wizball on his wizing little way

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:02 pm

Been having a blast on it now and it seems very close to the original - nice work! I can feel the 'one more go' syndrome coming on...

Nitters

Post by Nitters » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:53 pm

Sureshot wrote:Been having a blast on it now and it seems very close to the original - nice work! I can feel the 'one more go' syndrome coming on...
Funny... 'cos I was at the "damn near unplayable, how can anyone like this game" phase.
#define QUESTION ((bb) | !(bb)) - Shakespeare.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:05 pm

Not a Wizball fan then? :P Either that or you aren't going for the right power-up at the beginning. You should always go for the first power up twice so that you have free movement of the ball. This makes things MUCH easier.

emkay

Post by emkay » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:11 am

The game works fine here (Vista Ultimate 64 Bit).
"Sadly" it play 99.9% like the original(s)

Sureshot wrote:Not a Wizball fan then? :P Either that or you aren't going for the right power-up at the beginning. You should always go for the first power up twice so that you have free movement of the ball. This makes things MUCH easier.
Hmm....
Does your statement mean that the game itself is "not that good" when playing it as it was intended to play?
This comes near to my opinion that the game itself is allmost useless until the game concept is "turned off" ?

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:15 am

That doesn't even make sense, emkay. Part of the game is to collect the power-ups -- first to give you more control, then to get your catellite and improve your firepower.

You might as well argue that collecting a couple of speed-ups in Gradius is not playing it as it was intended to be played.

smila

Post by smila » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:24 am

try reading the readme, it explains what the game is about.

some people love wizball, some hate it. its the marmite of 8-bit games.

me - i love it.

gotta say tho - lots of games need you todo things in a certain way to progress, thats the whole point. otherwise you'd have incredibly stale boring games.
god created the sid chip so hubbard could make music

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:52 am

I'm playing it now. I have a score of 303610, 4 lives left, and my trigger finger is getting sore.

I don't s'pose there's an option to save your progress? :(

edit: Problem solved. I died. ;)

Dr Derek Doctors

Post by Dr Derek Doctors » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:58 am

Glad that some of you are enjoying it, there are new .exe files on the retrospec website which will cure the hiscore issue (they go into the wrong table atm) and also a replacement debug .exe which should allow people to run it windowed who had a problem before.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:29 am

Just been playing this with my gf for the last couple of hours. Two observations:

1) The gameplay is extremely faithful to the C64 classic- did you guys focus on getting that right before doing anything else? It certainly seems so and its really paid off.

2) The updated graphics are wonderful but manage to be completely appropriate to the spirit of the original- so many remakes, commercial or not fail to achieve this. Give that artist a cigar!

Shame its taken so long for another version of Wizball to get it right (both the spectrum and amiga versions disappointed me hugely)- this is one of the greatest remakes i've ever played.

Thanks and congrats to all involved!

:D

(Edit- props to Infamous for the music also, Galways original score is so highly regarded that it must have been quite intimidating :wink: )
Last edited by AlleyKat on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

Dr Derek Doctors

Post by Dr Derek Doctors » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:32 am

I concentrated on getting the metrics of all the enemies right as and when they went in. Basically it meant using a stop-watch and WinVice a load. It's still not completely right (for instance the speed up in how fast enemies fire on higher levels is really just guesswork) but as long as it's within the realms of playable that was my main concern. Glad you enjoy it, though, thanks!

I'm sure Smila will be along to lap up his graphical plaudits in a moment. ;)

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:38 am

It's certainly an impressive remake, and very nicely done. It really does feel very much like playing the original. However, one quite significant change is that completed levels now remain populated with enemies rather than being cleared upon completion. This tends to make the game a bit easier than the original as it means you can return to previously completed levels to harvest colour droplets and so minimise your encounters with the nasty bullet-spewing droplets that appear on later levels.

Was that a deliberate design decision made in order to tip the odds more in the player's favour?

Dr Derek Doctors

Post by Dr Derek Doctors » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:10 am

Emperor Fossil wrote:It's certainly an impressive remake, and very nicely done. It really does feel very much like playing the original. However, one quite significant change is that completed levels now remain populated with enemies rather than being cleared upon completion. This tends to make the game a bit easier than the original as it means you can return to previously completed levels to harvest colour droplets and so minimise your encounters with the nasty bullet-spewing droplets that appear on later levels.

Was that a deliberate design decision made in order to tip the odds more in the player's favour?
Um. That's a bug. :P

Crap.

Ta', though. I shall fix that.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:25 am

Woohoo! i found a bug! :D

Actually, I'm glad it's a bug rather than a deliberate alteration. While I was playing I was feeling very cowardly every time I ducked back to earlier levels to harvest some juicy non-shooting drops, but I just couldn't stop myself!

Also, I don't know if it's just my memory playing tricks on me, but the bullet speed of the shooting drops seems a tad faster than I remember. Not sure, though.

Dr Derek Doctors

Post by Dr Derek Doctors » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:57 pm

The enemies might well be firing faster, tbh. That's probably the least accurate aspect of the game, but it's a case of tough cheese I'm afraid. I've added a patch (overwrite your existing install of Wizball with it) in order to fix the bug you found, btw. Currently updating the main game archive as well.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:20 pm

Emperor Fossil wrote:...completed levels now remain populated with enemies rather than being cleared upon completion. This tends to make the game a bit easier than the original as it means you can return to previously completed levels to harvest colour droplets...
Heh- I must confess that I havent fully recoloured any levels as yet, so I didnt notice that. I did do a fair bit of dying though. :)
That is faithful to my experience with the original- I never completed more than a couple of levels of it, as it was my best friends C128 I used to play it on back in the late 80s.

The feel of the controls and gameplay are spot on, though and i really am bowled over with it as a piece of of work.

Anyway, I'll download the patch soon and dive in for a second session...although maybe the cowardly option might be advisable for a Wizball lightweight like me...
:)
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?