RG forum's 100 great retro games—as chosen by YOU!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Kai

Post by Kai » Fri May 05, 2006 5:28 am

Why does this take so long? Wake up guys! :D
Next one is #14.
And someone should pick SILENT HILL (PSone) or SUPER CARS (Amiga) 8)

kaiserpc

Re:

Post by kaiserpc » Fri May 05, 2006 7:50 am

Kai wrote:
Midnight Synergy wrote:Ultima IV - Quest of the Avatar [...]A truly epic game.
Ah! Finally! Was afraid that noone would mention Ultima. (oops: someone did. sry, no. 92 :wink: ) Ultima IV-VI are the best of the series IMO. (Part VII 1&2 come close in second place)
it was me :lol:

I was hoping all the Ultima's might make the list (apart from IX obviously :wink: although I actually quite enjoyed it). Somebody needs to vote for Ultima V and Ultima Online though - both superb games
c64 > spectrum 48k

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri May 05, 2006 8:37 am

Well, somebody (new) vote for something (new). So near and yet so far... Will we make it to 100 before the longest day?
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

nes_fan97

Post by nes_fan97 » Fri May 05, 2006 5:48 pm

14. Conkers Bad Fur Day (N64)

Amazing platformer, with an hillarious bad-mouthed squirrel. I love the multi-player games, especially the war games against the evil teddies. All levels are so fun to play, esoecially the Matrix spoof, & the Alien one also. This game should definately be in the top 100 for it's amazing gameplay, & multi-player scenarios.

Kai

Re:

Post by Kai » Sat May 06, 2006 4:57 am

nes_fan97 wrote:14. Conkers Bad Fur Day (N64)
One of the three best N64 games, IMO.

mrbungle

Post by mrbungle » Mon May 08, 2006 9:53 am

13. CHAOS (Spectrum)

Awww man, memories of my of my mates and me battling out 8 player sessions in an endless summer. A Simple idea with bonkers sfx (especially when the screen was packed, and it was all kicking off) and basic graphics (but letting your imagination run wild with those 3frames loops was sweet, though I still found it hard a king cobra taking on a golden dragon! :P ) made for one of the best multiplayers ever created, well until bomberman came around.
Oh yeah tactics included not allowing your mates 2 see if u create an illusion or not and thumping the keys harder when attacking :lol: (like that helped)

Get_in_Gear

Post by Get_in_Gear » Mon May 08, 2006 2:47 pm

Good choice.
I seem to remember it being great fun in two player mode.
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

Stevenroach

Post by Stevenroach » Wed May 10, 2006 7:56 am

12. Polybius (Arcade Only)

I feel I have to include my own game, regardless of the hyperbole and paranoia surrounding it's existence.

Now that i've told my story and there is definitive and professional article on the game itself, I feel i'm more than justified to include it in this list. For the lucky few who were fortunate to play it at the time, i'm sure none of them would deny it's place here.

A game that offered a new and different perspective involving thought as well as engrossing gameplay, probably the clearest speech of the genre, rivalling the likes of Astro Blaster and Sinistar, painstakingly defined graphics which, in my opinion, made it stand alone from other machines of the time

Retro Gamer is very hard to purchase here in the Czech Republic but copies I purchased off of Ebay very recently are very entertaining and well thought out. It surprises me even more now that the writers have so far declined to offer much in the way of comment, especially on a prominent retro-gaming piece on Gamepulse involving a topic that has read by over two thousand people on here.

Steven

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun May 14, 2006 9:21 am

I think the term "bollocks" comes to mind here. In an effort to tidy this list up, I tried to split it, removing all of the Polybius stuff. However, the "split" command in the moderation panel doesn't work properly. Therefore, I'm going to have to repost a bunch of stuff that came after "Stevenroach" voted for Polybius. Two things:

1. Please do NOT post ANYTHING in this thread until I am done, or it will be deleted immediately.

2. Do NOT post ANYTHING about whether Polybius should be in this list—use this thread for that.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun May 14, 2006 9:23 am

Posted by Elgin_McQueen:
I'm imagining right now 6 or 7 people all waiting till we get down to number 1 to post their choice.

-----

Posted by Sureshot:
11. NHL '94 - Mega Drive

Ok, so Ice Hockey is most definitely not everybody's cup of tea, neither is this the version I have the best nostalgic memories of, but it's most definitely one hell of a sports title and still highly playable today. I defy you not to enjoy this game to at least some extent, if you regularly love ramming manufactured objects into a goal of whatever properties. No sniggering at the back.

Strictly, NHLPA '93 is the game that got me into this series initially, which was fuelled by rave reviews in MEGA, mainly from Neil West who pretty much worshipped every American sports game there was. Various incarnations of John Madden were a constant figure at number 1 in their games charts for some time, with complete disregard as to whether readers knew how the hell to play American Football or not. An NHL game was at least in the top 5.

After playing many hours and thoroughly enjoying NLHPA '93, with scenarios such as knowing your choice of the New York Rangers meant Kris King would end up fighting every man on the rink before a game was up, or mortally wounding some innocent spectactors with a glass-breaking slapshot from Al MacInnis of the Flames, it was a relief to find that NHL '94 captures most of the series' original elements (sans fighting, which was removed due to NHLPA disapproval) and improves on them in an extremely natural progression. The game is around 25% faster, you can now perform one-time shots (one of the key reasons to play this over the previous year's incarnation) and best of all... there's a whole range of new organ tunes!

Unfortunately, things changed after NHL '95 was released, and although the game was undoubtedly more polished and swifter than ever before, the game had somehow lost its character. The dreaded THQ took over for some of the future releases, up until its last outing on the system with NHL '98, which again is no bad game in itself, but ultimately lacks the love that was put into the great early years of this franchise.

Re-iterating my previous point: if you are any kind of sports fan, you will love NHL '94.

-----

Posted by davrho:
NHL 94. Class. would this be the first one to include the fist fights. Very few sports titles in the list.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun May 14, 2006 9:26 am

Posted by necronom:
I've ignored this thread for weeks as choosing one game is almost impossible, but since I've just had a look and I noticed that Paradroid and Uridium are both missing I feel I have to nominate one of them.

I'll go for Uridium.

10. Uridium

This was one of the first shoot-em-ups I really got into. I mapped all the levels (well at least up to about level 13) and it kept me entertained for months.

The graphics were smooth scrolling, colourful and nicely drawn, and it has some nice sound and music.

Level design was just right, with increasingly harder ships each time and a simple bonus game at the end of each level. A nice touch was the way you had to land on the runway and also the fly-over as the ship disintegrated after each was destroyed.

-----

Posted by Thraka (for #9):
How about Jumpman\\Jumpman Jr. (C64)

So classic! run around the level defusing bombs, jumping platforms and dodging the bullets. If you want it harder, you can speed the game up, and you could compete against 4 players (not realtime)

Lots and lots of levels. I play this week to week on my XBOX emulating C64. Perfection

-----

Posted by Sureshot:
davrho wrote: NHL 94. Class. would this be the first one to include the fist fights. Very few sports titles in the list.
NHL '91 or '92 introduced them originally, I believe... and at an ALARMING frequency. You were guaranteed to get 3 lines of players sent to the box for fighting within a couple of periods it was that frequent. The slapshots were absolutely insane as well. It's like EA took a huge balance pill between 91/92 and 93

Oh and I updated my original post, in case anyone was interested.

-----

Posted by revgiblet:
necronom wrote:I've ignored this thread for weeks as choosing one game is almost impossible, but since I've just had a look and I noticed that Paradroid and Uridium are both missing I feel I have to nominate one of them.

I'll go for Uridium.
NOOOOOoooooo! Wrong choice!

-----

Posted by CraigGrannell:
Thraka wrote:How about Jumpman\\Jumpman Jr. I play this week to week on my XBOX emulating C64.
I was doing the exact same thing last night, actually. For what it's worth, if you're a GBA owner with a flash cart, the Coleco Jumpman Junior works well in the emulators. Next up: #8.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun May 14, 2006 9:29 am

Posted by necronom:
CraigGrannell wrote:necronom—I take it you mean the C64 version?
Yep.
revgiblet wrote:NOOOOOoooooo! Wrong choice!
Someone else can nominate Paradroid...

-----

Posted by Kajagoogoo:
Hello fellow Retro Gamers, i'm new here and this is my first post so I hope my nomination is received to your satisfaction.

Mr Space, apologies as i'm not choosing from your list but it is from the same era -

8. Asteroids (Arcade, Atari Console, various clones on other formats etc.

Probably the only old arcade machine that is still fun to play. I was at a Music Festival recently and they had two machines on free play which were part of an advertising campaign for Mobile Phone Games and people were queueing up to play them! Fantastic!!!!!! 1980 all over again !!!!!!

'Tis my mission in life to own one, preferably with dated graffitti and cigarette burns.

-----

Posted by Opa-Opa:
Oh what a game.. I have grown up living around arcades, this game has always been there and still nothing really plays like the real thing.
I was lucky enough to work in a place that had one of the small upright cabinets set to free play plus it had the bonus of having a high score save kit fitted.. pure gaming joy....

-----

Posted by paranoid marvin:
Yes ,I used to love arcade machines with lots of buttons when I was a kid

Anyone remember the controller for Lunar Lander in the arcade?

-----

Posted by Darran@Retro Gamer:
six more to go, then I can put mine in. Yay

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun May 14, 2006 9:33 am

Posted by RB:
7. Football Manager – ZX Spectrum

OK, granted, not the finest exponent of graphical excellence ever created but for sheer playability, Football Manager had it by the bucket load. After carefully choosing your team for the next game you could sit back and plunge yourself into the tension of the match highlights.

So what if the graphics were utter pap? Watching your little UDG stickmen trying to score in a goal which, if the proportions were anything to go by, were about approximately 100 feet wide and 40 feet high, was truly emotive stuff.

Who hasn't sat there transfixed, starring at the screen, willing the pixel into the (non-existent) net and cheering on every goal that finally takes you through to the 2nd Round of the FA Cup to take on Halifax? Punching the air is nothing to be ashamed of, nor is swearing at the stickman goalkeeper. You’re censored-ahh… well, quite…

So, forget your virtual reality headset nonsense, this is where total gaming immersion takes place. It goes to show that you really don't need a 100 strong team of graphic artists and programmers to create a totally credible gaming environment.

All you need is 16K, a RAM pack (minus wobble) and a beardy fellow called Kevin Toms.

-----

Posted by CrookedMouth:
God it's hard to choose just one! Impossible Mission, silky smooth animation and controls...no wait Parallax, Sensibles best game/martins best score IMO...no wait...Starglider, amiga goodness...no wait...ah frig it.

6. Archon (Commodore 64,1983 Electronic Arts, FreeFall Associates)

Truly brilliant and original game design, back in the 1983 sea of climbing, maze and shooter games, Archon rose to the top with its simplistic yet addictive strategy play.Before BattleChess and maybe the closest you would come to the 3D chess game in StarWars but with a fantasy vibe. While playing the computer was fun and challenging the real game was against a friend. The battles were ultra twitchy and super fast, some may say too much so, but the speed just enhanced the game. I still play to this day.

-----

Posted by Mayhem:
CrookedMouth wrote:God it's hard to choose just one! Impossible Mission, silky smooth animation and controls.
Well don't worry about that there...

5. Impossible Mission (Commodore 64, 1984 Epyx)

Yes I wrote about it in Retro Gamer, and all this time I've been banging my head trying to decide which game to pick for here. But it truly is one of the greats, simply because of its replay value. The whole package just reeks of quality, from the smooth animation on Agent 4125, to the attention to detail within each room and the brilliant speech shoehorned in towards the end of the project. Sure it's not actually impossible, but you're going to have a lot of fun trying to get there for the first time.

(and now, someone please nominate The Sentinel cos it has to be there and I didn't choose it!)

-----

Posted by revgiblet:
CrookedMouth wrote:God it's hard to choose just one! Impossible Mission, silky smooth animation and controls...no wait Parallax, Sensibles best game/martins best score IMO...no wait...Starglider, amiga goodness...no wait...ah frig it.

6. Archon (Commodore 64,1983 Electronic Arts, FreeFall Associates)
Yes. Great choice.

-----

Posted by Kajagoogoo:
Thanks for the Kudos on Asteroids guys, had to be done

Impossible Mission (stay a while, STAY FOREVER!!!) and Archon, two great games people

Kaja

-----

Posted by CraigGrannell:
So: we're finally getting there (and I'm well happy to see Archon in the list); just four more to go! Ah, the suspense. Will Darran get there in time, or will he be pipped at the post?

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun May 14, 2006 9:35 am

Posted by kaiserpc:
Hope this gets printed "as is" in the mag (with a small screenshot)

-----

Posted by Kickboxingshrimp:
somebody nominate "Rockstar ate my hamster....." lol

-----

Posted by necronom:
And Paradroid!

-----

Posted by Jazzem:
How about the really, really, really obvious ones that haven't even been posted?

-----

Posted by paranoid marvin:
No-ones's nominated Paradoid!?

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun May 14, 2006 9:38 am

Aaaand I'm done. Sorry that the formatting's now screwed up for the last page or so, but blame phpBB for that. I'm guessing some developers still don't test their stuff in all browsers...

So: please carry on with the list. Next up is #4. And as stated previously, all discussion regarding whether Polybius should be in the list or not should now be restricted to this thread. Anything further on that game in this thread will be deleted.