RENEGADE... Best version?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Best version?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:25 pm

Amstrad
48%
Spectrum
37%
C64
15%

Total votes: 27

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: RENEGADE... Best version?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:33 am

Amstrad is awesome because it represents the original arcade game right down to its button configuration :D

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:35 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Amstrad is awesome because it represents the original arcade game right down to its button configuration :D
Amstrad is the most faithful rendidtion of the arcde to be sure

But I actually prefer the speccy one to the arcade version
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:12 am

Spectrum - because I refuse to reinforce this constant Amstrad w**kfest!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:18 am

slacey1070 wrote:Spectrum - because I refuse to reinforce this constant Amstrad w**kfest!
Too right! Give me the limited use of colour and sparse sounds effects (48k) of the Speccy version any day over the Amstrad's typically headache inducing garish colour pallet and grating audio.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

batman877

Post by batman877 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:44 pm

Amstrad gets my vote - although 'Target Renegade' is the better game. The gameplay of the CPC version is spot on!
DreamcastRIP wrote: Give me the limited use of colour and sparse sounds effects (48k) of the Speccy version any day over the Amstrad's typically headache inducing garish colour pallet and grating audio.
I'd rather live in a world of colour. Would you play the original Gameboy version of 'Zelda: Link's Awakening' over the enhanced Gameboy Color verison? Of course you wouldn't!

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:57 pm

slacey1070 wrote:Spectrum - because I refuse to reinforce this constant Amstrad w**kfest!
Its only fair to give the CPC credit when it deserves it. After all, its had way more than its fair share of duffers.

Eat your nans pants

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:04 pm

batman877 wrote:Amstrad gets my vote - although 'Target Renegade' is the better game. The gameplay of the CPC version is spot on!
DreamcastRIP wrote: Give me the limited use of colour and sparse sounds effects (48k) of the Speccy version any day over the Amstrad's typically headache inducing garish colour pallet and grating audio.
I'd rather live in a world of colour. Would you play the original Gameboy version of 'Zelda: Link's Awakening' over the enhanced Gameboy Color verison? Of course you wouldn't!
Re-read what I posted to appreciate the point I made. :wink:

In answer to your question though my answer is 'No' as I wouldn't play a Zelda game if you paid me! :)
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:07 pm

The only version I've played is the C64 version. While it may be the weakest of the 3, it was rated highly enough - Zzap! even gave it a Sizzler, I think. While I think that's too generous, it was relatively well received elsewhere and I'd certainly say it played well enough, even if the screen is much sparser than the other versions. The keyboard controls were quite successful I thought, although I did have a joystick with suckers on it, so it was easy enough to fix the joystick to the table and use my left hand for the keys.

Target Renegade on the C64 I couldn't get on with at all. The sprites were really neat but even compared to the original it looked underpopulated. It was almost turned into a scrolling Way of the Exploding Fist, which isn't really how you want a street brawler to end up. On the whole, I think the C64 had a bit of a problem with this type of game because although you could trick the machine into displaying more than 8 sprites on the screen as a whole, you can only have 8 in a single horizontal band across the screen. I do wonder whether it would've been possible to use software sprites on the C64 as with other versions so that you avoided the limitation imposed by sprites, but I guess it would just end up being a very unresponsive game.

I must try the other versions. The CPC version looks excellent from the screenshots.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:25 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Too right! Give me the limited use of colour and sparse sounds effects (48k) of the Speccy version any day over the Amstrad's typically headache inducing garish colour pallet and grating audio.
If your gonna play the spectrum version you've got to play the 128K version purely for the throw move that's missing from the 48K version. I've not played the Amstrad version but think it looks great, commodore owners look like they got shafted though.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:53 pm

OldSkoolCoolFool wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
If your gonna play the spectrum version you've got to play the 128K version purely for the throw move that's missing from the 48K version. I've not played the Amstrad version but think it looks great, commodore owners look like they got shafted though.
I had the game on my 48k Speccy + all those years ago. I still remember the minor outcry when Crash only awarded it an 88% review rating, lol. I've not checked that review score online to see if my memory still recalls it correctly after all these years...

I never played the 128k version so I'm now tempted to check it out via emulation if the game is legally available to download nowadays.

I'd long heard of how awful the C-64 version was so just found this vid on Youtube to see it in motion - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He2CllFHJlw . My god, it looks so piss poor that it kinda resembles a NES game! :lol:

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:35 pm

Give it a go, you've never played Speccy Renegade until you've thrown some bad guys off the train station platform! And that Commodore version does indeed look complete and utter gash...
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:33 am

OldSkoolCoolFool wrote:And that Commodore version does indeed look complete and utter gash...
Having played it quite a bit I'd have to say that's an exaggeration. It pales in comparison to the excellence of the other two versions but it's by no means unplayable.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:56 am

I was working at Ocean when Renegade was being converted. Even back then it was obvious to everyone downstairs in the cellars that the Amstrad version was the best, the Spectrum 2nd and the C64 limping behind in 3rd place.
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

Mighty_Zol

Post by Mighty_Zol » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:02 am

mlucifersam wrote:I was working at Ocean when Renegade was being converted. Even back then it was obvious to everyone downstairs in the cellars that the Amstrad version was the best, the Spectrum 2nd and the C64 limping behind in 3rd place.
I agree that Renegade on the amstrad was easily the best conversion - it's really impressive to see how faithfully it recreates the arcade original, both visually and in gameplay. But I still have to say that the spectrum is the more playable, and therefore the best version (the graphics are simpler but they're still very clean and neat)

The main reason is that when playing the two versions (I'll just ignore what was done on the c64) then the Spectrum version just trumps the CPC because of its simpler and far more playable control system - the idea of a left side attack and a right side attack really wasn't suited to home computer conversions where single fire button joysticks were all the rage. (In fact the whole bizarre idea of separate buttons for left side and right side attacks in beatemups didn't last long in the arcade games either).

There was a good developer interview with Mike Lamb in Sinclair User about Renegade (justafter it was released IIRC), where he explained this idea of reworking the controls to just use one attack button. I do wonder why this was never incorporated in the amstrad game. You can see that the more successful idea was carried forward into control system Target Renegade on both the amstrad and spectrum (again I'll ignore the c64)

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:00 pm

mlucifersam wrote:I was working at Ocean when Renegade was being converted. Even back then it was obvious to everyone downstairs in the cellars that the Amstrad version was the best, the Spectrum 2nd and the C64 limping behind in 3rd place.
Mr Amstrad (John Brandwood) did a lot of good at Ocean. :) Would be interesting to know which other games he worked on. At the moment I only remember Gryzor and Renegade. Did he work on the Amstrad CPC only? Do anyone know what he has been up to since then? Would be nice to see more of him as well as Mark Jones Senior who did the graphics of Gryzor and Renegade too.
So far I have found an Interview with Mark Jones Senior http://tacgr.emuunlim.com/interviews/markjones.html