RG forum's 100 great retro games—as chosen by YOU!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SegaMark

Post by SegaMark » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:09 pm

86 - Rez (Dreamcast, 2001)

I actually first played this on a PS2 demo disc, but after that I grabbed it for my Dreamcast. I can't explain why I like it so much. But when I'm sat infront of my telly, with big loud headphones on, this game draws me in so much I don't notice anything that's around me. The sound, and the visuals just draw you in, deeper, and deeper. One of my best gaming experiences ever.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:16 pm

85.Pirates! - (Amiga)

Like Elite,but with ships.This game took up weeks of my life.There was just so much to do.Rescuing members of your family,seducing governors' daughters,duelling with swords and fighting with cannon.You could be a pirate - or a pirate-hunter -or you could choose simply to trade between ports instead.
The interface was easy to use,and the game could be played at varying skill levels-the harder the game,the larger the share of the booty you got.
The graphics and sound are also worthy of note.

In my opinion Sid Meir's best game
Last edited by paranoid marvin on Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:21 pm

84 - Final Fantasy VII (Playstation, 1997)

The game that made me realise that you can get lost in a game world. It had a cinematic beauty and a wonderful storyline. I would hear FFVII music in all sorts of strange places. I loved that you could rename the characters as it just brought you closer to them (my main gang were Molko, Thrud, Dino, & Spike). I have played this through twice at over 50 hours each, 100 hours for £35 is a bargain and I am still planning to play it through agaoin when I can find the time.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:32 pm

83 Willow Pattern Adventure (C64)

This is often over-looked and long forgotten by many people who enjoy retro gaming. I do my best to remind as many people about it as possible!

Basically, it's a platform/maze game with oriental overtones. The plot is quite standard - You have to rescue your girl from the evil old man. This involves negotiating the maze, picking up food and killing the samurai that are scattered around the area. Some of them throw swords that can be picked up and used against them. For the ones that don't, the player has to pick up ones from around the maze. However, there are only a certain amount, so its crucial that you work out how many are needed, otherwise there is no point in going on if there are no swords left!

To get to certain parts, it involves going onto a little sub game where you have to jump across stepping stones - The screen changes for these and you have to avoid the men who are reaching from the top to try and stop you. once across, you continue with the main game.

Once you reach the girl, you have to hot foot it back the way you came. So keep the route in your mind and reverse it, 'cos the old man is quite spritely!

Give this a go and you might find yourself enjoying it! (Its also on Speccy and Amstrad - Those versions are very similar to the C64 version).

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:16 pm

83 Phantasy Star Online DC

At its worst an online Gauntlet at its best a deep RPG, set within a tight game world, the game allows little exploration but lots of ways to play, and progression is firmly based on growing your character and their mag. Online it requires teamwork, patience and skill.

Probably still the most iconic game to date in terms of style and feel, the music is timeless and the graphics subtle, yet the imagery still burns its hues into your memory. With some of the best bosses seen in a videogame world it truly is an amazing release and whether they agree or not, is definately Sonic Teams Opus.
Just where is Mickey T?

James A

Post by James A » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:20 pm

81 - Speedball 2 - Amiga/Megadrive

Whats not to say about this game. Even to this day it must be rated as one of the best two player games and one player still rules. Smooth graphics, bone crunching tackles, simple intelligent play all add up to a game that was years ahead of its time. Its small touches like the Ice cream cry when injured players are being taken off that adds another layer of class to the game.

Get_in_Gear

Post by Get_in_Gear » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:22 pm

Well - I looked at this and my initial thought was "choose just one game?!? - crikey! This is gonna be a struggle..."

Cookie.
Super Star Wars.
Atic Atac.
Gran Turismo.
Head Over Heels.
etc etc

But then I saw Final Fantasy VII had already made the list and knew what I had to do...

80) Final Fantasy VIII (Playstation, Square, 1999)

Too often overlooked - for me, it is the peak of the series.

The case for:
-The Junction system is the most flexible and, IMHO, coupled with the items/weapons upgrade system - the best "levelling-up" engine of the FF games.
-The introduction of the "card game" - fun, challenging and rewarding subgame... A host of other subgames too.
-The graphics were stylish without being cartoony.
-You start off in a school, and make friends there. Didn't we all?
It is literally a journey from pupil to saviour of a world.
-Memorable and atmospheric score - again, the best of the series.

Nah, as much as I love VII - VIII has he edge as far as I am concerned.
I'm just waiting for the rest of the world to catch up...
:P
FF VII did it first, but FF VIII did it better.
Last edited by Get_in_Gear on Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:47 pm

79) Metal Gear Solid (Playstation, Konami, 1998)
The first game I became completely and utterly obsessed with, and the first on I completed more than once. A true Classic.
真・豪鬼

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:02 am

Get_in_Gear wrote:FF VII did it first
Lol. Surely Final Fantasy did it first.

Matt M

Post by Matt M » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:09 am

78 - Broken Sword (PC)

One of the greatest point and click adventure games I've ever played. I was really impressed by it's cartoon-style look, it's gripping storyline, serious and witty diolague and puzzles. The goat anyone?

A masterpiece of a game, that just has to be played.
"Paris in the Fall, The city holds many memories for me: of cafes, of music, of love... and of death."

Get_in_Gear

Re:

Post by Get_in_Gear » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:10 am

Ash wrote: Lol. Surely Final Fantasy did it first.
Plenty of RPG games "did it" before Final Fantasy, if we are looking at it that way then...

What I was refering to was the "Final Fantasy is on the PlayStation, look, it's in 3D, wow! it's the best thing since sliced bread..."-factor.

R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:12 am

Get_in_Gear wrote:
Ash wrote: Lol. Surely Final Fantasy did it first.
Plenty of RPG games "did it" before Final Fantasy, if we are looking at it that way then...

What I was refering to was the "Final Fantasy is on the PlayStation, look, it's in 3D, wow! it's the best thing since sliced bread..."-factor.

Gotcha. I wasn't taking the p by the way, I just found it funny that the seventh game in a series "did it first".

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:27 am

I think this is a great topic and should be stuck in the mag at some point. Even if it was just a half page list, but better a 4 page feature!!

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:29 am

SirClive wrote:I think this is a great topic and should be stuck in the mag at some point. Even if it was just a half page list, but better a 4 page feature!!
Let's get 100 games on the board then! :)
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:48 am

77 - The Lords Of Midnight - Zx Spectrum 48k

I loved the way you could effect the outcome , control your armies across a vast land , do you stand and defend from the centre of icemark , fall back and defend xajorkith , or lead morkin to the icecrown , for its day it was a superb and atmospheric game , still plays well today.