Mantas wrote:What about this then? I find it crazy that Amazon is selling this when it clearly is to be used for piracy. I'm not getting into (nor do I want to discuss it) the piracy debate but I'm amazed by it. Sort of like when Virgin and HMV were selling the CD's with 100's of Amiga, C64 and Speccy games.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/R4-Revolution-N ... 500&sr=8-1
The R4 has a legitimate use. It also doesn't come ready loaded with 'dodgy' content. It is not the same as deliberately trying to make a profit out of pirated goods.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:45 pm

Quite. There's a world of difference between selling the R4 and pirated games, in the same way that there's a world of difference between a company selling blank DVDRs and someone (*cough*HMV*cough*) selling DVDs full of material that the publisher doesn't own the rights to.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com