RG forum's 100 great retro games—as chosen by YOU!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:37 pm

59.Radiant Silvergun
(Cos there's no way anyone else is getting dibs on this :wink: )

Although many see this as a real Marmite game (people either love it or hate it), in my opinion this HAS to be in the top 100. Yes it's nigh on impenetrable difficulty setting is off putting early on, but sticking with this game brings truly satisfying rewards. It's all about powering up your weapons by learning how to take the (30 odd) bosses apart piece by piece and chaining the coloured enemies for bonus points. There is no reward for credit feeding your way through this game as your weapons won't make a dent on later bosses, making the game a truly frustrating experience. Those that take the trouble to learn the attack waves and boss patterns will realise it's like a giant shoot 'em up themed puzzle waiting to be solved and the fun factor comes in trying out different theories and pondering "what if I did this?" and finding it's many secrets.

So in short it invented the strategy shooter, has tons of amazing bosses, a great weapon levelling up system, kicks the arse of credit feeding noobs, looks great, sounds great, plays great, is by Treasure, has an awesomely weird Anime cartoon at the beginning and has some of the best Japlish in any video game since Zero Wing.

"Be attitude for gains..."

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:56 pm

Come on Mr Jones, your public awaits. I know its a slow moving post but I can almost guarantee that Guitar Hero wont be retro by the time we get to number one :wink:
Just where is Mickey T?

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:59 pm

Can't believe that we are not even at 50 after nearly a week :( . I thought everyone would want their say.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:38 pm

SirClive wrote:Can't believe that we are not even at 50 after nearly a week :( . I thought everyone would want their say.
Well, we're getting there, slowly but surely. With luck and a little time, we'll hopefully get a full list (c'mon, everyone—add your game!) I think hand_solo's attitude was pretty great—"there's no way anyone else is getting dibs on this", so make sure you're favourite is on the list because of you below... (#58 is next.)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

superstarbeejay

Post by superstarbeejay » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:46 pm

how are we sposed to keep up with what has allready been mentioned? Maybe someone could do an updated list every 10 or so. I've got a few ideas but I don't know if any of them have allready been mentioned.

EDIT: didn't check the OP. :oops:

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:47 pm

superstarbeejay wrote:how are we sposed to keep up with what has allready been mentioned? Maybe someone could do an updated list every 10 or so. I've got a few ideas but I don't know if any of them have allready been mentioned.
Read the very first post from Craig - There's a list of everything already mentioned.

flojomojo

Post by flojomojo » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:05 pm

58. Apeiron (Macintosh)
This goofy homage to Centipede is best with the volume up to the maximum, even if you're using a cruddy little built-in mono speaker. Screaming, shooting, blood, and mayhem, along with "ka-ching" and orgasmic noises will annoy onlookers but delight the player. Ambrosia Software really got the risk/reward system right on this game. Get enough multipliers and you'll be playing a single game for a long, long time, but you'll never have an overly easy time of it.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:30 pm

superstarbeejay wrote:how are we sposed to keep up with what has allready been mentioned?
It was a good point, though—I've updated the thread's name, to make it more obvious where to look for the in-progress list (which I'm aiming to update at least once every weekday). Oh, and flojomojo: nice choice!
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

flojomojo

Post by flojomojo » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:41 pm

Thanks, Craig. I was a Mac gamer back when it was the only high-res machine in town. There wasn't much quantity, but the quality was good. I'm so happy to see one of my favorites, Crystal Quest, reappear on the XBOX 360. It's ironic that these old Mac games* have shown up on a Microsoft platform.

*HALO = Marathon 3D, but you already knew that 8)

theserf

Post by theserf » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:02 am

57 - Atic Atac - Spectrum

Played it to death when i bought it in 1984 , great game , superb graphics and a lot of fun , i still play it today , £5.50 for 22 years of gaming , - magic.

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:04 am

Ship of Doom, Speccy.

The hardest text adventure evaaa. It was so hard, it was R@R3!!!1

drws

Post by drws » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:08 am

55 - Megaman (NES)

The start of the series. Although not the best in the series, you need to start somewhere, and without it we wouldn't have Megaman 2

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:49 am

54. Heroes of Might and Magic II (PC)

Probably not everybody's cup of tea but in my opinion the best example of turn based strategy for its time.
Have chosen this over any others in the series due to its relative leap forward in gameplay, graphics and sound.

This was Command and Conquer for the lasy (Although a fantasy theme).

Having a choice of Hero from the all might Barbarian to Hammer horror like Necromincer.. sorry Necromancer, each time you played a scenario you had to keep in mind your armies strengths and weaknesses.

The creature upgrade system was a nice touch as was a different CD score for each type of Castle.

Probably the main reason why I chose this game is I could play the game and leave it on, walk the dog, cook tea, argue with the missus, get refused sex :( , grab a beer :D and when I went back to the computer the game was exactly where I left it.

Oh happy days......

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:22 am

53 - Bounder - C64

Not much talked about game anymore. But Ispent weeks and weeks working out the levels in this game! Cant remember if it was a Zzap! sizzler or Gold Medal. Nice graphics and music - great gameplay = worth another go me thinks!

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:26 pm

Is it still one game person, only Mr Poloman has entered 4 games already. :lol: :lol:

And if he's doing, I'm doing it ! :lol: :lol:

*throws 6 Million Dollar Man out of pram* :P