God Bless The Rom Hacking Scene...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

seabass

God Bless The Rom Hacking Scene...

Post by seabass » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:02 pm

I've manage to experince the delights of good Snes games in the name of Front Mission: Gun Hazard, Alachest, Treasure of the Rudras and Battle Suilts Valken and the wonderswan game, Dicing Knight (that game will make you go insane ¬_¬)

Anyone here played any transtlated or hacked games that felt was worthwhile?
I got love for you if were born in the 80's...yeah!

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:18 am

I got to play obscure Jap shooters for Saturn that I'd never have encountered in everyday life. So that was good.
Thoughts and prayers.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:52 am

I hacked/edited the NES version of Terra Cresta to make the enemy bullets more visible as they were really hard to see when playing via PocketNES on GBA.

It was a simple hack, but I felt pretty damned pleased with it.

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:24 am

There's a ton of Jap SNES games I've wanted to play for a long time but never got around to it... also Sweet Home on the NES is apparently a corker.
真・豪鬼

chewy

Re: God Bless The Rom Hacking Scene...

Post by chewy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:38 am

seabass wrote:I've manage to experince the delights of good Snes games in the name of Front Mission: Gun Hazard, Alachest, Treasure of the Rudras and Battle Suilts Valken and the wonderswan game, Dicing Knight (that game will make you go insane ¬_¬)

Is Battle Suits Valken the sequel to Assault Suits Valken/Cybernator?

Also, does anyone know if there is an English language hack of any of the Super Robot Wars games?

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:47 am

Rom hacking also works well in other ways. For instance, there have been some great hacks created to overhaul NHL '94, including new graphics, latest player rosters, player attribute tweaks and extra teams. Of course, the core NHL '94 gameplay remains intact.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:32 am

I always wanted a translation of Super Hanafuda on the Snes, you can just about muddle through it in Japanese but I'd like to play it properly it's a cool little title

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:55 am

I just hope, that someday they will do a translation for Persona 2: Innocent Sin. It feels kinda uncomplete with only Persona 2: Eternal Punishment available in English :(

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:31 am

Keeping up to date with Championship Manager 01/02 due to finding a forum site with members who are constantly hacking the game to keep it up to date. Player changes, New starting date, Competition Overhauls, speedups etc..
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

seabass

Post by seabass » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:46 pm

chewy wrote:
seabass wrote:I've manage to experince the delights of good Snes games in the name of Front Mission: Gun Hazard, Alachest, Treasure of the Rudras and Battle Suilts Valken and the wonderswan game, Dicing Knight (that game will make you go insane ¬_¬)

Also, does anyone know if there is an English language hack of any of the Super Robot Wars games?
Lol I meant Assualt Suits Valken...I wonder where I got the battle thing from ¬_¬
I got love for you if were born in the 80's...yeah!

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:16 pm

Emperor Fossil wrote:I hacked/edited the NES version of Terra Cresta to make the enemy bullets more visible.
That's just scary. Being able to do that, I mean. :o
Thoughts and prayers.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:33 pm

rossi46 wrote:
Emperor Fossil wrote:I hacked/edited the NES version of Terra Cresta to make the enemy bullets more visible.
That's just scary. Being able to do that, I mean. :o
It was actually really straightforward, thanks to a great program called "DirectEd Tile Editor", which lets you view the game's graphics is tile form, select a tile, and then edit the pixels right there on the screen. Basically I just re-drew the enemy bullet in a different colour to make it brighter, then saved the ROM, and that was it. :)

chewy

Post by chewy » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:40 am

seabass wrote:
chewy wrote:

Lol I meant Assualt Suits Valken...I wonder where I got the battle thing from ¬_¬
Damn, you had me well excited then...! ^_^

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:38 am

"Sweet Home" on the NES. Absolutely brilliant.

JimMiller

Post by JimMiller » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:37 pm

I just noticed that somebody mentioned that it would be nice to have the original Persona for psx translated. I too have read (I think it was on the hardcore gaming 101 site) that the first game was only released in Japan and believed this to be true. I even bought the Jap version when I saw it cheap because I thought it to be the only option. Imagine my surprise, when searching on ebay for the second game, when the original pops up in English! It seems it was released in the US after all so the translation problem is solved :) Unfortunately it is very rare and seems to be selling from £60-80 upwards. Still I just thought I'd mention that it is out there.