MIcrosoft odyssey

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mickey T

MIcrosoft odyssey

Post by Mickey T » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:32 pm

Thought i would share this for anyone having ROD issues with their 360s, maybe people could post similar experiences and we could forward it to MS and they could look at their shocking service.
Copy of a email that I sent to MS, still havent had a reply. Apparently my system is on rapid responce, 4 weeks in still dont have iy

Hi Customer Support

Further to last nights telephone call please find the details below of my 360 experience.

My 360 was returned from repair around the 20/8/07 (3 week turnaround) The service here
was generally excellent despite the operator initially getting the email
details incorrect causing a delay in receiving the mailing details.

Sat 1/9/07

After ten days the 360 displayed the dreaded ring of death again, so
on 1/9/07 I called the support number where it took over twenty minutes
for someone to answer the phone. I spoke to a guy called Manfred,
after explainig the situation too him he put me on hold to speak to a
supervisor, after over forty minutes he concluded that a supervisor would
not be available to take my call, so a call back was arranged for Monday
at 6PM.

Mon 3/9/07

Darran from xbox support called at around 1.30pm not 6pm as agreed, I
wasnt available to take the call and my wife asked him to call back at
6pm. The call didnt arrive so at about 8pm I called, after holding for
over 40 minutes I was told by the operator that there wasnt a
supervisor available or anyone to take my call. I explained how dissapointed I
was with this situation, and the advisor hastily arranged a call back
this time for Tuesday.

Tues 4/9/07

As nobody had called by 7.30pm I called again, after waitng over
twenty minutes for the call to be answered I explained that I was less than
happy with the service levels that I had received, only to be told
that supervisors dont work after 6pm but the advisor would arrange for a
call back. I told the advisor that I was not prepared to arrange a call
back as they hadnt previously come through, after refusing to give her
name or offer an alternative solution I realised that all the advisor
was prepared to do was to offer me a call back, so once again I agreed,
this time I offered my mobile number and explained that I would be
available before 1pm.

Weds 5/9/07

At 1.30 I still hadnt recieved a call, so decided to call again,
when asked my name one advisor laughed and the call was imediatley
transfered, when it was answered someone kept saying hello I cant hear you,
hello I cant hear you over and over, unfortunately he was'nt very bright
because he didnt leave a long enough pause between sentences for anyone
to respond, quite obviously someone that couldnt be bothered to take
the call or deal with the call, the call was subsequently cut off by the
operator (I have heard mention of this at a MS call centre before to
be honest and it is an old trick, but I didnt believe it until now).

Thurs 6/9/07

Still no call back, I called again to ask for a supervisor to be told that none were available but one would call back in the next 24 to 48 hours.

Sat 8/9/07

Still no call back, so I called early an operator answered and line went dead, called back to be told that due to technical difficulties I would need to call back in a few hours. I Called back in the afternoon but was on hold for so long I couldnt complete the call.

Sun 9/9/07

Called support again and was told a supervisor would call me in the next 48 hours.

Mon 10/9/07

John from XBOX support called, at last someone I could talk to. John was courteous and emphatic every thing that you would want from someone in his position. Unfortunately despite being able to fully understand the problems I have had John was unable to recommend a suitable solution for me as it was beyond his authority.

Tues 11/9/07 John called again this time offering me a selection of budget games to choose from as comensation the problem here is, I already have most of the games, and the ones I dont have I dont want, I also dont need another joypad or wireless headset

Weds 12/9/07 John calls again, explaining that the head of xbox Germany has sanctioned a limitd edition black controller as compensation, but unfortunately he cant put me through to him because h doesnt take calls.

And that was that, a white controller turned up on Monday, and I have been told that the 360 will be back in the next 2-4 weeks because microsoft are so busy, so in a twelve week period I would have 3 weeks access to my 360.

To be honest all I wanted was a speedy replacement, I am so fed up with MS and their insidious attitude to customers and shoddy workmanship, that i doubt it will even come out of the box when it comes back, but will be put straight on Ebay.

Anyone else enjoying the same levels of service?
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:58 am

It's storys like this that put me off spending hundreds of pounds on a 360..
Some of the game look stunning (not just the graphics) and the on-line setup sounds fantastic..

But I really don't want to take the chance on the hardware yet... I have thought about getting one of those black ones (Elite..) thinking that the problems should have been ironed out by this release but I'm not so sure they have..?

kiniki

Post by kiniki » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:18 am

Opa-Opa wrote:It's storys like this that put me off spending hundreds of pounds on a 360..
Some of the game look stunning (not just the graphics) and the on-line setup sounds fantastic..

But I really don't want to take the chance on the hardware yet... I have thought about getting one of those black ones (Elite..) thinking that the problems should have been ironed out by this release but I'm not so sure they have..?
According to my mate who works in a game shop the Elite has all the same problems that the other models have.

I'm really desperate to get a 360, but considering that every single one potentially has the same fault its really just not worth it till they sort it out in a new model

will2097

Post by will2097 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:38 am

kiniki wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:It's storys like this that put me off spending hundreds of pounds on a 360..

According to my mate who works in a game shop the Elite has all the same problems that the other models have.

I'm really desperate to get a 360, but considering that every single one potentially has the same fault its really just not worth it till they sort it out in a new model
I guess it's swings-and-roundabouts. If you wait (for example) another 9 months without owning a 360, to save yourself 1 month of maybe having to have it repaired - what have you lost? However, what if you're one of the really-really unlucky ones who has to send it back 11 times or more...?

;)

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:51 am

kiniki wrote: According to my mate who works in a game shop the Elite has all the same problems that the other models have.

Alternatively buy one and take it back to the shop for an instant swap if it's not one of the 7/10 machines that continue to work just fine (and that's before the fix that (mate notwithstanding) DOES massively reduce the issues.

It seems silly to deprive yourself for an indeterminate amount when a replacement is a 3 second job and there's less than a 3/10 chance you'll need it.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Mickey T

Post by Mickey T » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:36 pm

Worth pointing out that my first 360 lasted 15 months, and to be honest I thought I had escaped the ring of death scenario. Dont get me wrong I love the 360, but like many I use gaming where previous generations used tv, and the funny thing is without the 360 for so long I havent missed it, and have gone back to playing guitar and reading, whilst using emus to play classic games, cant see where I would fit it in now to be honest. Oh and I have missed the launch of a game I have been waiting for some years, you may have heard of it, Halo 3.

I have just lost interest in the whole thing.

One for duds, a thirty percent failure rate is unacceptable whatever the product is, consumers shouldnt tolerate this at all, you wouldnt buy a car that was going to break down every six months despite the numerous garages that could fix it. Imagine if that were a tv?
For me I see this as a time to finally grow up, not going to waste money that i could spend on my family
ooer

Keeps us off the streets

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:23 pm

30% is terrible yes, but it's well below half and holding out if you want the thing is silly.

A car is a vital piece of equipment to most people, reliability is important. A 360, much less so. TVs are heavier but ultimately if there was only 1 make of TV, you'd still be silly not to get one because of a considerably below half chance it might fail at some point.

And if you consider quitting gaming as growing up, why are you here?

And a further question, why didn't you just take it back where you bought it. The wonderful thing about UK consumer law is it's the retailers responsibility, not yours.

Mickey T

Post by Mickey T » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:30 pm

15 months in, Game didnt want to know.

Wasnt actually saying playing games isnt growing up, bad english on my part, just throwing good money after bad is to me childish given the failure rate of the machine, there are absolutely no guarantees with 360 other than you can send it back when it eventually breaks, and it will, its just when.
There should be a dislcaimer on the box that states failure rate and that if you buy it as your only games machine then there will be times when you will not be able to use the product due to repairs, for me gaming has intergrated into dailly existence, not massive sessions but routine, neither my wife or I watch much tv, and I tend to play games while she pursues her past times and interests, they sit nicely together so it doesnt replace dialogue. Our edlest loves to play Lego Star Wars with eihter parent and its a bit of a treat for him that has been taken away. Its a massive thing to have that taken away, its the disdain about repair tha tpeeves me the most though
ooer

Keeps us off the streets

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:33 am

Mickey T wrote:15 months in, Game didnt want to know.
They don't get that choice. Legally it's their problem not yours. Hell, at 15 months that would be a pretty clear case legally even without a warranty.
Wasnt actually saying playing games isnt growing up, bad english on my part, just throwing good money after bad is to me childish given the failure rate of the machine, there are absolutely no guarantees with 360 other than you can send it back when it eventually breaks, and it will, its just when.
No it won't, the vast majority have never broken. And once again, why send it back, just get it replaced.

I don't debate their phone service could well be shoddy, although why anyone in the UK would need to use it I don't know, but they're hardly alone on that score. They've tripled the warranty so they've reacted to it.

OriginalJax

Post by OriginalJax » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:33 pm

Just buy a Wii and be done with all this nonsense :lol:

(I've had a 360 for almost 2 years I think, and it's never gone wrong. That said, I rarely turn the thing on :|)

O-Jax
WTF!? The 80's are GONE!? And they're never coming BACK!?

RetroENZO

Post by RetroENZO » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:43 pm

It's only the shop's responsibility if returned within 28 days. After that point it only remains the shop responsibility if you've taken out some kind of extended warranty scheme.

Otherwise once you get past the first 28 days, it then reverts to the manufacturer.

On the other hand, I'm coming up on 2 years since I bought my 360 and mine is still working fine.
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:47 pm

My 360 has the ROD - unfortunately it's out of warranty (& a foolish mate decided to take it apart, breaking the warranty seal) - That's a few hundred quid down the swanny!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:48 pm

I love my Wii, when there's people over.

It spends a lot of time idle other than that.

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:39 pm

I've spent half an hour on hold to GAME customer services today before giving up before my mobile credit runs out. I bought a pre-owned PS2 a week last Saturday and returned it a few days later as the laser didn't work. The deputy manager laughed at me and told me I have an attitude problem, just cos I asked for a refund. He eventually replaced it and this one was faulty as well, the player 1 control port doesn't work properly. When I tried to return it, he was the one with the attitude problem, interrupting me with crap about my home town, not letting me talk, insulting me in front of his staff and when I went back last Saturday they called security to have me thrown out, before I'd even said a word. I left and spoke to the floor manager of the shopping centre, having been referred to him by the centre's customer service, he went in and the deputy manager told him loads of crap about me, saying I insulted him and his staff (which I didn't), the floor manager returned to me and gave me a leaflet about trading standards and also his mobile number, saying I should call him if I want him to come into the store with me in future to argue my case with them. A customer in the line in GAME also overheard what was going on and was shocked that they won't give me my money back. 7 years I've been shopping at that GAME store. Not any more.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

Nitters

Post by Nitters » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:51 am

sonic91 wrote:I've spent half an hour on hold to GAME customer services today before giving up before my mobile credit runs out. I bought a pre-owned PS2 a week last Saturday and returned it a few days later as the laser didn't work. The deputy manager laughed at me and told me I have an attitude problem, just cos I asked for a refund. He eventually replaced it and this one was faulty as well, the player 1 control port doesn't...

*snip*
Send a firm but polite letter to the Managing Director explaining the problem, your treatment by staff, how the matter can be solved to your satisfaction and what you are prepared to do if it isn't (hint: legal action).

You'll have a refund within 14 days :)
#define QUESTION ((bb) | !(bb)) - Shakespeare.