Who remembers Soft Aid?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DonkeySpank

Re:

Post by DonkeySpank » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:47 am

Frank Chickens wrote:...Nice to see that Kokotoni Wilf still had the level skip cheat though. :D
What?!? Kokotoni Wilf has an in-built level cheat?!?! What is it? Been trying to complete that bugger for 20-odd years!!

Ghostbiscuit

Post by Ghostbiscuit » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:04 am

So where was Soft 8? Missed opportunity there, methinks.

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:41 am

Ghostbiscuit wrote:So where was Soft 8? Missed opportunity there, methinks.
Like its musical counterpart, it would have been a weak pastiche of the original! :)

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:46 am

With the jarring "Parappa the Rapper" in the middle of it for no reason whatsoever.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Rev

Re:

Post by Rev » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:22 am

Rev wrote:They kept coming too - the Help compilation on the PS1 had all it's profits go to childrens charities. Some OK games in it too - Road Rash (dodgy ps1 version...), Myst and Broken Sword 1.

There were some good ones on the amiga too...can't remember what they were called though. I think one had that Quavers game where you pushed over dominoes...

Which I also can't remember the name of at the moment. Hmm.

4.51am you say?
Well the game was Pushover. Can't find the compilation though...

I just remember it being advertised in Sega Power and that a mate bought it...hmmm.

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:00 pm

HEY!!!
What's this Kokotoni Wilf cheat thing?!?!?
I NEED IT!!

Frank Chickens

Re:

Post by Frank Chickens » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:52 pm

DonkeySpank wrote:HEY!!!
What's this Kokotoni Wilf cheat thing?!?!?
I NEED IT!!
At the start, when the title is displayed, press 2 to enter time zone two (1066) or press 3 to enter time zone three (1467).
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:35 am

I had Softaid on the C64. As already mentioned it had a different set of games to the Speccy one. I do remember it being a really class compilation though. I liked Gumshoe, Fred (the C64 version of Roland on the Ropes) and Falcon Patrol. Kokotoni Wilf was too hard.

It also had a game called Star Trader (I think) which was a nice little game despite being a rip-off of Elite.

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:38 am

I think everyone (old enough) had Soft Aid! It was the only way I'd ever buy Do They Know It's bleedin' Christmas!

sH

Re:

Post by sH » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:40 pm

Frank Chickens wrote:I got this at the time thuogh looking back, would it be considered cynical that on the whole this was just a way for the software house to dump a lot of mediocre titles while making themselves look good?
Maybe in the case of some of the software houses. I seem to remember that it was Rod Cousins from Quicksilva who started the whole thing off, and I'm sure his intentions were totally honourable. The story went that he basically phoned up Bob Geldof and pitched the idea to him, Bob said "yeah, sounds like a good idea" so off they went. However they'd not actually squared any of it with the Band Aid Trust, even though the packaging and promo made definite links... I'm not even sure they actually had permission to put *that* song on it either. Not that any of it mattered really, of course...

Did anyone actually work out how to play "Starbike" ?

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:19 pm

I've still got a few of the compilations mentioned here in my Speccy collection....Soft Aid, WoW (War On Want) and Select 1.

There's an unsung classic on Select 1, one of my favourite adventure games of all time....Denis through the Drinking Glass. It's a complete censored take of Denis Thatcher, done in the style of Alice in Wonderland/Alice through the Looking Glass and is still quite amusing today. :lol:

Gilligan's Gold (on Soft Aid) was, IMO better than the arcade game it ripped off, though I'm surprised Ocean managed to get away with the amount of rip offs they did....Eskimo Eddie wasn't at all like *cough* Pengo *cough*, then there was Mr Wimpy *ahem* Burgertime *ahem* (That one was on the Select 1 tape too) and Kong Strikes Back bore more than a passing resemblance to Mr Do's Wild Ride....

Frank Chickens

Re:

Post by Frank Chickens » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:12 am

ToxieDogg wrote:I'm surprised Ocean managed to get away with the amount of rip offs they did....Eskimo Eddie wasn't at all like *cough* Pengo *cough*, then there was Mr Wimpy *ahem* Burgertime *ahem* (That one was on the Select 1 tape too) and Kong Strikes Back bore more than a passing resemblance to Mr Do's Wild Ride....
I was talking to a well-known programmer at the first Classic Gaming Expo, and apparently it can be said that it's not the first time a Mancunian software house has done something like this.

Before a certain well-known Mancunian software house became known as a body of water, they were knocking out 'homages' to the arcade games at the time. The programmers were paid a pittance then releasing more titles when they were forced to stop selling the originals, so to speak.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

Kaptain_Von

Re:

Post by Kaptain_Von » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:45 am

Did anyone actually work out how to play "Starbike" ?
Yes, I did and managed to rack up a score of 26,000,000 plus. At one point I had so many extra lives I left it to go to the shops and have tea. There was one spot on one of the screens where if you stopped the bike the aliens would miss you and hit something else but the score counter would increment. The annoying thing was, when it was originally released there was a competition to win a BMX bike and my score beat that of the winner (which I think was about 15,000,000 points).
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:15 pm

Yeah I remember Soft Aid. It also had the "Do They Know It's Christmas Time?" song on the actual tape as well. Loved playing Gumshoe and Beam Rider on it. I had it for the C 64, I assume that there were the same games on it for all of the 8 bit formats.

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:06 am

I've got a C64 version of it in a box somewhere. It was better than many other compilations, but suffered from the same problem as far as C64 tape users were concerned: you'd have to load each game individually at least once to note down the tape positions. Also, the bigger the collection the longer the tape and this meant lots of tiresome winding/rewinding to get from one game on the tape to another.