Emulation on the Vista x64 scene

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Nitters

Emulation on the Vista x64 scene

Post by Nitters » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:06 pm

Hi everybody - first time reader, first time post :D

I've been reading up on the emu scene - most of it seems to be x86 (ie Win32 based) does anyone have any info as to whether this stuff works on Vista x64?

Cheers,

Nitters.
#define QUESTION ((bb) | !(bb)) - Shakespeare.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:45 am

Didn't know anyone HAD Vista 64... :shock:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Nitters

Post by Nitters » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:19 am

Only me, by all accounts :)

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:59 am

I know someone who has Vista Ultimate, but not the 64 bit version. Don't things like MAME and WinUAE work on it?

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:38 pm

I've got Vista Ultimate - but dual boot.......

So, I always go into XP!! Will wait for new shiny things to come out on vista before I use that too much!

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:24 pm

Dolphin, the Gamecube emulator requires a 64-bit OS to run at the moment.

I suspect that many emulators will break on a 64-bit OS. Several Windows-based emulators contain 16-bit code, left over from the earlier DOS versions. IIRC, 16-bit instructions won't run on a 64-bit OS.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:51 pm

The simple answer is "most".
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Nitters

Post by Nitters » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:26 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys - I've managed to get MAME working, and Kega fusion - but some (notably some of the SNES emulators like SNES 9x) just refuse to play ball.

I'm not sure wether it's due to 16-Bit code, x86 instructions which aren't supported properly, UAC under Vista or what... but with MAME and Fusion running, I'm not going to be short of games :)

I will definietly check out Dolphin!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:42 pm

If you want to run old emulators (MAME, DosBox, WinUAE, etc) with Vista nowadays, you could use Virtual PC and keep XP on the PC that way and run the emulators through that.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:44 pm

I've got Vista Ultimate 64 bit on my PC and all the emulators I've tried work OK.

I'm currently running MAME, BeebEm and WinUAE and they all seem to work fine. Although with the new version of MAME some of my ROMs no longer seem to work. Does anyone know why this is? They worked on the older version but since I've started using the newer version they don't. :?

Nitters

Post by Nitters » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:09 pm

Xesh wrote:Although with the new version of MAME some of my ROMs no longer seem to work.
I think this is more of Mame thing. For some reason the MAME folks insist on breaking stuff in the name of hardware preservation, rather than just letting be, be.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:34 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Didn't know anyone HAD Vista 64... :shock:
I did .... until my laptop bust and I sent it back demanding a refund! (I only had it a month)

Anyway, Vista 64 has the ability to run 32 bit applications so Win32 based stuff should be fine. The only problem you will have is with 16 bit stuff because apparently Microsoft are supposed to of removed 16 bit support :x

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:54 pm

What is this utility called Dosbox I keep hearing about? Will that enable you to run older games on vista?

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Xesh wrote:What is this utility called Dosbox I keep hearing about? Will that enable you to run older games on vista?
Yes it will - to an extent!

DOSBox emulates a DOS PC - it emulates MS-DOS 6 or similar and will enable to run those really stubborn DOS games 'with sound' as it also emulates Sound Blaster, AdLib, Gravis UltraSound, Disney Sound Deluxe and PC Speaker (you can choose which to emulate in the options)

It also handles mounting ISO images as if they were CD-ROMs so you may find it beneficial to rip the CDs into ISO files. You can do a similar trick with floppies. It's possible with DOSBox to mount a floppy image as if it were a real disk in a real drive :D

Unfortunately, DOSBox will give you the performance of a 486SX at best - so more recent DOS titles will not play very well - as an example I've tried Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (the Eurocom/Gametek release), Mortal Kombat II and Worms and found the performance to be poor.

With older DOS games, it is a gem that works really well.

If the DOS game you are playing is newer and runs under Windows fine (but without sound - as most DOS games do under Windows) then you may find using VDMSound will give you better performance.

As for running DOS games under Vista - if you want full screen you'll most likely have to use DOSBox cos I found that on most Vista PCs trying to drop a DOS prompt into full screen shows something like this:

:x

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:11 pm

The performance of DOSbox is better these days, 0.70 was considerably better in that regard.

I probably get to about P90 level on my Core 2 Duo.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com