Favourite Run-And-Gun games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:16 am

ShadowMan wrote: I think the fact Germany is in the PAL region also could have forced a change, as they seemed to be "offended" with having soldiers shooting other human soldiers so they were changed to robots.
Germany still has problems with gaming as a whole today as well, so many games aren't released due to the violence which kind of sucks for them.
Yep, could be the reason. As for today it's just like you said. There are some serious problems with games for adults. As for that, many of the ratings of the USK are simply just ridiculous. Halo 3 for example got an 18 rating. I mean what the hell?!

But now back to topic :D

I just love the Contra (or Probotector) series. Metal Slug is fine too, although the later parts aren't as great.
Wouldn't title it under the best but the Alien 3 game on the SNES was nice too.

bigfreakypossum

Post by bigfreakypossum » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:25 am

ShadowMan wrote:Most of the negativity from MS Advance I read was from die hard metal slug fans that mainly complained about the lact of blood, animation and reused sprites. The gameplay itself is actually rather good, the energy bar was a better choice for the small screen and like you said the checkpointing saved the game from deep frustration.
Eh, the lifebar was a strange decision that effectively has very little impact on gameplay. Instead of number decreasing by one your bar decreased by a fifth. It was sort of like having five lives. If anything, it was a little more difficult than having lives because you didn't get that moment of invincibility.

It's a decent Slug, I think I was expecting more. It doesn't pack as much action as the others, and I don't really see why, I think the GBA is capable of more.
One toot on this whistle will send you to a far away land!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:39 am

bigfreakypossum wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Most of the negativity from MS Advance I read was from die hard metal slug fans that mainly complained about the lact of blood, animation and reused sprites. The gameplay itself is actually rather good, the energy bar was a better choice for the small screen and like you said the checkpointing saved the game from deep frustration.
Eh, the lifebar was a strange decision that effectively has very little impact on gameplay. Instead of number decreasing by one your bar decreased by a fifth. It was sort of like having five lives. If anything, it was a little more difficult than having lives because you didn't get that moment of invincibility.

It's a decent Slug, I think I was expecting more. It doesn't pack as much action as the others, and I don't really see why, I think the GBA is capable of more.
There were a few things that bothered me about the game, such as enemies continously spawning, bottomless pits = game over, rehashed bosses and such.
Its not may favorite slug game but I still enjoy it, great music (much better than I expected) and its still a great portable game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:14 am

Sunset Riders. Quality game.

oswald

Post by oswald » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:43 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Green Beret. I'm rubbish at it now, but invariably I end up having a go whenever I'm fiddling with new emus or reconfiguring old ones. Its just one of those games I find curiously compelling. What's really annoying is I can't remember what our arcade's cab looked like and nobody seems to have a picture of an original one.
I've loaded up Green Beret in VICE a few days ago, and I couldnt stop playing it until I beat it ;) now that tells something about the game, as games I havent played back in the day cant keep me for more then 4 minutes. Be warned that (on the c64) its very hard, took me about 20-30 minutes with savestates.

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:13 pm

Midnight Resistance is a brilliant game and one I can happily go back to on MAME time and again, The Origional Gryzor/Contra is good but damn hard.

Could games Like Commando and Mercs be classed as Run and Guns though, even though they are viewed from different angles?

Anyways, my fave 3 are:- 1) Midnight resistance (MAME)
2) Turrican (C64)
3) Metal Slug (MAME)
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:48 am

I think my favourite Run and Gun game has to be The Chaos Engine by the Bitmap Brothers! I have only ever played the Amiga version (so I don't know what the other versions are like, I might try out the DOS version of it).

I suppose I should mention Gauntlet I & II, Xybots, Mercs, Aliens (the arcade game), Alien Breed, and Turrican as well.

Mic82

Post by Mic82 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:17 pm

My fave are:

Sunset riders
Contra
Metal slug
Super turrican
Terminator

zerocool

Post by zerocool » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:26 am

For me it would have to be Rambo III on the Megadrive, Gunstar heroes - Megadive, Metal Slug - PS2 and Bionic Commando - Arcade.

Stider on the Megadrive is a damn fine game also?

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:25 am

what about Ranger X for the Megadrive? Absolutely stunning visuals including plenty of mock Mode 7 stuff and even some wireframe animations in the intros.

The gameplay was finely tuned - there were loads of weapons to choose from, and if you had a six button pad you could control your character's hoverboard independently, sending it ahead to kill your foes before you even arrived!

A great game...

PS. Check it out here. Be patient through the intro tho!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5titrqe43w4
Last edited by sebadude on Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:34 am

ooh, and Cyberdyne Warrior for the C64. An eerie space-age shooter from the people who went on to bring us the brilliant Creatures and Creatures II...

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:55 am

here's mine (because i said so)

Turrican
Metal Slug
Midnight Resistance
Contra (i refuse to call it Probotector: the best a man can get!)
Terminator (MCD version)
Gunstar Heroes
Green Beret
Mercs
Space Harrier (can this be classed as Run 'n' Gun?)
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:58 am

Kaede wrote:Sunset Riders. Quality game.
Look up the largely unknown 'sequel' Mystic Warriors - it's flippin ace.
I spent years trying to find the original PCB of it, got it last year :)

Amazing game - even has a Sunset Riders cheeky ad on the first stage..

Cannibal Bob

Post by Cannibal Bob » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:21 am

Hello, first post. :D

I'm going to vote for Contra III: The Alien Wars. In my opinion no other run-and-gun is as perfectly put together as Contra III.

Easily my favourite.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:04 am

The article's in issue 44... which I've got this morning...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube