Forgotten Arcade games that never received home conversions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

buddha

Post by buddha » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:19 am

GTi Club was going to be available for the Panasonic M2. It's strange Konami never attempted to port it or it's sequel (Thrilling Drive?) to any of the other platforms.

Thinking about it, Konami's Racing Jam was never ported either.. (goes to check..)

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:43 am

Mike Chicago wrote:
SegaMark wrote:Planet Harriers.

It was going to get a Dreamcast port, then got canned... I was really looking forward to that bloody game. :(
Hard to believe they chose to release AM2's bikini volleyball game Beach Spikers (on GameCube) over Planet Harriers. I personally was bummed that Super Monkey Ball didn't come out for the Dreamcast, the platform it was initially developed on.

Oh, and the first Zero Gunner never got a home conversion. Zero Gunner 2 came out for the Dreamcast, but that wasn't as much "polygon Gunbird" as it was an arcade shooter in the 360˚ engine of Cannon Spike. Kind of a needless bummer.

Don't get me wrong Planet Harriers is excellent, but a 4 player game of Beach Spikers is excellent, possibly up there with Pro Evo! Especially as you are not relying on any AI whatsoever, just your own and your partners skill, or lack thereof.

Mike Chicago

Re:

Post by Mike Chicago » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:02 am

The Last Ginja wrote: Don't get me wrong Planet Harriers is excellent, but a 4 player game of Beach Spikers is excellent, possibly up there with Pro Evo! Especially as you are not relying on any AI whatsoever, just your own and your partners skill, or lack thereof.
I tried to get into Beach Spikers, but I had neither the three friends to make it worthwhile nor the ability to forget how much better Super Spike V'Ball was on the NES, released like 10 years earlier. Seriously.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:33 am

oooh, controversial, but going comletely off topic and further back, anyone remember Bump Set Spiker on the C64, now that was another goo volleyball game.

Mootown

Re:

Post by Mootown » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:26 am

Smurph wrote:I vaguely remember a game in the same arcade as I discovered SF2 in, but I don't remember the name. Would have been about '91, you were a soldier type boyo in a platform game, you could jump on enemies' heads, but you had a sword too, an upgrade was homing beams... Kinda cartoony. Anyone got any ideas?
Was it Roosters/Midnight Wanderers (Jap name/Us name) from Wonder 3/Three Wonders (jap name/us name) ??
Sounds just like what you are describing...

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:27 am

Actually no, you didn't have a sword in that did you...

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:22 am

Namco's Prop Cycle.

Though I DREAD to think how much the necessary accessories would cost if it were converted to a console. Asides from the bike, the arcade version had wind-effect fans blowing at you as you pedalled as well, if I remember correctly.

Mike Chicago

Re:

Post by Mike Chicago » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:12 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:Namco's Prop Cycle.

Though I DREAD to think how much the necessary accessories would cost if it were converted to a console. Asides from the bike, the arcade version had wind-effect fans blowing at you as you pedalled as well, if I remember correctly.
Now that's a terrible game, and you know it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:06 pm

Prehistoric Isle was always a favourite of mine and I'm sure that shooters like Guwange, Dimahoo and Eco Fighters never came out on home systems.

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:39 pm

The Simpsons arcade game in all it's 4 player glory! It was great. It always grabbed people's attention since it played the tv show's intro during attract mode. Complete strangers could come along and join in the fun too. It would make a great addition to some kind of Konami collection for a console.

tssk

Re:

Post by tssk » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:59 pm

Cornelius wrote:The Simpsons arcade game in all it's 4 player glory! It was great. It always grabbed people's attention since it played the tv show's intro during attract mode. Complete strangers could come along and join in the fun too. It would make a great addition to some kind of Konami collection for a console.
It actually came out on the C64 and DOS PCs!

Moby entry here

http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/simpsons-arcade-game

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:13 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Prehistoric Isle was always a favourite of mine and I'm sure that shooters like Guwange, Dimahoo and Eco Fighters never came out on home systems.

It suprises me also that Prehistoric Isle didnt appear on home systems,as it was around the time when just about every other shoot-em-up was
being converted
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Cornelius

Re:

Post by Cornelius » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:18 pm

tssk wrote:It actually came out on the C64 and DOS PCs!

Moby entry here

http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/simpsons-arcade-game
My emphasis is on 4 player glory :P

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:06 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Prehistoric Isle was always a favourite of mine and I'm sure that shooters like Guwange, Dimahoo and Eco Fighters never came out on home systems.

It suprises me also that Prehistoric Isle didnt appear on home systems,as it was around the time when just about every other shoot-em-up was
being converted
I'd completely forgotten about this game!!!

*Fires up Mame and :D , however I have a question, Why would a Brachiosarurs explode after being defeated?

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:09 am

paranoid marvin wrote:

being converted
Two main reasons for that -

1) No software company had a regular conversion deal with SNK, like Ocean's Nintendo contract or US Gold's Capcom one. Only a few SNK titles did make it to home machines (Ikari Warriors, TANK)

2) The timing - SNK were then in the process of creating their home arcade system (Neo Geo) and so probably weren't looking to convert it to other people's hardware