Greatest console of all time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

greatest console of all time

mastersystem 1 and 2
1
1%
nes
7
7%
megadrive
29
27%
snes
28
26%
3do
2
2%
cdi
2
2%
jaguar
1
1%
dreamcast
24
23%
n64
5
5%
saturn
7
7%
 
Total votes: 106

User avatar
will2097
Posts: 3909
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Post by will2097 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:44 am

Dudley wrote:And the 360 is it.
pfft. no it f**king isn't.

User avatar
MC1
Posts: 2045
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:04 am

Post by MC1 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:46 am

will2097 wrote:
Dudley wrote:And the 360 is it.
pfft. no it f**king isn't.
Have you got a 360 Will?
Image

User avatar
will2097
Posts: 3909
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Post by will2097 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:52 am

MC1 wrote:
will2097 wrote:
Dudley wrote:And the 360 is it.
pfft. no it f**king isn't.
Have you got a 360 Will?
Yep. A 20gb one.

User avatar
MC1
Posts: 2045
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:04 am

Post by MC1 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:00 am

Have you had a lot of problems with it??

I know a load of people with them, and the only person who has had problems is my older brother.

He has returned 2 and currently waiting to return his a third time and his son's for the first time :cry:

It seems to me that whenever someone has a problem with theirs, it isnt resolved. Faults seem to continue.

It is an interesting poll and discussion though. I have really loved numerous consoles through the years, but I do have to agree with Dudley. To me the 360 is the best console I have owned, I dont just mean the most technically powerful.

360 for me is just spot on for co-op play. Which is what I love doing. The demo's and stuff you can download are excellent, and if you wait 3-4 months, the cost of some pretty good titles become very reasonable if you shop around. :D
Image

User avatar
will2097
Posts: 3909
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Post by will2097 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:35 am

MC1 wrote:Have you had a lot of problems with it??

I know a load of people with them, and the only person who has had problems is my older brother.

He has returned 2 and currently waiting to return his a third time and his son's for the first time :cry:

It seems to me that whenever someone has a problem with theirs, it isn't resolved. Faults seem to continue.

It is an interesting poll and discussion though. I have really loved numerous consoles through the years, but I do have to agree with Dudley. To me the 360 is the best console I have owned, I dont just mean the most technically powerful.

360 for me is just spot on for co-op play. Which is what I love doing. The demo's and stuff you can download are excellent, and if you wait 3-4 months, the cost of some pretty good titles become very reasonable if you shop around. :D
;)

I know come across pretty harsh against the 360, and it's rooted in a long standing dislike of Microsoft that i have. That aside.

On the games front, I've not really been engaged by the system. GoW, Dead Rising, PGR, etc., etc., I dunno - I've not enjoyed them as much as i hoped. They are good but not great IMHO.

Technically it hasn't failed on me, not yet. But neither has it it filled me confidence. It gives weird, very MS errors. Things like 'Please insert disc into MS Xbox 360', that's not a joke, it actually showed me that error on the first day I owned it. It will play a game, then declare the next day (meanwhile nothing changed, the disc wasn't even ejected) that it can longer read the disc. It crashes. It just makes me nervous. In contrast to the original Xbox it's pretty flaky.

...having said that, it's all about the games right? It has some very good games, you can't deny that but no seminal games. It has sprouted a Final Fantasy series, or a Splinter Cell series or MGS series, or even the PGR series. It has some good stuff, more than it's rivals, I'm thinking the PS3 or the Wii in terms of quality games but then it has a a lot less games than DS, the PS2, etc.

It hasn't turned gaming on it's head like maybe the Wii or the Playstation. The Wii, despite my feelings on it, has certainly changed something, it's selling in amazing numbers, to people who never would have bought a games console, it's hit a chord, there is certainly a buzz around it. The last time that happened was when the PSX went into the nightclubs. The 360 hasn't done that at all. It hasn't revolutionised the industry in anyway, it hasn't stopped and made people like my mum and dad think about gaming. It's done nothing of the sort.

Suggesting the 360 (or even the Wii and certainly the PS3) as the greatest console ever is akin to suggesting in a room full of the most significant people on earth ever, dead or alive, that no, actually, Kerry McFaddon is the most important person ever because she has big baps and because she is in Heat magazine a lot, and I had a nice w*nk looking a the smutty pictures of her. Harsh again? Maybe.

What I'm saying, with all reason and sensibility, is, that OK, the 360 has the potential to be the best console ever - only another day. Not today. No way. No f**king chance.

By any measure; games, technical achievement, legacy, support, potential, human interaction, whatever you want - it isn't the best. There is no way it could be. It's not been out long enough. It's not really proven. I say let history judge it first - and then see if it's the best.

User avatar
MC1
Posts: 2045
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:04 am

Post by MC1 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:47 am

I do get your point.

I am still in the 360 camp though :wink:

One thing that does concern me about it is to do with how long it will last.

Can I honestly say that in 20 years time, I will be posting on this site saying that my 360 is in mint condition and still works fine. I can say that about my Atari 2600. I am not overly concerned now about the 360 failing, but not sure in the long run.

Maybe the Xbox 720 will be better made :lol:
Image

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Post by SirClive » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:08 am

Taking sentiment out of it, I would probably have to say that the 360 is the best ever current gen machine.
Image

User avatar
GarryG
Posts: 3238
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:33 am
Location: The cold wet bit above England...

Post by GarryG » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:13 am

SirClive wrote:Taking sentiment out of it, I would probably have to say that the 360 is the best ever current gen machine.
Ok, I can live with that statment ;)

I just don't see how can you possibly say a brand new console is the best ever?

Surely something has to have had a proven track record before you can say it is the best ever.

How influential will the 360 be in 20 years time?
We will only find out in 20 years, so 'best ever console'?

Not even in the running in my book. I supose it depends on what you see as best.

You probably wouldn't even have your 360 if the VCS and other consoles weren't the successes that they were over the years!
Last edited by GarryG on Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Post by SirClive » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:15 am

I said taking emotion out of it. Basing it purely on how technically good it is for the time and the features available for the time.
Image

User avatar
MC1
Posts: 2045
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:04 am

Post by MC1 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:17 am

GarryG,

Does that mean that a newer console can never be considered the best, just because it hasnt been out as long as other stuff?

What about when the 2600 came out?

Was that not the best at the time? Maybe not because it was new? :wink:
Image

User avatar
GarryG
Posts: 3238
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:33 am
Location: The cold wet bit above England...

Post by GarryG » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:18 am

SirClive wrote:I said taking emotion out of it. Basing it purely on how technically good it is for the time and the features available for the time.
In that case the VCS and the Dreamcast have a shout, and possibly the Master System ;)

User avatar
GarryG
Posts: 3238
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:33 am
Location: The cold wet bit above England...

Post by GarryG » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:24 am

MC1 wrote:GarryG,

Does that mean that a newer console can never be considered the best, just because it hasnt been out as long as other stuff?

What about when the 2600 came out?

Was that not the best at the time? Maybe not because it was new? :wink:
In a word, Yes.
I can't see how it could possibly be seen as the 'best ever' until you can put in a proper context, whereby you can judge it against the track record of how successful and influential other machines were in there time.

You can't measure 'best ever' on technical performance, because that will always go up!

Was the VCS the best, hardware wise at the time? No the Colecovision console was.
it did however through time turn out to be the best overall console.
Last edited by GarryG on Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
yethboth
Posts: 2077
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:51 am

Post by yethboth » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:27 am

The Sega Saturn will always get my vote. :D

User avatar
MC1
Posts: 2045
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:04 am

Post by MC1 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:29 am

I dont measure it on technical performance.

Over the years, I have been lucky enough to get the following items on or very near to launch;

2600
Lynx
SNES
N64
Cube
DS
Wii
Megadrive
3DO
PS1

I have loved all of them, but even considering what I thought of the consoles detailed above, at the time, I still consider the 360 the best.

Definately not based on technical performance. Based on fun and enjoyment of the games.
Image

User avatar
RetroENZO
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:08 pm
Location: South Wales
Contact:

Post by RetroENZO » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:07 pm

I notice no-one's mentioned Sony's "wonderful" PS3 yet. Sorry but I've got to go for the 360 as well.

But for different reasons, I'd pick these:
Xbox 360 for being the best technically AT THE MOMENT. I'm sure at some point, it'll be superceded by the next Xbox or Playstation. (However to get any better than they're looking now, I'm expecting holographic gaming)
PS2 for best game collection (but even though I have both a PS2 and a 360, if a game came out on both, then I get the 360 one)
Wii for being the most unique
but as for "retro" consoles... I never used a console until the PS1.

But the category is "Best console of all time" and not "best retro console of all time" so it's got to be the 360 for me, followed by the Wii, then the original Xbox, and then the PS2.
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests