Bioshock

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:56 pm

beesty wrote:Now would you kindly all agree that Bioshock has the best sound,graphics and escapism of any 1st person shooter around(Deus Ex been the other one).

I agree. Definately.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:26 pm

Early days with Bioshock, but I have to agree with the sound and graphics........easily the best I have ever seen.....

Anyone else have a flashback to Shawshank Redemption when you get the pistol and the song from Shawshank is playing??? In the film Andy is holding a gun when the song is played in the film......

The graphics are amazing...I spent ages tonight just walking through water and staring at my feet!!! :shock:

Still have half Life 2 at the top of my list, but Bioshock is catching up pretty quickly......

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:47 pm

Played a good bit of BIOSHOCK last night. got passed the medical pavilion bit and now in some offices.

the graphics are mental! he best i've ever seen in a long time. the PLASMID system is good because you can trade your abilties. Love the Telekinisis one. just love throwing things at the slicers. failing that, flaming them works just as well.

i found it easy to pick up and play. probably the easiest game to get into.

still waiting for FEAR though. scary: yes. is DOOM 3 scary? not really. DOOM 3 is like a b hollywood action movie wereas FEAR and BIOSHOCK are the hollywood blockbusters.
Last edited by JetSetWilly on Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

beesty

Post by beesty » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:24 am

JetSetWilly wrote:Played a good bit of BIOSHOCK last night. got passed the medical pavilion bit and now in some offices.

the graphics are mental! he best i've ever seen in a long time. the PLASMID system is good because you can trade your abilties. Love the Telekinisis one. just love throwing things at the slicers. failing that, flaming them works just as well.

i found it easy to pick up and play. probably the easiest game to get into.

still waiting for FEAR though. scary: yes. DOOM 3 scary? not really. DOOM 3 is like a b hollywood action movie wereas FEAR and BIOSHOCK are the hollywood blockbusters.
FEAR is scary as hell in places but I did find it a bit of a let down in the horror stakes,it also gets a bit too samey as you seem to just be in office blocks most of the time.
I prefered Doom 3
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

kiniki

Post by kiniki » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:37 am

I played Alien Vs Predator 2 on the PC... that made me just a few times...

Fear had its odd moments, although I didn't play much as my pc just wasn't really up to it.

Played the Demo of Bioshock and really enjoyed it, sadly I have to have every setting on low... and if you've tried it, you'll know it make Bioshock look pig ugly!

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:15 am

every once in a while on the PC a game comes along that actually makes it worth while buying a new graphics card.

Bioshock is one such game.....

I tend to buy the budget range of graphics card and they seem to do me a couple of years at £60-£70 a pop...I dont mind paying this...

I picked up a ATI HD2600 Pro with 512mb for £60 last week and Bioshock looks amazing...I know it isnt the super duper Bruce Lee kick yo ass graphic card and I could have spent £400 on a top of the range one....but why???

I am genuinely AMAZED at the graphics on Bioshock and I know all the console owners will say "I have everything in the box and it looks amazing" but I work for my coin and I will spend it in a nice economic way thank you...

The Ice Plasmid !!! Wow I just selected this and slowly turned around and it looks like ice on his arm.....

Hats off to the programmers because yes its only eye candy but as Homer might say...

"Mmmmmm Eye Candy"

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:26 am

or theres always....

mmmmmmm, incinerate......
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:27 am

My new graphics card will probably explode when Crysis is released :(

MC1

Post by MC1 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:50 pm

How cool is the Big Daddy Plasmid!!!!

I love watching them smash a splicers face in. Class.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:28 am

Winter Blast is just as cool.

love doing the cheesy action flick one-liners: you need to cool off, freeze, sucker!, its the return of the human ice lolly, etc.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:22 am

"you need to chill out mo fo"

"Ice to see you ...to see you ice"

:oops:

I will get my coat , i dont think the brucie forsyth one works........

RetroENZO

Post by RetroENZO » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:33 am

Scary games:

The Project Zero/Fatal Frame games.
Condemned
Silent Hill
Plus I still find the blood trail sections of Max Payne unnerving (particularly the bloodcurdling scream you hear at one point).
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:25 pm

BennyTheGreek wrote:"you need to chill out mo fo"

"Ice to see you ...to see you ice"

:oops:

I will get my coat , i dont think the brucie forsyth one works........

hahahahahahahahaha...nice one!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

the theres always: you've a cold, cold heart!!!

on an unrelated note, im about to go on XBOX LIVE...if anyone fancies a game of either: GEARS OF WAR, STRANGLEHOLD, BIOSHOCK, FULL AUTO, CALL OF DUTY 3 or FEAR, my gamer tag is DarklingMike...drop me a line.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:02 am

K, Played las nite....an a bit disapointed....scary no!!

Interesting concept though and reasonably enjoyable to play....I dunno.....maybe I am a true retrohead after all.......Just seemed "The Same old SH1T" to me.....

Ended up playing Geo Wars Evoloved in the end an enjoyed it more....Love the way u can stream music an play xbox live at the same time.....Dolby system blastin out Nirvana and plazma blasts at the same time. very kuul!!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Nitters

Post by Nitters » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:24 pm

I'm only thirty minutes in, and I'm loving Bioshock. Just got the flamer Plasmid, and Dammit I want Plasmids in real life! Imagine the endless possibilities!

Colleague: Dude, have you seen the boss?
Me: [Gestures with thumb] Vita Chamber
Colleague: Oh really, why?
Me: Well, he came in here wanting to "understand" my falure to deliver the Bennet repot so I had to flame him.
#define QUESTION ((bb) | !(bb)) - Shakespeare.