Homebrew Interest?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Post Reply
User avatar
cdoty
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:50 am
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Homebrew Interest?

Post by cdoty » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:07 pm

Would you consider purchasing smaller homebrew CD games starting at $10 to $13? The supported system would probably include the Sega/Mega CD, Neo Geo CD, Atari Jaguar CD, CD-I, Amiga CD32 and, possibly the Dreamcast.

At this price, only the CD with professionally printed label would be included. More expensive packages would be available.
Assuming you would purchase the games, would you be more likely to buy just the CD or a full package?

Again, assuming you would purchase the games, how often would you be willing to purchase a new game, assuming the games were worth
purchasing. (There would be a minimum of 3-6 months between games, probably).

The games wouldn't be as big as a normal CD game, but would cost a fraction of the normal price.
How many people play a standard released game for more than an hour?

Does the time spent playing justify the cost?

Do you buy a game as a collectable item or to play it?


I'm pondering the future direction of RasterSoft and how to bring some quality games to many different CD based systems. Developing homebrew games on a non-commercially viable system does has some limitations; we do not have the time or resources to produce a full scale commercial style release. To compensate for this we want to keep the price as low as possible, narrow the focus to produce the highest quality game and, spread the cost over several game systems. I am trying to determine if the Mastertronic model, of producing smaller games at a 'smaller' price, would fit in the homebrew market.


Thanks for your time in answering these questions.
Visit RasterSoft on facebook or visit the website.

User avatar
MikeHaggar
Posts: 4787
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Homebrew Interest?

Post by MikeHaggar » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:08 am

cdoty wrote:Would you consider purchasing smaller homebrew CD games starting at $10 to $13? The supported system would probably include the Sega/Mega CD, Neo Geo CD, Atari Jaguar CD, CD-I, Amiga CD32 and, possibly the Dreamcast.
I'd buy that
cdoty wrote:At this price, only the CD with professionally printed label would be included. More expensive packages would be available.
Assuming you would purchase the games, would you be more likely to buy just the CD or a full package?
Depends on how much extra the full package would cost....

cdoty wrote:Again, assuming you would purchase the games, how often would you be willing to purchase a new game, assuming the games were worth purchasing. (There would be a minimum of 3-6 months between games, probably).
Well... 3-6 months seems fine to me.

cdoty wrote:The games wouldn't be as big as a normal CD game, but would cost a fraction of the normal price.
How many people play a standard released game for more than an hour?
I do.

cdoty wrote:Does the time spent playing justify the cost?
If it's a good game, then yes.

cdoty wrote:Do you buy a game as a collectable item or to play it?
Both.

psj3809
Posts: 18738
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Post by psj3809 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:27 am

I would like to buy any new games i can use on emulators. I buy practically every new Spectrum game released by Cronosoft. There 'might' be ways of getting the game free in todays age but the games are cheap and i want to help support these new games.

I wouldnt buy any packaged games from you as my gaming is strictly with emulators BUT if you did release emulator images to buy i would certainly buy most of these if the games were decent.

For me homebrew games on emulators i'll buy but original hardware i wouldnt.

User avatar
GarryG
Posts: 3221
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:33 am
Location: The cold wet bit above England...

Post by GarryG » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:02 am

I would definitely be interested in the Mega-CD and Dreamcast stuff that is playable on the original platform.

Would you be talking about games on CD or GD for the Dreamcast?

User avatar
felgekarp
Posts: 9350
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 11:47 am
Location: Earth 3

Post by felgekarp » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:28 am

I'd be interested in some Dreamcast stuff every now and again and as I buy games just to play rather than collect I'd be happy to just get the cd.
Splink!

User avatar
cdoty
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:50 am
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Post by cdoty » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:26 am

GarryG wrote:Would you be talking about games on CD or GD for the Dreamcast?
The Dreamcast releases would be on CD.
Visit RasterSoft on facebook or visit the website.

User avatar
cdoty
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:50 am
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Post by cdoty » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:32 am

psj3809 wrote:I wouldnt buy any packaged games from you as my gaming is strictly with emulators BUT if you did release emulator images to buy i would certainly buy most of these if the games were decent.
Hmm, hadn't really thought of that. That would futher reduce the code of the game to around $6 for a CD image, and eliminate any shipping charges.


Additional question:
Would you purchase a $6 CD image, that you could burn for yourself, over a $10 (+ shipping) CD?
Visit RasterSoft on facebook or visit the website.

User avatar
MikeHaggar
Posts: 4787
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Post by MikeHaggar » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:10 pm

cdoty wrote:Would you purchase a $6 CD image, that you could burn for yourself, over a $10 (+ shipping) CD?
No.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest