Will the XBOX 360 still be around in 10 years?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

cruachan

Will the XBOX 360 still be around in 10 years?

Post by cruachan » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:44 pm

I have a load of consoles and the only 1 that constantly gives me problems (that is not current gen) is the dreamcast. Not too many problems tbh, the biggest issue was having to solder a new resistor onto the joypad circuitboard inside the console, the original had burned out. I feel comfortable knowing I have 2 "backup" dreamcasts in storage just in case.

I feel the XBOX 360 will be even worse than the dreamcast in years to come due to the problems a lot of them have off the shelf. Recently mine has started giving disc unreadable messages. The net is full of 3 rings of death threads etc. Will they last past 10 years? I wonder what Retro-Gamers of the future will have to say about the 360.

Grahame

Re: Will the XBOX 360 still be around in 10 years?

Post by Grahame » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:12 pm

cruachan wrote:I have a load of consoles and the only 1 that constantly gives me problems (that is not current gen) is the dreamcast. Not too many problems tbh, the biggest issue was having to solder a new resistor onto the joypad circuitboard inside the console, the original had burned out. I feel comfortable knowing I have 2 "backup" dreamcasts in storage just in case.

I feel the XBOX 360 will be even worse than the dreamcast in years to come due to the problems a lot of them have off the shelf. Recently mine has started giving disc unreadable messages. The net is full of 3 rings of death threads etc. Will they last past 10 years? I wonder what Retro-Gamers of the future will have to say about the 360.
"We hear @ RG apologise for the delay in our xbox 360 retrospective but unfortunately we cannot find a console that will play for more than 2 hours. Sadly we have also gone over budget 3 times now just buying replacement consoles."

:D
I'd buy that for a dollar!

James A

Post by James A » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:17 pm

I think if Microsoft can sort out the reliability problems i think people will look favourably at the 360. Theres some quality titles on there and XBLA is also very good.

Im not sure what people will think of the PS3 though.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:27 pm

I think people will remember it , just not as fondly as , say , Amiga , Speccy - even DC

The PS1 is a good guideline , as that's over 10 years old - how fondly do people remember that?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:54 pm

M$ don't seem to care for long lifetimes on the XBOX machines. The first one had a very short commercial life, and the second one breaks in 2 minutes and will probably be superseded before long, by another M$ console.

Other consoles are usually built to be commercially viable for a lot longer; I think that's a good thing.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:56 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:The PS1 is a good guideline , as that's over 10 years old - how fondly do people remember that?
Yes, but did the PS1 have as many reliability problems as the 360 when it first came out?

JMK853

Post by JMK853 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:11 pm

As my dad would say..anything that heats up or has moving parts, will die eventually

In the case of the 36o it heats like a toaster, and the moving parts never stop whirring.
The past is the future

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:35 pm

James A wrote:I think if Microsoft can sort out the reliability problems i think people will look favourably at the 360. Theres some quality titles on there and XBLA is also very good.

Im not sure what people will think of the PS3 though.
People ARE already looking at the 360 favourably. That's what scares me the most, considering the heat Sony and PS3 is taking, yet blindly accepting that the X360 may be THE most unreliable system ever built, not to mention how they neglect the problem completely and don't seem to do anything about it.

And considering we'll see exlusive titles such as Gran Turismo 5, Metal gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII, just to name a few, means I don't think the PS3 will be forgotten that easily.

Nitters

Post by Nitters » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:40 pm

cruachan wrote:I have a load of consoles and the only 1 that constantly gives me problems (that is not current gen) is the dreamcast. Not too many problems tbh, the biggest issue was having to solder a new resistor onto the joypad circuitboard inside the console, the original had burned out. I feel comfortable knowing I have 2 "backup" dreamcasts in storage just in case.

In terms of hardware, yes. It might not be the most reliable piece of kit on the planet, but electronic failures can usually be fixed.

In terms of Online support - who can say? Is the original Xbox still supported on live?
#define QUESTION ((bb) | !(bb)) - Shakespeare.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:03 pm

necronom wrote:M$ don't seem to care for long lifetimes on the XBOX machines. The first one had a very short commercial life, and the second one breaks in 2 minutes and will probably be superseded before long, by another M$ console.

Other consoles are usually built to be commercially viable for a lot longer; I think that's a good thing.
Bear in mind, though, that they apparently had good reasons to cut short the lifespan of the first xbox. Not only did they want to get the jump on Sony, but hadn't the relationship with Nvidia (the manufacturer of the xbox's GPU) gone sour? For all we know, MS might be hoping that the 360 has a long commercial lifetime.
StarEye wrote:People ARE already looking at the 360 favourably. That's what scares me the most, considering the heat Sony and PS3 is taking, yet blindly accepting that the X360 may be THE most unreliable system ever built, not to mention how they neglect the problem completely and don't seem to do anything about it.
Didn't MS offer some kind of extended warranty for all 360 owners who experience the 3RLOD or something? And I'd assume that they'll be attempting to rectify the current issues when they bring out the new hardware revision.

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:19 pm

I'll have an XBOX360 when the emulator comes out in around 8-10 years. Or sooner? I'll tell you then. :)

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:07 am

Emperor Fossil wrote: Didn't MS offer some kind of extended warranty for all 360 owners who experience the 3RLOD or something? And I'd assume that they'll be attempting to rectify the current issues when they bring out the new hardware revision.
Yes, warranty extension, but that's about as far as they've come. Also, I don't think they've even officially admitted there's something horribly wrong with their system, and there's been no mention of the new hardware fixing the issues. I don't doubt for a second that it's still not going to be fixed. They also said they were well within industry standard with the number of faulty units (which is around 3%), but in reality the number of faulty unites is around 30%.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:09 am

Nitters wrote:In terms of Online support - who can say? Is the original Xbox still supported on live?
Yes, in many games. Problem is to find anybody to play with :P

Steel Battalion and most EA games are no longer playable online.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:11 am

Xesh wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:The PS1 is a good guideline , as that's over 10 years old - how fondly do people remember that?
Yes, but did the PS1 have as many reliability problems as the 360 when it first came out?

How many had to put their PS1 upside down to get it to work?

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:21 am

Yeah, I remember the first batch of PS1s had an easily broken lasar. I bought mine later though, so I never had an issue with it. All of my Sony consoles has so far worked flawlessly. And I have/had plenty, PS1, PSone, PS2, PStwo Silver, PS2 (NTSC) and PS3.