Did you \"Type\" games in from books?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:21 am

Once and once only. The incentive was that it was by a duo who had written a commercial game for the C64 (can't remember who/what now); needless to say, it didn't work, even after checking back through it.

AdamDawes

Re:

Post by AdamDawes » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:14 am

OriginalJax wrote:Incidentally, did anybody here ever get that CEEFAX thing working with their BBC micros?
I didn't have a BBC micro so my only exposure to this was the pages of random-characters that you mentioned in your post.

However I do remember the BBC sending programs for other computers in the early hours of the morning. They would send the audio signals for the program that the computer would expect to load from tape. The idea was that you'd record the TV on to a C15 and then load from there into the computer.

I recorded one for the Speccy, thinking this was the coolest thing in the entire world. The next morning I got up and tried to load it. After about an hour of fiddling with the volume levels I finally got the "Program: xxx" header to display and it came up with a name like "MortgageCalc" or something unimaginably dull. I gave up after that.

OriginalJax

Post by OriginalJax » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:14 pm

Oh hell, another blast - you mentioned using a C15 :D

It was every kids introduction to warez - or just plain "copies" I suppose in those days. All your mates would have a bunch of 'em. I remember the Boots brand which were frosted clear plastic...

Looking back those were good times - at least if you were warezing it meant you actually go out of the house occasionally - even it was just to nip round yer mates with a bunch of tapes :)

O-Jax
WTF!? The 80's are GONE!? And they're never coming BACK!?

Miner_2049er

Re: Did you \"Type\" games in from books?

Post by Miner_2049er » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:36 pm

ZOoOpS wrote:Who can remember sitting and typing in games from book or magazines one bought?
used to type in from C&VG mag.

my brother got a specy and i would type in the games for him, that way i learned a bit about basic and could then translate specy and pet games into my Atari 400.

Leezer

Post by Leezer » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:49 pm

Talking bout typing in proggies - can anyone remember the Zzap! 64 april fools joke by andrew braybrook ? all you had to do was type in the 5 page listing and all your c64 games would be 50% faster............
So 6 hours later you saved the finished listing, eagerly loaded it up and ran it and it said "please insert game into data recorder", you quickly plonked some s-l-o-w game like elite into the tape loader and pressed any key..... it loaded for 10 seconds and then instead of displaying "found elite press any key to load" it said "APRIL FOOL"...........priceless grrrrrr

got me hook line and sinker.
Is it me or is mappy the greatest videogame of all time ???

OriginalJax

Post by OriginalJax » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:50 pm

My first type-in was on my mates VIC-20 - he let me borrow it one day while I was off school (throwing a sickie ;)). I sat for hours typing something in from a magazine without realizing that without the tape-deck I'd be unable to actually *save* the thing...

I started learning more quickly after that :|

O-Jax
WTF!? The 80's are GONE!? And they're never coming BACK!?

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:22 am

I tried a couple of type-in's with my dad when we had an Atari 65XE.

I remember one particular one, it took my dad hours to type in, I think he was up until the early hours.

He typed it all in, and IIRC, he entered the wrong command and loaded something over the contents of the memory! :-)

When I was at school, a friend of mine found an old copy of some basic type-in's. I think they were either called something like Input. From what I remember, it was one of them fortnightly things with different programs in.

Me and a couple of friends, armed with these type-ins started trying to type them in on BBC Basic on the old RM Nimbus machines at school. We did manage to get a couple of the programs working, but unfortanately not every one of them worked, which I'm assuming was down to inacurate emulation of Basic on these machines.

I'm not sure if I'd have the patience to do type-ins anymore. I do enjoy setting my spectrum emulator on the Xbox to load games in as they would on an original Speccy (i.e. taking a couple of minutes to load rather than loading instantly), but type-ins, well I don't think I would have the patience to do them unless I had the original machine to do it on.

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Mike Chicago

Post by Mike Chicago » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:21 pm

Yeah, I typed in my games as a kid. Punishing. Commodore Magazine was a particular favorite. Those days really imbedded a strange video game masochism in me. The amount of work and initial fantasy involved somehow became tangled up in the end result pleasure of it all. I feel that torture is what draws me now to emulation in general. If I can't enter through the back door, then I might as well look for something else to play. Without the appropriate amount of salt, it just doesn't taste right. I'm currently playing a dangerous game of nested emulation, where I can barely enjoy a game unless there are two tiers of emulators to crawl through, minimum: My favorite way to play NES is on the PlayStation ImbNES emulator running on Connectix Virtual Game Station on a Macintosh rebooted into OS 9.

Go figure. I blame you, BASIC.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:06 pm

I used to type in 'cheat' programs for infinite lives on my Speccy games
from computer mags
Inevitably they wouldn't work,and I would have to wait for the corrections in the next issue
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:38 pm

Mike Chicago wrote:Yeah, I typed in my games as a kid. Punishing. Commodore Magazine was a particular favorite. Those days really imbedded a strange video game masochism in me. The amount of work and initial fantasy involved somehow became tangled up in the end result pleasure of it all. I feel that torture is what draws me now to emulation in general. If I can't enter through the back door, then I might as well look for something else to play. Without the appropriate amount of salt, it just doesn't taste right. I'm currently playing a dangerous game of nested emulation, where I can barely enjoy a game unless there are two tiers of emulators to crawl through, minimum: My favorite way to play NES is on the PlayStation ImbNES emulator running on Connectix Virtual Game Station on a Macintosh rebooted into OS 9.

Go figure. I blame you, BASIC.
Best post of the day :D
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

jammajup

Post by jammajup » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:43 pm

ZOoOpS wrote:Who can remember sitting and typing in games from book or magazines one bought? I can, and here are a few of the fun things I remember about it.
Yeah i did it quite often,firstly sample programs from those orange sinclair manuals with the original 48K- latter i do remember typing in a program from a mag called `Big K` (i think that was its name),and when done i started changing the parameters and noticing how this changed the game when it was run and thats what pretty much got me interested in trying to design something myself.But of course that came to nothing :lol:
Jj
My small retro collection:
http://www.jammajup.co.uk/JJOTHER.html

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:54 am

Thinking about this a bit more, I'm sure I entered a type in from ST Format once.

They had a series on programing in 68000 assembler (something I really wanted to get into back in those days). I think the finished result gave a background, and the main character sprite from the game Flood. I vaguely remember being able to control the sprite with the joystick and run around firing things.

Not very exciting, but it seemed kinda cool.

Nowadays I dabble a bit in VB6 or Gambas on Linux, but nothing too serious.

It would be great if Retrogamer ran a series on programming, but I guess with there being so many different systems on so many different CPU's, it would be too much work.

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:12 am

I did the odd bit of typing in programs from magazines, but I never stuck with it. I do remember my Dad typing in a program from the Spectrum handbook that produced a flag on the screen...I think. Or am I imagining that ? :?

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:59 pm

Yep - been there , seen it, done it, bought the t shirt.

Seem to remember Your Computer being one of the worst offending magazines for errors, typing them in was fun for about 30 seconds or until you got by the REM statements(whichever came first).
They did prove useful though, if you paid a bit of attention, you could see how the various routines worked and related to each other.

gamingafter40

Post by gamingafter40 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:37 pm

In those very early days around 1979/1980, type-ins from magazines were a big part of my software collection for the TRS-80 Model I and Color Computer. I used to trade cassettes of listings we'd typed in with a friend from about twenty miles away, to save each other some effort. I actually learned a fair amount about programming from transferring those commands, line by line, into my own computer, and making instructive mistakes along the way.
-- Dale at GamingAfter40 -- http://www.gamingafter40.com