Keeping mint things mint

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

If you buy a rare item in mint condition, do you like to keep it that way?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 46

sonic91

Keeping mint things mint

Post by sonic91 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:34 pm

After being criticised for keeping a mint condition Pippin Atmark console in mint conditon, I now seek to prove my point to the likes of Dudley that I'm not the only one who likes to keep things in mint condition. I have some rare consoles and games that are mint, and I like to keep them that way. Apparantly I am depriving the games and consoles of fulfilling the goal of what they are made for. I can't see anything wrong with keeping mint things mint. Surely I'm not the only one. I've seen more than once on these forums that someone has a rare or old game that is still "factory sealed". So why am I criticised for it?
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

MC1

Post by MC1 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:37 pm

I voted to keep them mint.

Have some wires got crossed here? I thought the people who posted meant they kept them mint by not playing them??

As I have mentioned in the other post, I keep stuf mint, but stiull use them. Not just consoles, I am like that with everything I own. I have always looked after my stuff.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:50 pm

Really depends on what you mean by "keeping it mint" I always keep my stuff in great condition, but at the same time I play all my games and use all my consoles as thats what they are.
For example would you keep a rare game sealed (is that what you mean?) as I got Megaman 5 and 6 for the Nes, both sealed and opened both (as I wanted mint versions for my collection, but at the same time I wanted to play them)
So yeah I would keep my stuff mint to a degree, but it wouldn't stop me using them. Though I do understand why you would want to keep something like that mint.
Its your money and choice after all
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

MC1

Post by MC1 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:59 pm

I would open the items, but keep them 'as mint' as possible.

Is that still classed as mint though?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:05 pm

I want a game to come with instructions and any other gubbins it was originally sold with . As long as they're not ripped or stained I'm fine with that
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:40 pm

Some would argue that as soon as you open/unwrap a "mint" item it becomes "near mint," regardless.

My personal attitude is to look after my stuff, keep it as nice as possible but still get full use & pleasure out of it- whether its rare or not.

For example, a couple of months back i managed to get a sealed* Sapphire for the PC Engine which was pretty expensive, but I didnt hesitate to open the f**ker because i wanted to play it, not keep it in a vacumn sealed vault away from pesky humans.

I possibly do border on the anal as far as taking care of my stuff goes, but I think its because my parents were on a low income when i was a kid, so I always respected my toys, books, games etc rather than just junk them.

Collecting to own something as an inert artifact is somewhat perverse if it defeats the point of its existance- which in the case of a game is to be played- I dont condemn those that choose to do this- it just seems a shame somehow...

*Or should that be FACTORY SEALED? :wink:
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:44 pm

You really like to hold a grudge. One funny picture a year ago and you take every opportunity to have a go.

Are we married and I never noticed?

--

To summerise though, if you refuse to play a machine, you don't have a machine, you have a lawn ornament. All you achieve is stopping someone else from enjoying the machine, especially when it's a rare one, it MIGHT be a little different if it was a SNES.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:17 pm

In collector's terms, no matter what the collection is, 'mint' generally means 'as new from the factory'.

In the case of games and/or consoles where that means keeping things sealed and/or never removing them from their plastic bags, tie wraps etc, then I can't agree with that. Its a bit pointless. Its not the same as, say, figurine collecters who want carded figures, as they can still be admired from within their bubbles. Code isn't like that, it has to be played to be appreciated.

So I say 'No Mint'.

I do like to keep all my stuff in as good condition as possible though, and given the choice for most things would opt for a complete boxed game rather than a cart or disk only. The exception to this for me is SNES games, as the card boxes are too easily damaged. I'm happy to buy loose carts for that and not worry about the damage.

Get the Pippin out, its not a sin. You'll enjoy it much more in the long run.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:02 pm

Dudley wrote:You really like to hold a grudge. One funny picture a year ago and you take every opportunity to have a go.

Are we married and I never noticed?

--

To summerise though, if you refuse to play a machine, you don't have a machine, you have a lawn ornament. All you achieve is stopping someone else from enjoying the machine, especially when it's a rare one, it MIGHT be a little different if it was a SNES.
Oh, OK Dudley, do you want to play with my Pippin? :x Am I depriving everyone else in the world of the chance to use a console? Would you say this to everyone the world over who keeps something mint? At least you can admit you hold a grudge. Every time I try to make a point in a thread that someone completely disagrees with they seem to refer to the religion debate we had. So I get accused of bearing a grudge when quite clearly by referring to that thread they do too. By the way, those pictures deeply offended me, but I don't keep reminding anyone of them, people keep reminding me of them every time I voice my opinion, whether it be about games, consoles, football or anything else. SO I'M NOT THE ONE BEARING A GRUDGE. QUITE VICE VERSA, IF YOU ASK ME!

I have an opinion like everyone else. Just cos it conflicts with someone elses opinion doesn't mean I take every opportunity to "have a go". I don't have a problem with anyone using anything of theirs that was mint when they got it, so why should everyone have a problem with me because I like to keep certain things mint? Forgive me if it sounds like I'm bearing a grudge but I can't see why you think I am because I'm the one getting criticised. Maybe I should start bearing a grudge, cos you'll notice a substantial difference.
Last edited by sonic91 on Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:20 pm

I only have one item that I will never open and that is a Orbital 12" that believe it or not holds VERY special memories for me......To open it would be almost sacreligious...but this is just a personal thing...

I have recently purchased some mint items and opened them immediately as I wanted to play them, but they will be well looked after......

I think if you have a particular interest in a certain genre or series of games and you wish to keep it unused or unopened then fine....

I have a z88 computer which I never power up and almost treat it as an ornament as I personally think it is very pretty (once again my opinion) but I dont think I am spoiling anyones life by not using it as it was originally intended.

Remember if you argue with certain people , the post will become locked.

It really is pointless sometimes expressing your opinion on here as the nasties come out to play and get personal

cruachan

Post by cruachan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:28 pm

I like to keep things in tip top condition. I also collect star wars and tranformers and have a lot of sealed - never before opened stuff. Games and consoles are totally different, yes I keep them mint but am not interested in factory sealed stuff. Having said that I once acquired a few sealed dreamcast titles that I already had....so I am keeping them sealed....for novelty value.

lupogtiboy

Post by lupogtiboy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:30 pm

i can honestly say that if i find something in 'mint' condition, i try to keep it that way. not that i own anything mint really, everything i buy is to use whenever i see fit.

why is it on every forum you go on, there are a certain number of 'keyboard warriors' who think that someone is wrong for having any kind of opinion. i have mine, you have yours, deal with it. its very difficult to put some things across on the net, and personal opinions and feelings are practically impossible. so come on guys, this is one of the friendliest forums i know of, lets keep it that way!

thats my 2p anyway!
Its small, its fast, its just gone past! www.clublupo.co.uk

its not a proper job, and you can never go too far

John Paulie

Post by John Paulie » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:41 pm

If I'm going to spend a lot of money on a rare and mint conditioned game, I might as well keep it in that condition and not let my hard earned money go to waste. I had to learn this the hard way though. I wish I would've token care of all the video games I had while growing up.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:54 pm

While I never keep anything in mint condition (I'd rather try to keep something in good condition while actually enjoying), I don't mind the fact that there are people out there who do. If a number of people keep certain consoles in mint condition, maybe they'll end up in a museum showcase some day in the distant future. Probably after that person has died or something.

Mind you, when it comes to star wars figures and the like, all still trapped in their bubble of packaging, it starts to get a whiff of OCD. But hey, when you think about it, so does my habit of washing my hands exactly fifty times a day to make sure I don't die.

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:29 pm

I open things up and play them, but I always take good care of them because I like to keep them in good nick.
真・豪鬼