The Game your most ashamed to love.......

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Emperor_Megatron

Post by Emperor_Megatron » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:43 pm

The "other" TF PS2 game by Atari is the one myself and Shadowman have been referring to as "Armada" mainly due to the fact that it features the character models from the "Transformers Armada" series and indeed was going to be called "TF Armada : Prelude to Energon" at one point. It is indeed a BRILLIANT game. And it was made in Australia as well.

You're Welcome. ;)

The Japanese one we are referring to was made by a company named "Winkysoft". Its simply called "Transformers" but a LOT of people call it "Transformers Tatakai" which is bollocks. A closer name would be what it calls itself inside the game which is "Transformers: Call of the Future". The opening cutscene is VERY VERY sweet. The in-game graphics are bearable, but not super fantastical at all.
You start by picking between the Autobots/Cybertrons and Decepticons/Destrons, then you pick a character to control, followed by two allies who will follow you around and get the hell in your way and bollock the whole thing.
After every second or so mission, new allies will join you, and if you play the game through twice, you get new characters, apparently there is around 100 characters in all to play as.

You can select to have the game in either japanese or english text, but there is only English audio, obviously designed to mimic the voices of the original 80's characters, but failing quite badly. The voices DO get better though, and its NOT a matter of getting used to them, because when you start the game again they are utterly dire.

There is pretty much no chance of a non Japanese release, on account of it being totally pants. However, if you love transformers, then you will forgive it, but like shadowman said, you can't sit there and play it heaps in one sitting. Honestly, one mission at a go is about all I can take. The characters turn like Resident Evil but take twice as long, blocking is useless if theres more than two enemies attacking you, you have to tap a button to spin around to face your enemy, or you WILL get owned trying to turn to face him between attacks.
Jump on youtube and type in "Transformers Tatakai" and you will get some pretty neat videos. Might I suggest the intro/opening sequence, as that is VERY VERY *&^%ING AWESOME.
Mind you, I like the fact that its in english but they address each other by their Japanese ranks, like "Oh no! Its the Mighty Emperor Of Destruction, Megatron!" and Prime's voice often breaks "Stop it, Meeeegatron!".

Oh and of course, there's the TF-The Movie game, which apparently is pants, but you know, being a transformers fan, I forgive it.
Hell, its Grand Theft Autobot, except you ARE the vehicle as well.

I'm tempted to start a TF thread, both about the games and the...well the rest of it, you know. I've noticed some non gaming collections posted and well...., I've got a VERY kickass collection. Talking 350+ toys, *&^%loads of merchandise as well. If there's any interest I'll be happy to post some photos I took of my collection when it was all set up before I moved into my own place.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:28 am

Emperor_Megatron wrote:Yes, youre quite right regarding the FDS one being based on The Headmasters.
You know, I have to ask, do you like Transformers, or are you a huge fan/nut like myself?
I had heard from a Japanese mate years ago about some SNES TF game that was a sort of strategy, I think it was explained to me being a bit like Super Robot Wars.

A lot of people believe the Famicon game was bugged and uncompletable, but thats not quite true, it was just a matter of walking off the screen in the right part of the game to have a videophone call with Megatron. Mind you, what a prize for finishing, you can play as Hot Rod (or Rodimus Prime, the graphics aren't THAT distinct). Yeap, I flogged the game for that reward all right. ("Tricks"-Ed)

I feel a bit dirty enjoying the Japanese PS2 game, sitting there watching Optimus Prime and hearing Alucard from C:SOTN. God, a Japanese audio track would have been okay as well. Youre so right about the tight ass enemies, constantly triple teaming you. And WTF is with having three of the same Decepticon Jet fighting you? Couldn't they have programmed it to be a bunch of the Jets? I mean, we're only talking about a pallette swap here. And the triple changers.....*sigh* Ahhh I don't give a flying ("tuck"-Ed) though, I just love being able to line up a shot as Megs and blast Starscream along with the Autobots. Cheap pleasures.

That Super FX Snes TF game you mentioned briefly sounds(ed) pretty sweet, but I'm tempted to think they would have ballsed it up.

Did you ever play the C64 activision one? With the talkie intro? WTF was that one about? Some sort of FPS or something? Way too many drugs at Activision when that was made, methinks :)

You know, I love Megaman games myself, but I can't really mention him here because most, nearly all his games have been awesome *looks at Rush and Chase and shudders* Pity he's turned in to MegaWhore now, what with Three different versions of this Star Force series. By god the Zero series on GBA was fun though. And Legends. Heh, kinda got started talking about Megaman anyway. *shrugs again*
Never heard about a strategy Transformers game ever being released, might be an old obscure Japanese release that never got released in mass numbers (Weirdly it sounds like a game that my bro is making with RPG Maker XP).

My guess is that the TF game for the Nes was rushed to cash in on the lisence, hense why it was buggy in some spots and pretty damn hard. I would like to play it all the way through 1 day when I have the time and patience!

Kinda the same case to some extent with the JPN only PS2 game, rushed and not play tested good enough, the repeated enemy drone designs (3 of same enemy attacking you) is something common with all beat em up type games (like Final Fight, Streets of Rage). Still nice they used actual autobots/decepticons rather than poorly designed drones (but why wasn't Grimlock playable?)

Never played the C64 one, until the Beast Wars Playstation game the only TF game I played was the Spectrum one.

As for TF's in general, loved the toys as a kid (original G1 cars, jets and Soundwave etc.) and kept all of them. My brother still collects them and must have more than 600+ of them (maybe closer to 1000, he hasn't counted them) that spans from G1 to the current movie, I get all my info from him.

As for Megaman, I like the 2D side scrollers, anything classic, X, Zero and now ZX. I haven't played Legends yet and have no interest in Star Force since it is only Megaman by name, and the RPG grid based gameplay never really appealed to me as much as the Run, Gun, Jump gameplay of proper Megaman games.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:03 pm

Percy the Potty Pidgeon. Enough said

Brianward

Post by Brianward » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:37 am

not that bad but i really liked mickey mania. Im sure it was out on several consoles. It was fantastic but hard.
G Is for Grue, Likely to eat you.

Mighty_Zol

Post by Mighty_Zol » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:27 am

I can't think of many games that I'm ashamed to admit to loving . I'll never admit to playing The Sims though - I always say that it's installed (taking up a whole partition along with most of the expansion and feature packs and custom objects) in case my girlfriend wants to play it :oops:

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:22 am

I found myself playing Monopoly (NES) quite a lot these days... Nothing beats the real board game, but when you don't have anyone to play with you... :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:16 am

Spooky wrote:I found myself playing Monopoly (NES) quite a lot these days... Nothing beats the real board game, but when you don't have anyone to play with you... :lol:
...you may as well play with yourself? ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Ritchardo mkII

Post by Ritchardo mkII » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:30 pm

Does Singstar 80s count as an actual game? If so then that one...

I also keep going back to CRL's Test Match on the CPC and Speccy with alarming regularity... it's so completely random and yet I love playing it despite hating the sport? So weird...
Am I Not online? Try: www.cpczone.net

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:10 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Spooky wrote:I found myself playing Monopoly (NES) quite a lot these days... Nothing beats the real board game, but when you don't have anyone to play with you... :lol:
...you may as well play with yourself? ;)
:shock:

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:44 am

Burnin' Rubber on the Amstrad GX4000. It's the only game I have for the system. Have seen only 1 game on ebay for sale over the last fortnight.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:37 am

sscott wrote:Burnin' Rubber on the Amstrad GX4000. It's the only game I have for the system. Have seen only 1 game on ebay for sale over the last fortnight.
My girlfriend owns a GX4000 and she has this game. It's a good game! Why should anyone be ashamed of loving it? :wink:

You should check the French ebay, you might find more games. I know that the last time I checked, there were dozens of games... :wink:

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:22 am

Er, how bad is 'Pokemon Snap' in the blushomieter then? :lol:

jimid2

Post by jimid2 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:45 am

Great thread! I didn't think I had anything to add but I suppose the fact that I played through Final Fantasy X-2 - twice! - and loved it might qualify... I've learned not to mention it over voice chat while playing on-line FPSs. :lol:

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:02 am

Hal Wrestling on the Gameboy, great but a little basic.
Splink!

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:09 pm

jimid2 wrote:Great thread! I didn't think I had anything to add but I suppose the fact that I played through Final Fantasy X-2 - twice! - and loved it might qualify... I've learned not to mention it over voice chat while playing on-line FPSs. :lol:
Thats ok, I think i did the same, if not three times!!