Greatest ever Atari XL/XE games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

regnad

Re: Greatest ever Atari XL/XE games

Post by regnad » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:22 am

How can you leave out Mr. Robot and his Robot Factory?

Platforming awesomeness combined with customized level awesomeness!

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:39 am

regnad wrote:How can you leave out Mr. Robot and his Robot Factory?

Platforming awesomeness combined with customized level awesomeness!
The editor was absolute genius, but the game was merely ok, there were better platformers on the A8.
HADDOCKEN!

bsg

Post by bsg » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:24 am

I remember buying (and it was full price!) a game by Red Rat Software(?) which the box made out to be a Ghosts 'n Goblins clone... and it was awful... I think I actually cried, much like when I bought the 'version' (and that is VERY loosely termed) of Green Beret that was released... Gauntlet (which is currently in my 810 DD) was godawful too - no atmosphere and no music!!

But good games...

Fort Apocolypse
Star Raiders
LA Games 1984 (if I recall the title correctly - was an arcade port??)
Miner 2049'r (FAR superior to BBSB)
Montezumas Revenge (that game had me hooked for months - and still does when I occasionally replay it!)
Choplifter!!
Ninja (£1.99 Mastertronic title?) - the crossover game I played from my A8 to ST - even though the ST version SUCKED!
The Eidolon, well, damn near ALL the Lucas Arts games back then - they transcended 8 bit... they were ermm... 8 and a half bit :D

It was a shame the system sold so badly, becdause the potential was there for a major 8 bit contender... it would have been a 4 way war if only software houses had supported it with as much enthusiasm as they did the C64, Speccy and Arnold... instead, they just released lack lustre ports 3 years after the games were popular

Sill, it was my first ever computer, and I still have it in fact - sat behind me with another one for spares, an XC12 tape deck (my 1010 died... want nuvver one :cry: ) 810 drive and many MANY tapes and discs...
http://www.youtube.com/user/bsg7 < my Youtube games review / collection channel

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:22 am

That Ghost N Goblins clone by Red Rat? Domain of the undead-Lot of fuss over subject matter at the time (hard as it is to believe now).Green Beret, Yep poor on A8, sadly.Gauntlet? Hellish loading times, was last game i ever bought for my A8.By then?Combination of loading times/Lack of new software convinced me to get a C64.Piracy was another factor that put publishers off the Atari.real shame as the machine had so much potential and some amazing games, that seemed cut down when i played the C64 ver.Loved Ninja, was shocked when i saw the scathing review Zzap 64 gave C64 version.Very harsh.

bsg

Post by bsg » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:12 pm

thevulture wrote:That Ghost N Goblins clone by Red Rat? Domain of the undead-Lot of fuss over subject matter at the time
THATS the bugger... it was really terrible... ermm, a GnG clone where you can't JUMP??????

The A8 always was, and always will be my first love when it comes to computing, because it was the first I had, and I was the first to have one in my town (that I know of)

Gauntlet takes 87 seconds to load the first screen, the selection screen (as in 'press space') from disc... and it then takes another 45 seconds to load the 'choose player' screen... 90 minutes later, you get to actually play the (crap!) game... and as an added bonus, you have to actually FLIP the disc at certain points :lol:

OOoh, Ollies Follies was a fantastic game as well - never got much a reception but was brilliant to play!
http://www.youtube.com/user/bsg7 < my Youtube games review / collection channel

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:14 pm

My personal favourites are:

Star Raiders
Astrochase
Boulderdash (1,2,construction kit)
Leggit
Zorro
Zybex

ny152

Post by ny152 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:57 pm

My favourites on the old Atari;

Mercenary
Diamonds
Thrust
Star Raiders
Bounty Bob Strikes Back
MIssile Command
Action Biker

Still have my original 800XL and over the years added a 1050 disk drive, touch tablet, trackball etc. It's all half-setup at the moment with the pc adaptor, will need to find some time and enjoy it again soon :)

Used to love reading Page 6 / New Atari User magazine(s) as well. Biggest problem was getting games in Glasgow. Apart from Boots and a unit in a local market (Cambridge Arcade any Weegies?) they were really hard to find. Used to stock up on tapes when I was on holiday in England. And Silica Shop ruled!!

regnad

Post by regnad » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:24 am

Strip Poker?

Seriously, though, I enjoyed Whistler's Brother, which hasn't been mentioned yet I think.

My absolute favorite was Bruce Lee, which has been mentioned.

SIR'86

Post by SIR'86 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:45 am

My first job was in a computer shop selling Atari 8-bit computers, so I have very fond memories of them. I did own one at one point.

The games I remember the most, and have the most affection for are:

Miner 2049'er (Cheat code = 2137826861, the telephone number of the publisher!)
Fort Apocalypse
Drelbs
Shamus
Zeppelin
Encounter
Rescue On Fractalus
Koronis Rift
Ballblazer
Boulderdash
M.U.L.E. (All time favourite)
Archon
All the Infocom adventure games with their excellent packaging and freebies.
Star Raiders
Wayout

Some of those were on the C64, but the Atari versions were often better, and generally ran faster.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:05 pm

Ooh, someone's revived my first ever thread! :)

A shoutout for Cavernia - great platform type game.

Slackdog

Post by Slackdog » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:18 pm

Ninja! Hehe first game I ever completed..Fond memories of getting up early before my paper round. great game and loved the music!

So best..

Star raiders ofc
Ninja
Fort Apocalypse
Panther - great tune!
Warhawk - though that could be mainly for the tune again tbh, lol! Anyone else load the game just for the great title music? No? Bugger!

Oh and will add others later! :P
What was more amazing to me was the challenge of making it work on the less capable Commodore 64. It was a real nightmare implementation, but I did it. - Archer Maclean

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:04 pm

Slackdog wrote:Ninja! Hehe first game I ever completed..Fond memories of getting up early before my paper round. great game and loved the music!

So best..

Star raiders ofc
Ninja
Fort Apocalypse
Panther - great tune!
Warhawk - though that could be mainly for the tune again tbh, lol! Anyone else load the game just for the great title music? No? Bugger!

Oh and will add others later! :P
Yeah , another vote for the music of Warhawk and the genius that is Rob Hubbard. One of the (infintessimally small) number of times that the SID chip was beaten hands down.

IIRC 30 minute loading time though!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:29 pm

^^ IMHO Warhawk's music is a reduced version on A8 with the POKEY incapable of reaching into higher octaves for one of the themes, and with fewer different waveforms available compared to the SID it doesn't have the same variety of 'instruments'. Ultimately it's down to personal preference of course (I prefer the C64 version as I think there's more variety).

But yeah, blimey. Three year old thread and up it pops.

I like the A8 version of Zaxxon - it looks a bit sparse but the scrolling is super smooth. You really can't beat a bit of Yoomp! though. One of my favourite 8-bit games.

I keep thinking that an Atari 8-bit conversion of Wizball could be awesome - I mean, it's just a two way scroller like Dropzone. I think the main problem would be that landscape characters come above the horizon. Atari graphics work much better colour-wise when you can split the screen cleanly into horizontal bands.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:35 pm

Been sooo long since i heard A8 music, quick trip to youtube and it all came flooding back. Panther, Jet Set Willy, Zybez, Warhawk, Draconus, Feud, Ninja, IK etc.Nice!

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:09 am

Have you checked out ASMA, the A8 equivalent of the High Voltage Sid Collection? Obviously not nearly as much content, but I expect all the ones you mentioned will be there, plus a few more besides.

http://asma.atari.org/
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)