Forgotten Arcade games that never received home conversions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Jax

Post by Jax » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:01 pm

http://www.vgmuseum.com/images/arcade/ASO.html

A.S.O.

Armoured Scrum Object, also an SNK effort, never seen it outside the
arcades (until MAME came along anyway :lol: )

a cracking shooter

Mootown

Re:

Post by Mootown » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:33 pm

Swainy wrote:I always wanted to see a home version Prisoners of War by SNK. I also would have liked to have seen a conversion of Wardner.
Wardner came out on Megadrive! It was an ok conversion too, pretty hard as I recall.
revgiblet wrote:Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow over Mystara. Brilliant Golden Axe gameplay with plenty of role-playing additions.
This did get a pretty limited release conversion to the Japanese Saturn - it used the 4 meg cart but still loads for hours on end...

Thats the thing - a few games got conversions and no-one even knows about it! Captain Commando on PSone anyone??

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:14 pm

Black Tiger. Surprised really, as it would have been at home on a console, and although similar to Castlevania, was arguably more enjoyable. I'd like to have seen it gone head to head against it.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:21 pm

Sureshot wrote:Black Tiger. Surprised really, as it would have been at home on a console, and although similar to Castlevania, was arguably more enjoyable. I'd like to have seen it gone head to head against it.

Wasn't this released on ST?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:23 pm

ST? What's that?

:wink:

I'll have to look into that further, thanks!

Could still have done with a major console release though :P

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:30 pm

Ok, so I have absolutely no idea. Apparently it was released on ST, C64, Speccy and even Amiga.

I'll shut up now!

SegaMark

Post by SegaMark » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:55 pm

Planet Harriers.

It was going to get a Dreamcast port, then got canned... I was really looking forward to that bloody game. :(

roberthazelby

Re:

Post by roberthazelby » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:52 pm

Swainy wrote:I always wanted to see a home version Prisoners of War by SNK. I also would have liked to have seen a conversion of Wardner.
POW made it to the NES, and Wardner received a Megadrive/Genesis conversion. The POW conversion wasn't bad considering the hardware, and Wardner on the MD isn't bad, but not a patch on the arcade original.

Strange that Wardner never got to the 8-bits. My mates and I all thought it was another title screaming to be picked up and converted by Ocean.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:14 am

Anybody know if there was ever a home conversion of Xain'd Sleena? I don't think there was, but I'd poo myself if I was able to play that one.

I vaguely remember a game in the same arcade as I discovered SF2 in, but I don't remember the name. Would have been about '91, you were a soldier type boyo in a platform game, you could jump on enemies' heads, but you had a sword too, an upgrade was homing beams... Kinda cartoony. Anyone got any ideas?

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:23 am

Smurph wrote:Anybody know if there was ever a home conversion of Xain'd Sleena? I don't think there was, but I'd poo myself if I was able to play that one.

I vaguely remember a game in the same arcade as I discovered SF2 in, but I don't remember the name. Would have been about '91, you were a soldier type boyo in a platform game, you could jump on enemies' heads, but you had a sword too, an upgrade was homing beams... Kinda cartoony. Anyone got any ideas?
Xain'd Sleena was converted as Soldier of Light, although I have to say I don't think any of the conversions do the original justice. (Check out www.gtw64.co.uk for information on an early version of Soldier of Light C64)

As for the other - Wonder Boy in Monster Land, or is that too obvious? Mega Twins?

K-J N.

Post by K-J N. » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:11 am

Psychic 5 by Jaleco.

Smurph

Re:

Post by Smurph » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:12 pm

K-J N. wrote:Image
Psychic 5 by Jaleco.
Ahh, not that, but you've just ignited a memory of that game, too :) God, I'd love to play that again.

And merman, no, neither of those, but similar. Much faster than WB, its like that Psychic 5, but set outside, I seem to recall. I'm pretty sure I'll never remember it, but cheers for the help.

Mike Chicago

Re:

Post by Mike Chicago » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:08 pm

SegaMark wrote:Planet Harriers.

It was going to get a Dreamcast port, then got canned... I was really looking forward to that bloody game. :(
Hard to believe they chose to release AM2's bikini volleyball game Beach Spikers (on GameCube) over Planet Harriers. I personally was bummed that Super Monkey Ball didn't come out for the Dreamcast, the platform it was initially developed on.

Oh, and the first Zero Gunner never got a home conversion. Zero Gunner 2 came out for the Dreamcast, but that wasn't as much "polygon Gunbird" as it was an arcade shooter in the 360˚ engine of Cannon Spike. Kind of a needless bummer.

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:36 pm

Mootown wrote:
revgiblet wrote:Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow over Mystara. Brilliant Golden Axe gameplay with plenty of role-playing additions.
This did get a pretty limited release conversion to the Japanese Saturn - it used the 4 meg cart but still loads for hours on end...
Hey, you learn something new every day.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

fairziff

Post by fairziff » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:09 pm

Super Locomotive - Great fun game, but without doubt the finest soundtrack to any retro game. Rydeen by YMO.
Beats Peter Gunn by a mile.(and that was good).
Never received a home conversion to my knowledge. Then again, my Speccy would have struggled :)
An Amiga version could have done this classic title real justice though.