Atari Flashback

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

EnglishRob

Atari Flashback

Post by EnglishRob » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:23 am

Hi folks,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of the Atari Flashback 20 in 1 consoles?

I've just picked one up from PC World this lunchtime. They were selling them off at £9.97 reduced from £39.97. I figured at such a cheap price, if it's a load of old junk, I could let the kids have it to play with.

I was so suprised how small the unit & joysticks are. I've not seen an Atari 7800 in the flesh before so I don't know how it compares to the real thing.

Still, I'm looking forward to having a play with it, just for nostalga's sake.

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:29 am

It's a bit crappy, they're emulated rather than actual machines.

But for £10 there's some laughs there. The biggest problem with the first version which I suspect is what you have is that it's Atari published games only and (whisper it) most of them weren't great.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:34 am

Yeah it is the first version I got.

I didn't realise that until today.

Still, it should be fun. It's easier than sitting in front of the TV to play the games. At least this can be kept plugged into a TV all the time, not to mention the kids will hopefully be kept amused with it.

My plan is, if I can get the kids interested (they're aged between 3 and 10), and convince the girlfriend that retro devices (or emulated retro devices) don't take up too much room, she might let me get a few more things (like that C64 joystick, or a Neo Geo :D).

I am wondering too, since it runs off a 9 volt PSU, it might work with one of them in-car power supplys and my portable DVD player. :)

Rob

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:32 pm

EnglishRob wrote: I am wondering too, since it runs off a 9 volt PSU, it might work with one of them in-car power supplys and my portable DVD player. :)
I would imagine so, although I thought they were 12v.

It's not bad. But it's not worth more than the £10 we both paid PC World for one.

I think "old" RG actually reviewed it at one stage.

backdrifter

Post by backdrifter » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:48 am

Bought this for £10 from PC World too a few weeks back. Only game's I really play much of are Adventure, and Centipede.

Jax

Post by Jax » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:27 am

yeah local Nettos had them in a few weeks back :shock:

picked it up as it was sooo cheap, and worth it for centipede alone :lol:

with the advent of all these plug and go TV joystick consoles, I personally
have found it quite nice to have moved from the study/bedroom and back
into the living room and having family fun playing computer games again 8)

having only PC`s for mainstream computing in this house, we tend to play
games alone and out of each others way these days :roll: but since getting
these little beauts I have noticed that even my 9 YO neice is happy to play
these older games in the living room now :D

and the 2 player tetris one has gone down a storm in this house :lol:

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:01 pm

You need the 2 player Sensible Soccer Megadrive one. Stat.

Or just buy a sodding MD (or even better Master System 2) off ebay.

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:58 pm

Well I tried it last night.

What as disapointment!

I think the controllers on mine were knackered, at least they didn't seem to respond very well. Other than that, it looked to be a fun unit.

Oh well, I took it back today and got my 10 quid back. I'm going to a car boot sale tomorrow, maybe I might be lucky and find some retro stuff.

I'm also kinda kicking myself, I went to Exeter earlier looking for an indi games shop that Hungry Horace told me about. I found it a few minutes too late, turns out they had just closed. I could see some Super Famicom stuff when looking through the window though.

I wonder, could this shop be the local holy grail for all things retro? :-D

I saw the Sensible Soccer Megadrive TV game earlier. I wasn't really a fan of Sensibe Soccer, so I think personally I'd rather put the money to a Megadrive.

Rob

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:13 pm

For anyone who can't find a PC World, the Post Office have received a batch of Atari Flashback boxes, which they are selling for £9.99.

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:10 pm

Dudley wrote:It's a bit crappy, they're emulated rather than actual machines.

But for £10 there's some laughs there. The biggest problem with the first version which I suspect is what you have is that it's Atari published games only and (whisper it) most of them weren't great.
Thats unbelievable! Surely the hardware must be so cheap nowadays that it costs less to actually have it than to be sum software people to write an emu!!??
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:31 pm

EnglishRob wrote: I'm also kinda kicking myself, I went to Exeter earlier looking for an indi games shop that Hungry Horace told me about. I found it a few minutes too late, turns out they had just closed. I could see some Super Famicom stuff when looking through the window though.

I wonder, could this shop be the local holy grail for all things retro? :-D

I saw the Sensible Soccer Megadrive TV game earlier. I wasn't really a fan of Sensibe Soccer, so I think personally I'd rather put the money to a Megadrive.
Down a hill near a takeaway?

As for hte megadrive, either that or a master system would do. The disney platformers on both and the simpler sports games would probably suit the neice you mentioned rather well.

Meanwhile you're playing Sonic and Zombies ate my neigbours.
Thats unbelievable! Surely the hardware must be so cheap nowadays that it costs less to actually have it than to be sum software people to write an emu!!??
You'd assume so, I believe the hardware in this is actually strongly related to the old "NES on a chip" they use in crappy counterfeit consoles that don't work.

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:58 am

I'm not sure if the store was near a takeway. It's round the corner from McDonalds in Exeter. I'm guessing you might be thinking of the other shop (Lucia Software) down a big hill. I haven't been to Lucia software in years.

Well, I went in the games shop that was closed on Saturday. Oh my, was I mistaken! I wasn't the holy gail of retro shops, it was over priced!

Still, I'm happy at my find at the car boot. The Electron is keeping the kids amused more than the Dreamcast!

Rob