RG forum's 100 great retro games—as chosen by YOU!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:05 pm

76 - Dragon Strike (PC/Amiga)

Possibly a fantasy adventurer's dream.

The idea was that you had to fly the dragons of Krynn into battle, making your way up the ranks. As you progressed you would be asked at certain points as to whether you wished to enter new orders or not. Entering new orders meant being able to have a go at the more dangerous missions, as well as being able to ride the more powerful beasts. This also made the game very non-linear, as you could choose to complete it in anyway you want. The missions, whilst very small, start off easy but get more and more challenging as you move up the ranks.

It plays very much like Wing Commander, but with dragons instead of spaceships!

It's my fave 'Advanced Dungeons & Dragons' game. Even now I still fire this up in WinUAE to ride and battle with the dragons of Krynn! A true classic.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

***Nintendo***

Post by ***Nintendo*** » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:24 pm

75 - Duck Tales (NES)

A great platformer game where you would travel around the world as Scrooge Mc Duck, looking for treasures and rescuing your nephews.

To kill enemies you would jump, then push the other button to bring out your walking cane then bounce on the enemies. (kinda like mario bros, but with a cane)

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:40 pm

***Nintendo*** wrote:75 - Duck Tales (NES)

A great platformer game where you would travel around the world as Scrooge Mc Duck, looking for treasures and rescuing your nephews.

To kill enemies you would jump, then push the other button to bring out your walking cane then bounce on the enemies. (kinda like mario bros, but with a cane)
Are you the Nintendo? If so, can I have a free Gamecube?
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

***Nintendo***

Re:

Post by ***Nintendo*** » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:54 pm

revgiblet wrote:
***Nintendo*** wrote:75 - Duck Tales (NES)

Are you the Nintendo? If so, can I have a free Gamecube?
Yeah buddy, no problem. Just send me your address.

romanista

Post by romanista » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:19 am

74 - sensible world of soccer

so great, we're holding a championship 11 years later this saturday
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rick6/RickFilosof ... age48.html[/b]
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:37 am

An interesting topic, the "one man, one game" idea is interesting, and could really work. At times like these, I'm glad I have a personal top 100 games list for referance (everyone should write their own secret list, it's enlightening).

Now the problem of choosing just one... I think I'm going to go for one that's fairly obscure and no one else is likely to vote in, but easy enough for people to buy and play.

73: Popful Mail - Sega CD (USA and Japan only)

First created by Falcom for the NEC PC88, then PC98, then Turbo Duo, then remade for SFC, before a redone version was developed by Sega for their fledgling CD console. The Sega CD version is certainly the best (though the others are with merit). A wonderful game, very much in the style of "Wonderboy 3: The Dragon's Trap", but with plenty of Falcom RPG goodness thrown in, and enhanced by Working Design's (may they rest in peace) localisations. Arguably the best localisation of that hardware generation. Well designed, with smooth control, colourful graphics, a brilliant multi-character design dynamic (think Wonderboy 3, or Lost Vikings), not to mention plenty of expertly delivered humour. You'll laugh, you'll be perplexed, you'll laugh even harder. Nice cinemas, perfectly suited music, and extremely high poduction values make for a well rounded action/adventure/RPG/platformer. It's also probably the best game ever to be released on the Sega CD (yes, better than Sonic, Snatcher, Lunar and Shining Force :P ).

Well, maybe it's not that obscure. Certainly not to me anyway, or even Sega CD fans, but I don't think it gets enough coverage. Freakin' awesome game.

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:24 am

Szczepaniak wrote: It's also probably the best game ever to be released on the Sega CD (yes, better than Sonic, Snatcher, Lunar and Shining Force :P ).
You're a dead man Szczepaniak.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:49 am

Can you lot bloody hurry up with your posting. I want to put Strider at number one :lol:

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:00 am

The words 'Strider' and 'Amstrad CPC' are barred from this poll! :lol:

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:36 am

72 - One Man and His Droid - C64

I've gone on about this game before - and people say how they never understood what to do! That baffles me! :?

You have to play the C64 version - the Hubbard soundtrack goes on for ages and REALLY adds to the game, producing a great atmosphere. Once you have got past the annoyingly random first section and get into the main game, chasing alien sheep around and delivering them in order is great fun!

Graphics are good also :D

Those that tried but failed to grasp the idea....... have another go, those that have never played OMAHD - go get VICE and DL the romulan NOW!

Thank you. :D

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:08 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Can you lot bloody hurry up with your posting. I want to put Strider at number one :lol:
#1 in this case of course being "the last to be listed" rather than "the best". Maybe you should stake you claim now, 'cause if someone else puts Strider down, you can't!

Good to see such variation in the list so far. Here's hoping we can get 100 different games in the long run (from 100 different people).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:05 am

71. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PC)

Everybody LOVES the 80's right? Well what better than a massive free roaming car and gun fest set in that era with an awesome soundtrack to match? Add a wonderful storyline, Hollywood actor voices and a perfect difficulty setting and you have possibly THE greatest action game of all time.

Only SWOS 96/97 and Premier Manager has held me gripped for longer, but as SWOS has been mentioned, and PM is an acquired taste, GTA:VC gets my vote!

Robbo.

Szczepaniak

Re:

Post by Szczepaniak » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:54 am

Heh, I just noticed, there's no real stipulation in the topic title regarding "retro" games. But yeah, Vice City worked for me, mainly because of the 80s theme.
Ash wrote:
Szczepaniak wrote: It's also probably the best game ever to be released on the Sega CD (yes, better than Shining Force :P ).
Am I supposed to fear a gopher in a helmet? :P :wink:

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:26 pm

Szczepaniak wrote:Heh, I just noticed, there's no real stipulation in the topic title regarding "retro" games. But yeah, Vice City worked for me, mainly because of the 80s theme.
Ash wrote:
Szczepaniak wrote: It's also probably the best game ever to be released on the Sega CD (yes, better than Shining Force :P ).
Am I supposed to fear a gopher in a helmet? :P :wink:
LOL Good point.

RetroBob

Re:

Post by RetroBob » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:50 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Can you lot bloody hurry up with your posting. I want to put Strider at number one :lol:
*Dares someone to put Strider before Darran*

Do it.
Xbox Live: RetroBob