Can the PS2 be considered "Retro"

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Is the PS2 Retro?

Yes
4
6%
No
67
94%
 
Total votes: 71

User avatar
gmintyfresh
Posts: 5955
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:28 am
Location: Leeds England
Contact:

Can the PS2 be considered "Retro"

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:17 am

Do you think that the PS2 can be considered retro yet forum members?

Personally I don't think it can:

1. There are still quite a lot of games being released on a monthly basis for the PS2 (and still the occasional AAA title).

2. Whilst the PS3 has been released and the sales are just starting to kick in, the PS2 still outsells it.

3. Just because the next generation of console is out it doesn't consign it forbear to history, look at the extended life of the NES and Master System when the SNES and MD came out. I fact Sony's own PS1 console still continued successfully after the debut of the PS2.

User avatar
Spooky
Posts: 2298
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:40 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Post by Spooky » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:32 am

I don't think it is "retro"... At least not now but it won't be long.
Though, the first games released, such as Ridge Racer, Fantavision, Tekken Tag Tournament are quite old now, they're getting more & more retro every day... :lol:

User avatar
Shin_Gouki
Posts: 1462
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:11 am
Location: Shadow Moses Island, Fox Archipelago

Post by Shin_Gouki » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:39 am

Not at all.
真・豪鬼

User avatar
RetroENZO
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:08 pm
Location: South Wales
Contact:

Post by RetroENZO » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:41 am

The PS2 still has a high percentage of games being produced on a regular basis. However, Retro Gamer has covered games produced on the machine - this month has got Crazy Taxi for instance. (Okay yes I know the magazine's referring to the Dreamcast version but the PS2 produced a good port).

However... is the XBox now retro as there are no new games being produced for this machine?
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter
Image

User avatar
rupert
Posts: 871
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: manchester, england
Contact:

Post by rupert » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:52 am

I still struggle to think the DC is retro, Saturn scrapes through I guess, but in my mind Retro is Mega Drive era and earlyer :? I guess the younger you are the more your opinion would differ from this.

User avatar
GarryG
Posts: 3231
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:33 am
Location: The cold wet bit above England...

Post by GarryG » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:08 am

Image Absolutely not!!!! Image



Even if there were no more games being produced for it, it still wouldn’t make it ‘retro’ just because there is a newer console out by the same manufacturers!?!?!?

Come on, that is by no way a definition of RETRO people!!


By the ‘no more’ games argument, the Xbox is now ‘retro’ and the Dreamcast isn’t!
Not that I would necessarily say the Dreamcast is. But I would still like to see it in RG as it, like the Saturn, is seen as a failed console, but there is still a lot of good undiscovered software out there. To me that’s what makes the difference. Everybody has herd about PS2 and Xbox games, the mainstreem computer press has covered them. I don’t see anything wrong with RG covering later games that were not covered by the mainstream computer press.
Last edited by GarryG on Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Randall Flagg
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:21 am
Location: The Underwurlde
Contact:

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:09 am

No No NO!!!!! PSOne is only jus retro an that strechin it a bit!!!!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11102
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:27 am

The PS2 still seems to current for me to consider it retro, especially as it has had quite a few nice releases in the last year (Okami, Godhand, God of war II Etc) and also because of the fact that you can still buy brand new PS2 games in all games stores.

I personally think it will still be perhaps another 5-10 years before its considered retro, as even though I love my Dreamcast I wouldn't really consider it retro either.

Just my opinion though.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Post by SirClive » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:32 am

Hell no. But PS1 and DC ARE.
Image

User avatar
GarryG
Posts: 3231
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:33 am
Location: The cold wet bit above England...

Post by GarryG » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:42 am

SirClive wrote:Hell no. But PS1 and DC ARE.
Ok, I’ll bite ;)

I would say PS1 is now marginal, but how can you say the DC is retro when it has the same generation hardware as the PS2?

User avatar
woody.cool
Posts: 8809
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 am
Location: Northampton, UK
Contact:

Post by woody.cool » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:03 am

GarryG wrote:
SirClive wrote:Hell no. But PS1 and DC ARE.
Ok, I’ll bite ;)

I would say PS1 is now marginal, but how can you say the DC is retro when it has the same generation hardware as the PS2?
But the DC flopped ages ago!

b.t.w. PS2 is definitely not retro!.

User avatar
Wildnites
Posts: 607
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:38 pm

Post by Wildnites » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:05 am

No, no, no, no.......
Please Sir I cannot tell a lie......

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:07 am

The Crazy Taxi argument is pretty moot, as far as the magazine goes. By someone saying "it's available on modern systems, you idiot!", you're pretty much saying that all VC/XBLA games also aren't retro. Crazy Taxi was included in Retro Gamer, because it's a game with a big retro feel.

In terms of systems, anyone calling a PS2 retro is plain crazy. It's still in stores, and it's on general sale. Dreamcasts haven't been in the likes of Argos for some time, and so there's more of an argument for adding that system to the retro pile, although it's clearly very recent as far as 'retro' goes.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

User avatar
GarryG
Posts: 3231
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:33 am
Location: The cold wet bit above England...

Post by GarryG » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:23 am

woody.cool wrote:But the DC flopped ages ago!
But it dosn't make it 'retro' because it flopped!
It was still made with relatively modern generation (one from current edge) hardware.
So like the PS2 it can't realy be considered a retro-system.


They both do have some retro-type-games though!

User avatar
Randall Flagg
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:21 am
Location: The Underwurlde
Contact:

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:04 am

GarryG wrote:
woody.cool wrote:But the DC flopped ages ago!
But it dosn't make it 'retro' because it flopped!
It was still made with relatively modern generation (one from current edge) hardware.
So like the PS2 it can't realy be considered a retro-system.


They both do have some retro-type-games though!
Hmmmm...When did "Official" support for the DC stop??? PS2 is still officially supported so how the hell can it be retro???
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests