Keeping mint things mint

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

If you buy a rare item in mint condition, do you like to keep it that way?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 46

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:16 pm

Spooky wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:
AlleyKat wrote: Scummers overpricing tatty, soiled games are the real enemy, my brothers!

:)
Right on, its really annoying when I try and find good copies of Mario RPG and Megaman X3 to see "Mario RPG Mint condition SUPER RARE" with a reasonable buy it now, and then see that it only has a slightly worn cartridge up for offer. Always makes me laugh when it says "perfect condition" and "you hardly ever see it in this condition"
I think I'll buy Final Fight 3 then... And speaking of Mario RPG, what it is worth if it's "near mint" (including everything, in very good shape)?
I saw a copy in a shop, so maybe I should go for it and not waste any minute... :lol:
Depends how much on Mario RPG. 1 Gamestation close to me has 2 copies for £65 which are complete, I personally think that is over pricing the game but I'll be damned if I can find it cheaper as every copy seems to be going beyond that price! might cave eventually but I can wait.
Megaman X3 on the other hand..... :D
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:22 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Depends how much on Mario RPG. 1 Gamestation close to me has 2 copies for £65 which are complete, I personally think that is over pricing the game but I'll be damned if I can find it cheaper as every copy seems to be going beyond that price! might cave eventually but I can wait.
Buy both copies. Sell one (ebay?) at the inflated prices you're seeing elsewhere to offset some of the costs of the one you keep.

Everyone's a winner - games aren't sitting idle in a shop, you get a good deal and someone else gets a game they really wanted.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:43 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Depends how much on Mario RPG. 1 Gamestation close to me has 2 copies for £65 which are complete, I personally think that is over pricing the game but I'll be damned if I can find it cheaper as every copy seems to be going beyond that price! might cave eventually but I can wait.
Buy both copies. Sell one (ebay?) at the inflated prices you're seeing elsewhere to offset some of the costs of the one you keep.

Everyone's a winner - games aren't sitting idle in a shop, you get a good deal and someone else gets a game they really wanted.
Good advice, I'm definitely going to get 1 copy if my search for a cheaper one proves fruitless, though I miss worded my comments about them selling expensively. I meant sellers were charging the earth for them (and not selling) rather than actually selling, otherwise I would have already bought and sold the other!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:02 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:

Good advice, I'm definitely going to get 1 copy if my search for a cheaper one proves fruitless, though I miss worded my comments about them selling expensively. I meant sellers were charging the earth for them (and not selling) rather than actually selling, otherwise I would have already bought and sold the other!
I think the copy was being sold for abour 40€ (26£). I think I should hurry! :lol:

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:06 pm

Go, man, Go!!!

speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:35 pm

As I said before, the console is still mint, as the damp has only affected the box. I have opened the box (as it was half open when I got it due to the damp) and when I got it I was so concerned about the dampness of the box I had to open it to check the console. Thankfully the console (and its sealed wrapping) show no signs of damp damage whatsoever, so have stayed mint. I didn't take the console out the wrapping as I can see through the wrapping that it is not damaged by the damp, and why should it be? If the damp only got through the surface card of the box, not through the interior packaing or the wrapping of the console, why would the console be damaged by damp?
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:37 pm

BennyTheGreek wrote:
Dudley wrote: Equally though, on topic. I could put a console in a baggie and tape it up, that doesn't make it mint. You have no idea at all if it's ever been played and the console isn't mint if the box is mint. That's the definition of mint.
If the box is damaged then the box is not mint

If the console is still sealed and never been used then the console is mint.

Why oh why do you doubt Sonic91??

Where do you get this strange paranoia that he is lying?

If he says it is mint (and as he is the only person who has seen it) then it is mint.

If in Sonic91`s head the console is mint and he has paid for it to be mint then fine, the only way to check if it wasnt mint would be to employ some kind of console csi to examine it in a lab environment, but it would still have fingerprints and probably many skin cells off the workers in the factory...who might have even ( :shock: ) playtested it in the factory - so is anything `mint`??

and dont bother replying with something like

"actually there isnt any such organisation as console csi...blah blah"

See? Benny's got it spot on.
You seem to be so arrogant that you can't accept people voting a different answer to you
You listening, Dudley?

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:57 pm

BennyTheGreek wrote:If the box is damaged then the box is not mint

If the console is still sealed and never been used then the console is mint.
But if the box is water damaged and the console has never been used, how does anyone know if the console is completely undamaged?

It's a fair question because regardless of whether an item is factory sealed, if it does not work it isn't mint.

...but geting back to my earlier question: what has any of this got to do with gaming, and why is it in this section? Can't there be a "collector's corner" or something where people who care about collecting for the sake of it can go and have the usual pissing games about what is and what is not "collectable"? It's all getting extremely tiresome.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:14 pm

OK I was just wondering how many people out there have got duplicate games...you know a special jap version of Castlevania with some godawful cd of the programmer farting into a box...or a box set of Halo 3 with a pair of limited edition master chefs (sic) underpants????

Or a tin box version of anything???

or a jap copy (with prettier artwork) of a crappy rpg??

None of the bits (apart from the cart or disc or tape or microdrive) can be classed as a game and I cant remember seeing a listing for an atari underpants console, but hey its all part of gaming just as some people like to keep a console in a box. just as one person keeps an amiga game on the shelf, just as one person has an old broken arcade in their garage.

Its all part of gaming wether you are into it or not...

I personally cannot understand rpgs , but I dont mind and dont shout at anyone who is into them. I would rather play with a pile of rabbit censored, but all it is - is My opinion.which our previous generations fought and died for - to speak our mind if we wish and not to be silenced by anyone or anything.

Sniff :( Damn it I feel all nostagic now...I am going to have to blow someones face off on Half Life 2

:wink:

Yeah I am getting a bit bored with this now.

:twisted:

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:20 pm

BennyTheGreek wrote:Its all part of gaming wether you are into it or not...
Well, in this case it's actually about NOT gaming. Isn't that the whole idea?

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:33 am

BennyTheGreek wrote:Yeah I am getting a bit bored with this now.
Yep, me too. So let us all reach neutral territory, which (IMHO) is:

Anyone can buy any game or console/computer to use as they like. If it is mint and they want to keep it that way, they should without being criticised. If it is mint and they wish to open it and use it, they should without being criticised. Some of us are collectors, some of us are gamers, some of us (like myself) are both. But we all share one thing in common: a passion for retro gaming! So let's stop the bickering, all dig out our Mega Drives and start playing Sonic again! (unless of course it's mint! :lol: ) :wink:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:00 am

Are we all agreed that 'mint' does actually mean FACTORY SEALED and brand new, unopened, exactly as it left the factory?

That's my biggest bugbear with the argument here.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:28 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Are we all agreed that 'mint' does actually mean FACTORY SEALED and brand new, unopened, exactly as it left the factory?

That's my biggest bugbear with the argument here.
That seems to be my understanding on the subject: Mint = sealed and brand new

Which leads me to wonder what condition my games collection is in since they are not mint, but great condition and complete just not factory sealed?

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:30 am

I don't see things needing to be sealed to be mint (but they certainly can't have a mouldy box!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:02 am

You seem to be so arrogant that you can't accept people voting a different answer to you
You listening, Dudley?
You watching Clive? He's completely ignored you.

Can I reply to him if we've dropped that?
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com