Street Fighter IV: A New Beginning

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:49 am

As they've just started to make it... No.

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:05 am

Been reading up on this and it seems the game may well be financed by Capcom USA but the development of the game will be headed by a Japanese outfit.

There is hope.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:28 am

And now information starts to trickle out:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164756

"Though the screenshot doesn't answer this question outright, we can confirm that the game's graphics are polygonal but the gameplay is strictly 2D. There will be new moves, locations, and gameplay features, while the standard six button control scheme remains. Ryu and Ken return along with Chun-Li and Dhalsim, but beyond that the character roster is a mystery. And then there's the issue of what platform(s) the game will end up on, which at this point Capcom is keeping close to its chest (if you search 1UP's database, you'll find listings for arcade, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions, but those are just guesses based on the graphical quality)."

So the game will still play like a 2D game. Good, now I only hope it can stand up to SF2 and SF3.

Also suprised to see Dhalsim mentioned. Well, he is an awesome character so its good Capcom is using him, suprised Guile wasn't mentioned though. Hopefully characters from SF3 will make the cut (Dudley and Hugo please :D )

Check the link out for the only image so far. Looks... interesting. I'll want to play it before I can judge it though.

So far so Good!

(Source: 1up.com)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:47 am

Any chance of someone cutting and pasting the pic to a new link so we can see it here please? I'm behind a firewall and can't view 1up. :(

ShadowMan

*Now with pictures*

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:56 am

Above is the in game shot. I don't know what to make of it yet. I'd rather see it in motion - and be the one playing it at the time before I could ever form an opinion on it.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:58 am

Thanks mate.

Looks.....I dunno. Not how I imagined it. :?

woody.cool

Re: *Now with pictures*

Post by woody.cool » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:00 am

ShadowMan wrote:Image

Above is the in game shot. I don't know what to make of it yet. I'd rather see it in motion - and be the one playing it at the time before I could ever form an opinion on it.
Nice :D

But I need to see a moving version really!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:02 am

Kaede wrote:Thanks mate.

Looks.....I dunno. Not how I imagined it. :?
I never imagined SF4 would ever be released, so I'm happy in one sense and skeptical in another.

If it uses 3D but plays in 2D then that makes me think of SF EX. Personally I enjoyed the EX games (especially the first one, more sensible than the 2 sequels) but that in itself might put people off.

Time will tell I guess...

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:44 pm

C'mon, where is Killer Instinct 3??

Jago could 'hav Ryu. FACT.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:47 pm

EvilArmourKing wrote:C'mon, where is Killer Instinct 3??

Naff off! Ryu would slaughter Jago in seconds :lol:

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:13 pm

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:37 am

to go with the above screenshots is the "Rumoured" leaked details on it.
Take them with a large barrel full of salt though as either they are making things up or Capcom is carefully screwing themselves over:

"The graphics aren't the way they are in the teaser that everyone watched. The game's still pretty, but it has nothing of that ink-splashing or anything. Art direction is interesting. Unlike all the other 3D fighters, SFIV is not meant to be photo realistic.

Street Fighter IV runs at 60 frames per second.

Street Fighter IV will have online play.

The game takes place after Super Street Fighter II Turbo and before SFIII. The good news is that the character roster will be made of many old-school brawlers and some entirely new ones. There are two new girls on the list. We will probably not see any SFIII characters.

The stage you saw at 1Up, if you didn't figure out, is Chun-Li's Stage from SF2.

The excellent Parry system form SFIII is gone. The new system seems to be called Saving or Revenge (we're not sure about the name). We don't know exactly how it works, but it's built around cancels. And we do know we'll have another gauge to activate the Saving/Revenge stuff, besides the usual Super Gauge.

Supers are there (although they didn't decide yet if it will be like in SSF2T or SFIII), and now they've put another moves called Ultras. These makes your character throws a auto combo with tons of moves. It's like a custom combo ... except by the custom part.

Shen Long may appear in the game. We are NOT kidding.

The consoles are not decided yet, really. But, assuming that SFIV will have online play, we can obviously think of Xbox 360 and PS3 (duh). It's very likely that we'll see an arcade version without online mode too, and our sources told us that Capcom could put some test machines in Japan arcades in Q2 next year."

News Source: http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=23407

I couldn't care less out most of the above but saying it is in between SF2 and 3 is just stupid. Why not say SF3 doesn't exist if Number 4 will take its place (Or call it SF Beta instead). No SF 3 characters either? That just sucks :evil:

Saying that, I can't wait for the game and will play it at the 1st available opp.

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:15 am

Hahaha now that looks really fooking censored.

Also. No parrying? Why remove one of the best gameplay elements from the third game.
Last edited by Kaede on Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:33 am

That looks absolutely awful.

If you are gonna give the characters facial expressions at least don't make them look constipated.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:01 pm

woody.cool wrote:
EvilArmourKing wrote:C'mon, where is Killer Instinct 3??

Naff off! Ryu would slaughter Jago in seconds :lol:
How so??

Jago has a standard fireball, super three hit RED fireball (after combo breaker), a sword and an ultra combo!!

Also has all of Ryu's special moves including Dragon Punch, and his Wind Kick goes through fireballs!

Which doesn't leave Ryu with much!

Now if you were talking about Akuma V Jago, the odds may be slightly reduced somewhat! :o
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik