RG forum's 100 great retro games—as chosen by YOU!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:48 pm

Craig, how about keeping a (semi upto date) running list in your first post, a-la the Highscores threads.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:53 pm

What's tough about this is I could name another dozen without even racking my brain but I stand by Elite as No.1!!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:56 pm

Randall Flagg wrote:What's tough about this is I could name another dozen without even racking my brain but I stand by Elite as No.1!!
It doesn't matter what's no.1
The author of the thread said the titles aren't in any particular order
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:16 pm

SirClive wrote:Craig, how about keeping a (semi upto date) running list in your first post, a-la the Highscores threads.
Good idea—I'll sort that tomorrow. As for #1, Randall Flagg and paranoid marvin are both essentially right—the list isn't in any order, but all of the games are "number one" for the poster! I'm actually very much hoping we do end up with 100 games, because this is turning into a very interesting list. Thanks to everyone who's added their game so far!

Next up: #63...
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:26 pm

This is a tip top thread craig. Get the people who counts opinion. The real geeky retro game heads!! I'm proud to be a retro geek! My wife brings the fact that I'm a geek up enough!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:00 pm

I agonized over my three favourite games, but luckily the other two were added in quickly by other people of exquisite taste :)

(PSO and Dungeon Master)

Get_in_Gear

Post by Get_in_Gear » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:09 pm

Maybe after we have 100, we could run a quick poll to pick the top 10 or something.
Just out of interest, of course...
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:11 pm

Good idea get in gear!

hanging

Post by hanging » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:06 pm

Ok most of my faves have been taken so ..

63.. Umi Hara Kawa Se - SNES
Platform puzzler.. Play as a Japanese Schoolgirl and negotiate your way through mazes - using a fishing rod as a grappling hook.. You can also use the fishing rod as a weapon to catch the fish that impede your way.

It's barmy but so addictive.
Abandonrom Paradise - Back one day.....
DaFastLane - news, views and random babble

Danny

Post by Danny » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:33 pm

62 - DoDonPachi (Cave 1997)
Formats Released on: Saturn, Playstation and Arcade

DoDonPachi means two things in Japanese. The first meaning is "Angry Cheif Hornet" and acording to the Japanese the word "DoDonPachi" is also the onomatopoiea for gunfire. Never before has two completely differnt meanings of the same word been so relevent about one game.

Essentaly this game was the first "manic" style shoot-em-up (or Shmup as fans like to call them). DoDonPachi's tradmark tiny hitboxes and crazy but well designed enemies and attack paterns make this game great fun to play but the real reason why I say this is the best shoot-em-up around is the games flawless scoring system which is still capitavating players today. Plus there's lots of explosions, everybody loves explosions! :)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:46 am

Danny wrote:
Essentaly this game was the first "manic" style shoot-em-up (or Shmup as fans like to call them).
I'd go for Batsugan :)

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:20 am

Still biding your time before you make your choice, Darran, or will you be brave enough to give us #61?
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:04 pm

61 - Burning Rangers - Saturn
(well head over heels has already gone :-)

Get over the fact that the graphics LOOK awful but are in fact amazing, (light sourcing, etc) and finish the game once through to appreciate the damn cool storyline, anime and amazing use of voice actors, especially when lost and it told you where to go no matter where you were. Then, after you have completed it once you realise that the game has only just begun - fully random fires, buildings that could collapse in so many different ways, doors sometimes open would be buried in rubble, and the feel of guilt when you realise you had missed one survivor...Everytime you rescue someone you got a little text message and how cool was it when you realised you had rescued Claris and Elliot from Nights, and even members of Sonic Team including Yuji Naka himself! Getting all the survivors was a task in itself, and the day my Saturn battery died and I lost ALL my data I almost killed myself. I spent literally months of my life playing that game. In my opinion, Sonic Team's greatest moment, and one of the most underated games ever released. Like Sega Rally, there is more to this than just 4 levels...Oh and the soundtrack friggin ruled too.

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:02 pm

*bump*
c64 > spectrum 48k

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:00 pm

60 - SuperFrog - Amiga.

I personally think this is one of the best ever platformers. Bright Cheerful graphics, Excellent music and FX, Great level design and above all........

A great fun game to play. :D

Get your Amiga emu out - find the romulan and go play - you'll love it!