Games for kids...they're easy...aren't they??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

junkmale

Games for kids...they're easy...aren't they??

Post by junkmale » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:32 pm

Someone recently bought me a copy of Avatar:The legend of Aang for the GBA.
A kids game based on a kids cartoon that i've never actually seen. A 2D platformer ?
Just wiz through this one in about an hour then?
Oh no.
It's one of the most brain aching puzzlers i've ever played. Lots of crate shifting, water moving, ice bridge making etc.
I'm completly stuck and i reckon i'm only about one third way through the bl**dy thing! Try it, seriously.
How on earth do game developers expect kids to complete some games when a 40 something adult can't?
It got me to thinking.
Anyone else have any examples of games that were supposed to be easy only weren't?

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:31 pm

Man, try 'Bear in the Big Blue House' on ps1. It was so easy, I burned right through that game in one sitting -- collected every present, completed every mini-game, tossed it in the face of the 4-year-old I'd bought it for and told her she'd better beat it or she'd be a stupid noob.

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:19 am

My four year old beats me at Wii Tennis every time!

Well actually, he's closer to four and a half so I guess its not quite so unbelievable.

(Not really a kids game though, oops)
:oops:
'What's a Ftoomch?'

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:14 am

Ever since he was about ten, our youngest can nearly match me playing Ikaruga on normal. Not quite though, so i still retain some of my dignity!

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:46 am

Went and played Alex Kid in Miracle World lately, Christ I was better at it as a kid, mind you it was the first game I ever had, so I didn't have as much variety back then, which was a good thing, unlike now a lot of games to choose from, and sadly none get finished.
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:10 am

James Bond wrote:Went and played Alex Kid in Miracle World lately, Christ I was better at it as a kid, mind you it was the first game I ever had, so I didn't have as much variety back then, which was a good thing, unlike now a lot of games to choose from, and sadly none get finished.
Same here!
I played all of my NES games I used to play as a child... I don't know how I even managed to get past the first levels...

RetroENZO

Post by RetroENZO » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:07 pm

I love racing games. Forza Motorsport 2, PGR, you name it. My friend's six year old son keeps on beating me and I'm no slouch!

As for kid games - I sometimes find their adventures hard going. Maybe because I don't look for simple solutions to puzzles in games any more.
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:19 am

Which Alex Kidd game is it where you're travelling around the house looking for something? Every comment on it i've ever read says it's a kids game, i've still never beaten it.

Needed a guide for a few sections on Gregory Horror show too. Still an awesome game!!!
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:12 am

I still haven't managed to win the Turtles game for the Nes, can't beleive that this was classed as a kids game (or close enough to one) when it was released as the last level is a complete nightmare especially as Shredder can kill you with 1 hit! not to mention some of the pixel perfect jumping on the old Dizzy games (they looked so simple....)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:16 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Needed a guide for a few sections on Gregory Horror show too. Still an awesome game!!!
Thats about as far from a kids game as you can get :roll:
You stalk characters with serious psychoses ffs.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

rupert

Post by rupert » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:55 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Which Alex Kidd game is it where you're travelling around the house looking for something? Every comment on it i've ever read says it's a kids game, i've still never beaten it.

Needed a guide for a few sections on Gregory Horror show too. Still an awesome game!!!
High Tech world. It's annoying as hell, you get killed for stupid reasons. There is one bit where you actually have to do somthing exactly 100 times to progress.. but unless sombody told you or you read it in a mag there is no way of knowing this :roll:

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:16 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Elgin_McQueen wrote:Needed a guide for a few sections on Gregory Horror show too. Still an awesome game!!!
Thats about as far from a kids game as you can get :roll:
You stalk characters with serious psychoses ffs.
I'm sure i've read many times though, 'rpg designed for kids' Siliconera suggest, "Gregory Horror Show plays like a survivor horror game for kids, but even kids will blaze through this game with ease."

Dreamdawn.com add "Part of a new trend of "horror" games aimed at kids. "

I'm with you though, I think it's a very adult game and quite challenging at parts, though ultimately a bit easy and short, shouldn't be dismissed by anyone as a kids game though.
Really wanna see the tv series.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:17 am

rupert wrote:
Elgin_McQueen wrote:Which Alex Kidd game is it where you're travelling around the house looking for something? Every comment on it i've ever read says it's a kids game, i've still never beaten it.

High Tech world. It's annoying as hell, you get killed for stupid reasons. There is one bit where you actually have to do somthing exactly 100 times to progress.. but unless sombody told you or you read it in a mag there is no way of knowing this :roll:
had no clue about that part. It's the dying that always got to me, after working on it for ages, only to die very very basically in a way you had no way of stopping unless you'd played the game before. :evil: :evil:

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:52 pm

High Tech world. It's annoying as hell, you get killed for stupid reasons. There is one bit where you actually have to do somthing exactly 100 times to progress.. but unless sombody told you or you read it in a mag there is no way of knowing this

Bloody hell :lol: wasn't there something similar in Castlevania 2?
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned