Forgotten Arcade games that never received home conversions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:55 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Alien Vs Predator by Capcom

I still hope this comes out on a Capcom collection it's stunning, the pinnicle of 2d beat em ups in my opinion. Wonderful huge cartoon sprites, loads of enemies, the ability to play as a Predator!, and fast franetic gameplay. I thought it would've made a brilliant Saturn or even a Dreamcast conversion, but alas it was made In the twilight of the 2D beat em up.
Right on! AvP is an amazing game (why does the rogue Predator boss fight just like Rolento out of Final Fight?!). That and Cadilacs and Dinosaurs would have been awesome if only they would have been ported.

Spiderman the arcade game is another great game that went without a console release. I simply loved the huge sprites as well as all the characters not to mention the sprite scaling.

R-Type Leo - Great game, different to the previous R-Types (No Force power up) but an all round great game. I think it was the only R-Type game not to have a home port.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:19 am

Yep great games, Leo was the only R-Type not to get a home port which is a real shame (plays really well on MAME though), it's really quite a cool shooter and some of the bosses look brilliant. Maybe Irem will do a compilation package of all R-Type games one day?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:29 am

Another R-Type collection would be awesome, I have R-Types for the Playstation and finally managed to clear R-Type. Last boss was a PAIN, level 7 boss was tough as well.

I remebered another couple of games I'd loved to see get ported one day:

Sonic (Arcade) Isometric Sonic game that was only ever released in the arcades and used a trackball to control movement. I'd love to get it as I love Sonic

RAVE RACER: Aw man this game is great. I can never understand why this was never released as Ridge Racer is a fantastic series. It's emulated extremely well but I would love a PSP release or have its tracks incorporated into Ridge Racer 8

Mario Kart (1 and 2) It would be nice to see home ports of both Mario Kart arcade games, or at least have them turn up in the Wii version.

Planet Harriers: Space Harrier sequel that was apparantly up for a Gamecube release (that never happenned).

After Burner Climax: I want to play this SOOOOO much but all we got was the good (but not the same) PSP version. Outrun 2 was eventually released so I live in hope this will be to.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:06 am

yethboth wrote:The Simpsons - The Arcade game should have had a home conversion as well.
It did - as long as you lived in America....
http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=2314
It's actually pretty good.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:13 am

Bub&Bob wrote:
yethboth wrote:The Simpsons - The Arcade game should have had a home conversion as well.
It did - as long as you lived in America....
http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=2314
It's actually pretty good.
Well I never. I had no idea the game was even ported, the game's intro looked awesome for a C64 game, not a bad job of representing the arcade version at all. I might look it up later and see how it plays.

Thanks for the link Bub&Bob

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:40 am

ShadowMan wrote:Another R-Type collection would be awesome, I have R-Types for the Playstation and finally managed to clear R-Type. Last boss was a PAIN, level 7 boss was tough as well.

Sonic (Arcade) Isometric Sonic game that was only ever released in the arcades and used a trackball to control movement. I'd love to get it as I love Sonic

RAVE RACER: Aw man this game is great. I can never understand why this was never released as Ridge Racer is a fantastic series. It's emulated extremely well but I would love a PSP release or have its tracks incorporated into Ridge Racer 8

Mario Kart (1 and 2) It would be nice to see home ports of both Mario Kart arcade games, or at least have them turn up in the Wii version.

Planet Harriers: Space Harrier sequel that was apparantly up for a Gamecube release (that never happenned).

After Burner Climax: I want to play this SOOOOO much but all we got was the good (but not the same) PSP version. Outrun 2 was eventually released so I live in hope this will be to.
R-Types for me is the best way to play R-Type at home, they are the arcade games. The first version of R-Type i completed was the Sega Master System version, a good conversion but some of the levels seemed even harder then the Arcade (the factory level springs to mind). If i remember correctly some of tracks from Rave Racer were included in Ridge Racers for the PSP, not an arcade conversion which I agree seems strange. I seem to remember a PS1 version being announced and then cancelled?

Yes I want to see the new afterburner game it seems like a return to form any home conversions need to be on the PS3 or 360 though to do it justice as it basically runs on a board that is a custom top end PC

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:55 am

gmintyfresh wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Another R-Type collection would be awesome, I have R-Types for the Playstation and finally managed to clear R-Type. Last boss was a PAIN, level 7 boss was tough as well.

R-Types for me is the best way to play R-Type at home, they are the arcade games. The first version of R-Type i completed was the Sega Master System version, a good conversion but some of the levels seemed even harder then the Arcade (the factory level springs to mind). If i remember correctly some of tracks from Rave Racer were included in Ridge Racers for the PSP, not an arcade conversion which I agree seems strange. I seem to remember a PS1 version being announced and then cancelled?

Yes I want to see the new afterburner game it seems like a return to form any home conversions need to be on the PS3 or 360 though to do it justice as it basically runs on a board that is a custom top end PC
I might have to try my SMS version of R-Type out some time to see how it fairs compared to the arcade version, your right about Ridge Racers having Rave tracks in it, just not all of them unfortuantely.

I remeber it was announced for the PC at one stage, I think Namco was planning to release it with a Graphics Card or something along those lines but it never came to pass unfortunately.

Not sure about a PSOne version, that would have done incredibly well if released so it makes no sense why it wasn't.

I think the 360 could pull off a good, or perhaps arcade perfect port of Afterburner Climax, it's just up to Sega to port it or not.

I also want House of the Dead 4 ported but can't decide which platform would be best. The Wii has the motion technology not to mention it wouldn't even need a lightgun to play like the arcade version but the graphics would have to be downgraded, the 360 and PS3 should be able to handle it but would need a motion sensitive lightgun to play just like the arcade version.

I wonder if Sega will port it, the Wii may not have the looks but it has got Ghost Squad (From Sega of all people!) and Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles coming which both look like great lightgun games, but on the other hand Time Crisis 4 is coming to the PS3 (and 360?) with a Guncon 3 lightgun.
One thing is for sure, I'd buy it if it came out regardless of the console!

gmintyfresh

Re: Forgotten Arcade games that never received home conversions

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed May 12, 2010 5:54 am

I still want to see R-Type Leo, sniff!!

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Wed May 12, 2010 7:51 am

Which Rave Racers tracks aren't present in PSP Ridge Racers 2?

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed May 12, 2010 8:57 am

gmintyfresh wrote:I still want to see R-Type Leo, sniff!!
Yeah me too - talk about a thread returning from the dead - I made this one 4 years ago :o

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Wed May 12, 2010 9:21 am

Mootown wrote: Xexex - Konami - Awesome shooter, AMAZING graphics. Maybe nothing could handle it at the time!
You may already know this, but it is one of the games on the Jap-only PSP 2007 release Salamander Portable.

It is a pretty good game. :)

Before this, the nearest we had to a home release for Xexex was a mini-stage in Ganbare Goemon 2 on the Super Famicom.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed May 12, 2010 9:25 am

Alarm wrote:
Mootown wrote: Xexex - Konami - Awesome shooter, AMAZING graphics. Maybe nothing could handle it at the time!
You may already know this, but it is one of the games on the Jap-only PSP 2007 release Salamander Portable.

It is a pretty good game. :)

Before this, the nearest we had to a home release for Xexex was a mini-stage in Ganbare Goemon 2 on the Super Famicom.
Yeah I know - it's funny isn't it, I posted this thread in 2006 and having a quick read through since then a few of the wanted games have actually been released - Xexex and Afterburner Climax of the top of my head :) Thanks though! I actually own the arcade board of XEXEX :) :)

Alarm

Re:

Post by Alarm » Wed May 12, 2010 9:25 am

Swainy wrote:I always wanted to see a home version Prisoners of War by SNK. I also would have liked to have seen a conversion of Wardner.
P.O.W.: Prisoners of War had a NES release, and is the coin-op version will be featured on the forthcoming SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 0.

Wardner saw a release on the Genesis (no MD version, sadly) and (IIRC) the Famicom disk system.

Alarm

Re:

Post by Alarm » Wed May 12, 2010 9:29 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Prehistoric Isle was always a favourite of mine and I'm sure that shooters like Guwange, Dimahoo and Eco Fighters never came out on home systems.
I loved Prehistoric Isle in the arcade too. It's another of the titles on the forthcoming SNK Arcade Classics Vol 0. :)

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Wed May 12, 2010 9:33 am

Mootown wrote: Yeah I know - it's funny isn't it, I posted this thread in 2006 and having a quick read through since then a few of the wanted games have actually been released - Xexex and Afterburner Climax of the top of my head :) Thanks though! I actually own the arcade board of XEXEX :) :)
Ooh, you lucky man. I've only played it twice in the arcade. I'd like to see Konami's Thunder Cross games get a release (the first did on the PS2, but only in Japan). I quite like that series of games. Sky Soldiers would be good too, as that was a fun shmup.