Phillips CDI - The Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

pocketmego

Phillips CDI - The Games

Post by pocketmego » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:08 am

I found this Promo from the old Phillips CDI, talking about all its "great" games. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx8Hx6SRkj8

It was really another time. :D

Remember all that, plus they raped Mario and Zelda too.

-Ray

rupert

Post by rupert » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:39 am

There were actually some good games, most were crap, but same can be said for alot of systems.

I thought the first 2 zelda games were ok. and you cant really compare mario as it was a puzzle game.

I must admit when I had one back in the day it seemed much better than it does now, they have not aged well at all, but there are definetly games worth playing on it.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:19 pm

Was it bundled with a Chess game and Tetris? I only remember seeing Voyeur and 7th Guest on it. As well as Myst (I think?).

pocketmego

Post by pocketmego » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:36 am

Katzkatz wrote:Was it bundled with a Chess game and Tetris? I only remember seeing Voyeur and 7th Guest on it. As well as Myst (I think?).
Like a few other game systems over the years, especially the more unsuccessful ones it was bundled with a number of games as in its lifetime. The one I most vividly remember it bundled with was it's best game, Burn Cycle.

-Ray

will2097

Re: Phillips CDI - The Games

Post by will2097 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:05 am

pocketmego wrote:I found this Promo from the old Phillips CDI, talking about all its "great" games. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx8Hx6SRkj8

It was really another time. :D

Remember all that, plus they raped Mario and Zelda too.

-Ray
Not all bad then?

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:13 am

I remember Dragon's Lair... It was more like an interactive movie than a game really (push the right button at the right time and the movie keeps going...). But at the time, it was quite new and fun as well...

I also remember another game, which you had to play with a gun... also very much like a western movie.
I'd love to get this system...

rupert

Post by rupert » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:48 pm

Spooky wrote:I remember Dragon's Lair... It was more like an interactive movie than a game really (push the right button at the right time and the movie keeps going...). But at the time, it was quite new and fun as well...

I also remember another game, which you had to play with a gun... also very much like a western movie.
Mad Dog McCree,

Its an excellent version imo

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:10 am

rupert wrote:
Spooky wrote:I remember Dragon's Lair... It was more like an interactive movie than a game really (push the right button at the right time and the movie keeps going...). But at the time, it was quite new and fun as well...

Mad Dog McCree,

Its an excellent version imo
That's right!
Thanks! I think I played it on arcade too...

merman

Post by merman » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:02 am

Was playing a CDi at the weekend, their version of Tetris is cool with photo backgrounds and chilled out music. Dragon's Lair 2 Timewarp is pretty good too.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

cdoty

Post by cdoty » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:01 pm

pocketmego wrote:Remember all that, plus they raped Mario and Zelda too.
Mario Hotel is a good game, by CD-i standards.
Visit RasterSoft on facebook or visit the website.

pocketmego

Post by pocketmego » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:42 am

cdoty wrote:
pocketmego wrote:Remember all that, plus they raped Mario and Zelda too.
Mario Hotel is a good game, by CD-i standards.
But, that is what really bothers me MOST about the CDi. It was a neat system. It was (at the time) a very original kind of gaming and entertainment system. But, it just failed to live up to any possible potential the system might have had, by having lazy programmers making lazy games in and including Hotel Mario.

-Ray

cdoty

Post by cdoty » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:10 am

pocketmego wrote:But, that is what really bothers me MOST about the CDi. It was a neat system. It was (at the time) a very original kind of gaming and entertainment system. But, it just failed to live up to any possible potential the system might have had, by having lazy programmers making lazy games in and including Hotel Mario.
Programming Frog Feast for the CD-I, I got a chance to truely understand the power and limitations of the CD-I. Part of the problem is that the lowly 68000 has to handle all screen redraws, without any hardware support. On top of that, the screen is normally 8 bit. Another problem is that the library delivered by Philips (Balboa) was horrible for game development.

To get decent speed out of a CD-I title takes a lot of 68000 code, and utilizing every known trick available.
Visit RasterSoft on facebook or visit the website.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:21 am

Even better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3g7soVo1vM

Check out the cheesy dance music and "I WANT ONE" being shouted out at the beginning :lol: :lol: :lol: